Subject: DustTactics on kickstarter ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
so i guess DG is in such a dire financial crunch that they need to use kickstarter to get the ball rolling , even faster than the BF guy mentioned in his interview about why they were rushing the new starters to market to get the fast cash flow that BF and DG needed to keep going ...........

http://www.dust-tactics.com/

it always looks bad to me when a company with so many previous releases does a kickstarter . it suggests to me that they are on some downward spiral , or just dont have faith in their product and dont want to produce more units than they absolutely need due to low expectations of sales .

they mention that they want to rush product to market , but then if that IS the case , then how long between the flood of operation babylon units and the next expansion ? looks like and regular release schedule is out the window now .

they mention being able to offer more options more quickly , but i would suppose that still means that each variant option will still be sold seperatly for a higher price .

either way , i will look at the kickstarter , just to see what they have planned , but i am 99.9999999999% sure i wont bother funding it since it will be for 2nd ed so i am now being extra picky in what i DO buy for dust since i already have so much work ahead with first ed posts and projects . but i am sure the die hard uberfans will rush in to throw money at their feet . the kickstarter for MERCS:RECON netted well over $800,000 , so it will be interesting to see how a miniatures war game fares next to a skirmish game .

on the plus side , the pics look like we can expect A1 infantry , i wonder what kind of super stats they will come with ? anyone want to guess how they will cheese them out for 2nd ed ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As i said on Facebook, i ll happily Back if it comes with V1 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Triangle Area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris I thought u would back it for a doller just to post comments . Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
soccer_knight5 wrote:
Kris I thought u would back it for a doller just to post comments . Lol
no , let them have their rabid uber fans fawning over it .

ironicaly , by doing a kickstarter , they bypass the retail chains , so it means putting out a product that even fewer stores will end up ordering , and thus they kinda hurt themselves buy taking sales away from the brick and mortar stores that many PLAYERS rely on to meet and play at .

besides , every dollar i save is another dollar i can spend on all the materials i use to mod with that DG does NOT carry !

it would take a miracle for me to find a reason to back it , i mean seriously , it would have to come with a free hooker .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hooker probably depends whether the KS is based out of Hong Kong or New Zealand. Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J.
msg tools
mbmbmb
I always had the suspicion that the Operation Babylon stuff is the last we will see from Dust - going KS just underlines this.

Nevertheless I will go in full scale if they ship from within Europe. The Dust rules are simple enough that you can come up with your own stats easily so i don't have to take their V2 BS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this news for a few reasons, pretty much mentioned above.

1) I don't have any money right now to back this, so now I'm afraid there will be stuff I want that I can't get because it's exclusive for backers only.

2) It signals that the company is not confident that their product will make enough money to be profitable, and they are trying to reduce their risk.

3) Takes away business from the stores, and I've already heard that the stores aren't stocking as much Dust as they were before.

4) If they're doing kickstarter now, it probably means they haven't actually started much production of Babylon units, which means the release is still a long ways off, after already having a year that has been very very slow, release-wise.

I've more or less given up on Dust anyways lately. I picked up Dropzone Commander last year, and now that seems to be the only minis game my friends want to play with me. But I'm really hoping to get back into Dust at some point soon when the dust on this transition settles. I'm still waiting though.

I see only 2 positive things for this Kickstarter:

1) Kickstarters tend to cause some hype and excitement, so perhaps this will actually spread the word a bit more about this game.

2) Paolo has consistently said that their company is doing well financially, but if they are not, perhaps this will give them some needed resources to keep the game going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have serious KS fatigue and cast a jaundiced eye on established companies running them for many of the same reasons, but it sounds like this is more a matter of speeding up the production process than any deeper troubles with the brand.

Part of me would like to kick in just to support the game, but my vow to swear off KS projects and a general ambivalence to what I've seen of the new wave means I probably won't.

I'll see what the actual KS entails when it's released in a few days before deciding for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the price is right, I'll pick up all three armies. Having some A1 troops for each army would be nice. Many of the vehicles look to be new ones or at least ones I don't have, yet. That's a plus, too!

I hope one of the KS exclusive stretch goals is a red wig for the hooker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is sad BF destroyed such a gem.

Long live classic dust! Its up to us now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it signals even more gloom soblue

If they have to go Kickstarter for Babylon... then i see no way they are going to have the promised Japanese and Vrill factions come out anytime soon.

Bringing a new faction at this stage would require a big $$$ to get it rolling. Tons of new units to produce just for a new faction to be on par with the old ones.

Or maybe they are planning on kickstarting those as well... ?

If this Kickstarter fails... then what? End of Dust?

Either way, i never kickstarted anything and don't plan on starting now. I'm kindof against established publishers using Kickstarter. It's the publisher's job to fork the finances and $$$ to develop the product. If they can't do that, then get out of the business. Let us deal directly with the designers and finance them directly. The publisher serves little purpose...

