S R
Australia
flag msg tools
I am new to LNOE (Timber Peak to be precise). A question...

The "taken over" rule description indicates that a building overrun by zombies has a Taken Over marker placed on it. If this situation was NOT caused by a card (eg "Building Overrun"), but instead caused just by filling a building manually with zombies, is there any way to get rid of the 'taken over' building effect? My assumption is that any event that allows a zombie card to be cancelled (eg 'Miles, Blast Miner') could not be used as no zombie card was played. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

[Placed in LNOE thread as it did not seem to be expansion specific]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain it says somewhere that any card that can cancel a remains in play card can also cancel a Taken Over or Lights Out token. I'm not sure which rulebook/faq it was in, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for quick reply Nick. It is probably not critical, but I'm curious to know as most rules and faqs seem to only mention 'taken over' rooms as those resulting from card play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can fill a building manually with Zombies to take it over? Is that in the rules somewhere?

The only mechanic I am aware of that is similar to this is the Zombie Apocalypse scenario from Growing Hunger. But that creates a Destroyed building. In that case you fill the building manually to "overrun it" which means you place a Taken Over token face down so that it can't be undone. But that is a scenario specific mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
Australia
flag msg tools

From the 'Timber Peak' rules , p4 game components:"Taken Over - Sometimes a building will be overrun with Zombies to the point that the Heroes can't enter it anymore. This is usually caused by a card effect. When this happens, a Taken Over marker is placed on the building." [my emphasis]

Use of 'usually' is what made me think a straight overrun was still possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bikeways wrote:
The "taken over" rule description indicates that a building overrun by zombies has a Taken Over marker placed on it. If this situation was NOT caused by a card

Actually, I don't think this is possible. The rules probably should have been more specific, but it does say Taken Over is "usually caused by a card effect."

Personally, I wouldn't place a marker on the board based only on the Zombie player moving zombies into a building. You have to play a card that allows it, and that card can then be canceled as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bikeways wrote:
Use of 'usually' is what made me think a straight overrun was still possible.

Oops, I cross-posted on that comment....

Maybe "usually" means it could sometimes be caused by a scenario effect? FFP occasionally writes rules with intentional vagueness to allow for future expansions. I didn't interpret it to mean it could be caused by normal player tactics, but I can see how somebody might come to that conclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree that would cause confusion. I see how you could draw that conclusion...but absent a rule that says "This is how you Take Over a building without a card, etc., etc.", I think the only means we have available now is in the Zombie cards.

To the original question - those cards remain in play until cancelled. Once cancelled the token goes with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
Australia
flag msg tools

Thanks all. This was my first posting to BGG - very happy with the replies!

For closure, I will definitely play Taken Over disks as a card only effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an optional rule as part of the expansions' dot system that allows buildings to start the game taken over, so that would be the case where it occurs outside card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you've stumbled into something that would be an awesome "dot system" rule for the zombie players. Not quite sure what to set the dot number at though. VERY cool power idea for the zombie player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadious wrote:
There is an optional rule as part of the expansions' dot system that allows buildings to start the game taken over, so that would be the case where it occurs outside card play.

Perfect! Good call! You're right - and in that case the token would be able to be removed as a remains in play card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
I think you've stumbled into something that would be an awesome "dot system" rule for the zombie players. Not quite sure what to set the dot number at though. VERY cool power idea for the zombie player!

I'm fairly sure it already exists as part of both Last Night on Earth: Growing Hunger & Last Night on Earth: Survival of the Fittest, but someone who actually owns the expansions is free to correct me. From memory, Lights Out was 1 dot while Taken Over was 2 dots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hairy Priest
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's in the Survival of the Fittest rulebook.

For a Random Building, the cost is 2 Dots per building Taken Over.

If the Zombie player selects the building(s), the cost is 3 Dots per building Taken Over.

The rulebook states that the Taken Over marker can be canceled as if it were a Zombie Card that Remains in Play, so even though it wasn't put into play by a card effect, it's still treated like one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nuncupatory wrote:
It's in the Survival of the Fittest rulebook.

For a Random Building, the cost is 2 Dots per building Taken Over.

If the Zombie player selects the building(s), the cost is 3 Dots per building Taken Over.

The rulebook states that the Taken Over marker can be canceled as if it were a Zombie Card that Remains in Play, so even though it wasn't put into play by a card effect, it's still treated like one.

That's not the same. The ability you two are referring to is at the start of the game during setup.

The OP has accidentally created a rule where if a building gets filled with zombies it automatically becomes "Taken Over." BIG difference, as this rule would allow the zed players to methodically take over buildings during the game. A powerful ability that I think deserves a dot-balancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hairy Priest
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
That's not the same. The ability you two are referring to is at the start of the game during setup.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't replying to the OP's question, but the post directly above mine which asked about the Dot system. I probably should have quoted him in my reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nuncupatory wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

Oh, sorry, I wasn't replying to the OP's question, but the post directly above mine which asked about the Dot system. I probably should have quoted him in my reply.

So it is just Ian that's wrong, you're forgiven. :-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:

Maybe I missed it but I don't see where Ian is wrong. He pointed out that the DOT rule exists for set up at the start of the game. And that it would be an example of how Taken Over markers can be in the game without a remains in play card. Where is the error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

Maybe I missed it but I don't see where Ian is wrong. He pointed out that the DOT rule exists for set up at the start of the game. And that it would be an example of how Taken Over markers can be in the game without a remains in play card. Where is the error?

Read the OP.

Part of the initial confusion involved the belief that once a building is filled with zombies it becomes "taken over."

That concept is not officially in the game. It could, however, be added as a fan-custom dot-system rule if a sensible number of dots could be agreed upon.

Totally different than the start of the game taken over or lights out setup rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Carcking wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

Read the OP.

Part of the initial confusion involved the belief that once a building is filled with zombies it becomes "taken over."

That concept is not officially in the game. It could, however, be added as a fan-custom dot-system rule if a sensible number of dots could be agreed upon.

Totally different than the start of the game taken over or lights out setup rule.

Ah, I see. There is a miscommunication. I was referring to Ian's first post:
Arcadious wrote:

Which is an accurate statement.

I believe your comment:
jcb231 wrote:

was not clear that you were taking Ian's post into account, and that you intended the mechanic to be in-game as opposed to at start-up, so he posted again to reiterate that it was already in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.