Popular Tags: [View All]
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hello, I have a question to those who own the game and are passionate about miniatures in general.

How do the miniatures in this game stack up against other popular miniature based games?

Is the quality of the plastic hard/soft?

Would you say they are sub-par to other popular miniature brands like Games Workshop and such?

Any feedback would be nice at all to have, cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely better than the soft plastic in most boardgames with miniatures. Heroes are soft, but the monsters are a sort of hardish vaguely rubbery plastic. Not as good as GW or other styrene plastic, but if you see the various photos of painted mini's, painters have done a good job. The miniatures are pre-assembled (break 'em apart an rebase) and posters have reported missing parts. Retail box contains orcs and arachnids, and the art doesn't quite fit the "generic fantasy" style of Reaper, FFG, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sam and Max wrote:
Definitely better than the soft plastic in most boardgames with miniatures. Heroes are soft, but the monsters are a sort of hardish vaguely rubbery plastic. Not as good as GW or other styrene plastic, but if you see the various photos of painted mini's, painters have done a good job. The miniatures are pre-assembled (break 'em apart an rebase) and posters have reported missing parts. Retail box contains orcs and arachnids, and the art doesn't quite fit the "generic fantasy" style of Reaper, FFG, etc.

Thanks a lot, that is a very helpful answer.

Do you reckon face details have been lost or become muddled? Any specific complains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MauroP wrote:
Do you reckon face details have been lost or become muddled? Any specific complains?

I wouldn't say so. They are very stylized (as you can tell from the art) but the level of detail is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of board game (non-tabletop) miniatures, the minis in Myth are some of the best I've ever seen. MCG uses the same plastic as Privateer Press, so it is hobby level plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
swirlsaepi wrote:
In terms of board game (non-tabletop) miniatures, the minis in Myth are some of the best I've ever seen. MCG uses the same plastic as Privateer Press, so it is hobby level plastic.

Oh, I must have misunderstood then, I thought these were all produced by Panda Games (As their website suggests), but you say they had the miniatures produced elsewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
MauroP wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:

Oh, I must have misunderstood then, I thought these were all produced by Panda Games (As their website suggests), but you say they had the miniatures produced elsewhere?

Hey Mauro - still looking for a manufacturer for Darklight? Good to hear. MCG = Megacon Games, so all he is saying is that they had their manufacturer use the same plastic as PP. I don't know who actually did the manufacturing, but you might shoot Brian Shotton a PM and ask:
http://boardgamegeek.com/user/BShotton

For a first effort game, you could certainly do a hell of a lot worse if you ended up with quality similar to Myth. Some of your finer details in your models may be lost, but that's likely to happen anyway unless you want to break the bank.

EDIT - though, since you are working on a slightly larger scale, it might not be an issue. FWIW, I wish you would scale down to 28mm/32mm so they are compatible with the majority of the minis I have...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the manual :
Miniature Production
ZIBOBIZ International LTD
Fortress Figures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
pinkymadigan wrote:

Hey Mauro - still looking for a manufacturer for Darklight?

Always good to have options and learn from the good work of others

pinkymadigan wrote:

For a first effort game, you could certainly do a hell of a lot worse if you ended up with quality similar to Myth. Some of your finer details in your models may be lost, but that's likely to happen anyway unless you want to break the bank.

Finding that fine balance between quality and practicality is important especially because I do not want to bleed the backers pockets either!

pinkymadigan wrote:

EDIT - though, since you are working on a slightly larger scale, it might not be an issue. FWIW, I wish you would scale down to 28mm/32mm so they are compatible with the majority of the minis I have...

Coincidentally, they will be compatible with Kingdom Death miniatures:

Actually it is not really a coincidence, it is something to do with 3D printed miniatures. Detail starts to get really lost when you scale any lower. I appreciate what you are saying, but if you think about it, even if I made them smaller they wouldn't be compatible with other popular miniatures you have because the size isn't Heroic, as it was deemed as too cartoonish for a game like Darklight.

Endevor wrote:
From the manual :
Miniature Production
ZIBOBIZ International LTD
Fortress Figures

Thanks a lot for the info. I think Fortress Figures were used only to produce the metal casts (Their website does not suggest they work with plastic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coincidentally, also why I had no interest in KD.

I have thousands of figures in the 28-32mm range. Then I have a handful from Descent 1E that are either true 28mm or sub 28mm that never get used for anything, because they look out of place.

I get that there is a 3D printer revolution going on, but I think I'm going to wait for it to catch up to regular manufacturing standards. I just don't need mini's that don't work with what I already have.

Now, the game I'm still interested in.

Anyway, probably off-topic enough now...

Myth minis are good quality. A bit cartoony by design, so that probably helps eliminate some of the finer detail, but what's there is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
pinkymadigan wrote:

Myth minis are good quality. A bit cartoony by design, so that probably helps eliminate some of the finer detail, but what's there is very good.

People seems to speak about them pretty well, I have checked some unboxing videos too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1152012/myth-miniatures-a-ho...

I wrote up this. Overall great quality but much more flashing than I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
super... wrote:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1152012/myth-miniatures-a-ho...

I wrote up this. Overall great quality but much more flashing than I like.

Thanks a lot that was great feedback, the comparison between GW and Reaper bones was a very good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fortney
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality sculpts with a nice, stylized look. Awful bases.

Just...just awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eh i found the bases are ok. i just used a bit of tape to cover the holes before painting. quick simple and cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I'd echo much of what's said above. I've only seen and handled the orcs and bugs (and heroes) but the quality is great. I also love the bases, though I'll have to fill in lots of gaps with greenstuff.

In case Mauro comes back, I'm also following your Darklight project but would also have to agree with Mike. I wouldn't buy in if the minis are out of scale with the thousands of Reaper, GW, PP, and other ~30mm figures that I have. Like Mike, that was the number one reason I didn't back Kingdom Death. (and a significant reason as to why I was frustrated with Myth) They don't look good alongside the vast majority of my collection.

I'm mostly a hobbyist and painter, but I would gladly sacrifice a little quality to have scale in line with the other minis I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thanks a lot for the feedback I really appreciate it.

I also want to point out that as you said Matt (In regarding to the Myth miniatures), the scale is not the only necessary thing to make it fit your collection, the style has to fit as well and that is Heroic 28mm, a style which is not ideal to the art direction of Darklight itself as it uses darker tones then general fantasy.

What I can suggest (And sometimes even encourage) is that if people is so keen to use different miniature for a game they own, then go for the whole conversion and adapt the rules to your miniatures, I know it is not ideal but it would be a shame to let something so trivial ruin the chance to experience something far deeper

I mean I assume people own Myth for the gameplay as well, don't you think it would have been a shame to miss out based purely on a few mm of miniature size? (But I guess that is a matter of personal tastes/priorities).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I expected to dislike the bases, when I first opened the box. After just a little work though, I've grown to love them. They look great if you cover the slots and add some color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.