Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Webster
United States
Owosso
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Billy, get in the squad car. Johnny, Jenny, do your parents know you're poking around the old Mitchell Estate?"

"Aw Sheriff, you know my pop's too drunk to care where I'm... Gee whiz! What's that!?"

Spinning around on the porch of the Mitchell family manor and squinting his eyes to block the last rays of the setting sun that shot through the legs of the Woodinvale water tower, Sheriff Anderson saw them for the first time. A slow, ugly, mumbling cluster of what might have been humans that somewhat resembled the Ellis couple and their little girl were advancing up the short driveway towards the squad car. Might have been. Past tense.

Billy sprinted back to the front porch and the safety of his father's service revolver. All the while Sheriff Anderson was temporarily mesmerized by his first sight of Woodinvale's undead. That's a typical response. So's the blood curdling scream Jenny emitted.

"Run for it!" shouted Johnny. That suggestion seemed reasonable to everone, so off the ran. Three people, three directions.

Jenny made it across the small field to her parent's farmhouse. "Where does pa keep the bird rifle," she thought as she crashed through the front door. "Look fast, find something, anything." In the basement she found her father's acetylene torch. "This'll have to do." She beat it out the front door as what appeared to be Calvin, the farmhand clumsily climbed through the kitchen window. Glass shards in your neck would normally hurt. But Calvin isn't quite normal anymore.

Meanwhile, Johnny was able to find a first aid kit on grease monkey Jeb's toolbox. "Hmm, I wonder where Jeb's at anyway?" (Well Johnny, we wonder 'what' Jeb is right about now, not 'where'.) I better hightail it back to the Mitchell place, Jenny might need some help. She's the kind of girl that needs a hero like me."

Sheriff Anderson was keeping two steps ahead of the Ellis family as he made a quick search of the diner. Not finding anything inside he was heading back across the parking lot when he noticed a flare gun in the passenger seat of a car. "Never look a gift horse in the mouth." One smashed window later and now he had two hand weapons.

Everyone made it back to the Mitchell place unharmed. While the kids made a stand on the back porch (zeds aren't too keen about Jenny's torch), Sheriff Anderson efficiently disposed of two walkers from just inside what was once the stately front door of the largest home in all of Woodinvale.

Luck began to run thin as the know-it-all kids decided that weapons were not going to be found in that empty house and so another sprint into town would be necessary. Johnny took a nasty gash to his arm. His fists are fast, but the teeth of a hungry zombie can still find their mark once and a while. Billy watches from the edge of Jenny's family cornfield and sees the approaching former number one car salesman in town, with his navy blue suit tattered and blood smeared. Nearby Johnny quickly wipes antiseptic on his wound and wraps a length of gauze around it.

Jenny finds out the hard way that pa was meaning to get a new torch as the one in the basement didn't have much life left in it.

Sheriff Anderson made good use of that flare gun. A least the small bonfire created by the zombie with a burning flare in his chest is providing a little light in the otherwise pitch black town. He was able to make to the high school gym door. He kicked it in, took a quick look around and realized that searching here would be waste of time. Time is something he doesn't have. With each passing moment the walkers are multiplying. They now seem to be pouring out of the overrun diner. (They used to serve passable burgers there. Now it looks they're only serving up customers - all you can, brain chili special $1.49.) Time to get back to the Mitchell place before it too is overrun.

By the time all four survivors make to back into the house they hear at least three of those undead clomping their way through the old parlor.

"We're not going to make it!" cried Jenny.

"Stop that crazy talk," said Johnny. "I'll lure them away. Billy, take Jenny back to her barn. Maybe she can find something useful there. Go through the cornfield."

"I'll go check out the airplane hanger," said the sheriff. "I know where they keep a supply of flares. These durned things hate them flares."

Well the hanger may be where the flares are kept, but tonight it's also where a nest of zeds were holed up. The sheriff emptied his revolver in the biggest one to no avail. It was a valient fight, but one man is hardly a match for three zombies when they smell fresh blood. RIP Sheriff Anderson, you'll never know how it all ends.

Billy and Jenny found trudging through the damp mud of the cornfield harder than they hoped. "There's a fire extinguisher just inside the barn door," offered Jenny. "Let me grab it and then let's get back to the house, Billy. At least there we can see them coming. Besides, the sky's starting to lighten up. Maybe when the sun comes up they'll leave us alone so we can get away."

Johnny was lucky enough to find a cleaver stuck in the neck of a truly lifeless walker on the doorstep of the bank. "Ah, now we're talking. Back to the house and time to do a little butchering of my own."

On his way up the front steps of the house Johnny spots Nurse O'Dell cringing behind one of the facade's big stone pillars. "Becky, is that you? And what's that you're holding, a rake?"

"Get away from me, get away. So help me..."

"Whoa, Becky. It's me, Johnny. Remember you helped wrap my ankle after last Friday's football game?"

"Oh, Johnny. I'm so scared. Look out!"

Johnny spins to see what used to be the old lady who sat in park every day shambling towards him. (That's odd, she seems to be walking faster now in her undead state than she did when she was alive. More erect too.) "That's it! I've had it." Johnny goes on a rampage. He was able to dispatch old Mrs. Gilmore, but his bravado quickly gave out as he ran into what can only be described as an old time campmeeting of the walking dead in the Mitchell's old dining room. It was nice while it lasted Johnny. Too bad you can't see the sun peeking up over the eastern horizon; that's because eyeballs are to a zombie like doughnuts are to Deputy Taylor.

Jenny wielding the fire extinguisher proved to be the deciding factor. Evidently the cold powder causes something akin to pain to zombies as no less than four walkers, including one that looked amazingly a lot like the sheriff, tried frantically to get away from the spray. This cleared all the zombies off the back porch of the manor house and even those inside the back door. With all the attention directed toward the back of the house and main dish (Johnny tartar) being served in the dining room, Becky made quick use of the pitchfork she found earlier.

As the sun came up Billy directed Jenny and Becky quickly to his dad's squad car and sped away. Far away.

Fade out. Roll credits.

Game end - only 2 zombies in the manor. At most, 7 zombies were in the manor (until the fire extinguisher in the last turn scared them away).

Survivors - Billy, Jenny, Becky.
Not Survivors - Sheriff Anderson dies turn 3, Johnny dies (being stupid) turn 1.

(EDIT: Grammar police cited me for careless use of the English language. I attempted to clean it up.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great session report.

But...you're from the USA and use the word torch for flashlight? MIND BLOWN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Great session report.

Pick up the pieces and carry on...wasn't that torch an acetylene torch?

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Webster
United States
Owosso
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card actually says "Welding Torch". I'm no machinist, but I didn't think an acetylene torch burned hot enough to weld anything but the softest of metals. Jenny was appreciative that it was plenty hot enough to toast zombie limbs and appendages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
armor_11 wrote:
jcb231 wrote:
Great session report.

Pick up the pieces and carry on...wasn't that torch an acetylene torch?

Tim

Okay, I thought he meant a flashlight by the session report. My mind is restored into my skull all neat-like. But the stains on the carpet will last forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.