For special very limited collectors edition, like the Designer's Ogre or a new War of the Rings collector's, then yeah... let them use Kickstarter and i don't blame them. For regular editions? nope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Felkor wrote:
1) Kickstarters tend to cause some hype and excitement, so perhaps this will actually spread the word a bit more about this game.
I'll agree with this.

What Dust needs now is eyeballs, and plenty of them. Last year's transition from FFG to BF was something of a dull squib, without much fanfare or sizzle (and a fair amount of griping from the existing fanbase.) So if this KS campaign acts as a "grand re-opening" of sorts for Battlefront's vision for Dust Tactics, then I say go right ahead & wish them all the luck in the world.

p.s.
Although now my polar-gear units are gonna look awfully out-of-place next to these desert-gear units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well This sucks, here i am really getting into Dust V1, and enjoying the hell out of the game (except superhumans and aircraft) and i would love to do this kickstarter get some exclusives and maybe some stretch goals, but i have no interest in V2, which kinda kills any motivation i would have to buy into this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this actually mean that the "Starter Sets" didn't sell so well? Maybe they were expecting $$ from those sales to front the money for Babylon and it fizzled?

Doing a kickstarter must be an attempt at generating new customers/ free hype. I guess they saw how well MYST did? People LOVE tons of plastic minis, BF will capitalize on that! I wonder how expensive these packs will be!?

Looks like these kickstater units wont include new dice? maybe a stretch goal.

These Babylon unit packs should have been the Starter Sets. End of Story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They want to release all the three armies together and, you know well, it needs a lot of $$ to do all at once. Of course, they want to do some advertice of the new edition too so KS seems the best choice, like many many other producer did with a lot of success (you know well why KS is a better source of fast income instead of asking to bank loans...)

I am an old Tactics player like many of you and I loved it, but after reading and playing tactics 2.0 and the upcoming battlefield I like it much more, but I think it's personal. Please, don't start thinking the worst or spread hate for this, I think it's a really smart move and the best for everyone interested in the game because it will be a bargain for sure (and you don't have to wait an year of course, the models are ready as you can see).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
They want to release all the three armies together and, you know well, it needs a lot of $$ to do all at once. Of course, they want to do some advertice of the new edition too so KS seems the best choice, like many many other producer did with a lot of success (you know well why KS is a better source of fast income instead of asking to bank loans...)

I am an old Tactics player like many of you and I loved it, but after reading and playing tactics 2.0 and the upcoming battlefield I like it much more, but I think it's personal. Please, don't start thinking the worst or spread hate for this, I think it's a really smart move and the best for everyone interested in the game because it will be a bargain for sure (and you don't have to wait an year of course, the models are ready as you can see).

i am a wet behind the ears brand new player who is currently sticking to V1 but i gotta ask isnt the amount of dice needed a bit of a turn off? i could probably get around the movement and LOS but the dice fest aspect really sours it for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Y'know, I have my own issues with some of BF's decisions since the transition, but holy crap, compared to some of you guys I'm basically a happy little unicorn dancing in a meadow. Seriously guys, the constant gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing is getting freaking old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always a little worried when companies go to KS because of how much I have to shell out all at one time. I have to admit of course that when I saw the add I did subconsciously reach into my wallet and start chucking $100 bills at the screen. Anyone who is worried about V2 should not be in my opinion. I think they've cleaned the game up and rebalanced things... at least from the units I have seen and played. I'm sure there be some non-perfect units... what game doesn't? Chucking a lot of dice? Well, that just helps find consistency faster in the odds department. You get screwed by dice a lot less often but still have the opportunity for the unexpected.

I know some of you don't want to hear positive statements. I also know some of you would bitch if someone told you the sky was blue. Somehow you got cheated by it or something! LOL! I'm sure it will all be fine at the end of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack merridew wrote:

i am a wet behind the ears brand new player who is currently sticking to V1 but i gotta ask isnt the amount of dice needed a bit of a turn off? i could probably get around the movement and LOS but the dice fest aspect really sours it for me

i'm sure one of the stretch goals will be a BUCKET to use to roll ur dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think i will be incorporating some battlefield rules into our existing games but i wont be dropping more money. Too many other game options for me. Thats just our gaming group though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
getting freaking old.

to be fair , you pretty much love the powers that be no matter what , and even if they shipped you a box with an actual turd in it , you would swear it was the greatest game piece ever made ................which is "getting freaking old" so ................. now you know how the rest rest of us feel about "uber fans"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Good to see that you're upholding the mantle of being one of the most consistently toxic people on BGG, Kris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
getting freaking old.

to be fair , you pretty much love the powers that be no matter what , and even if they shipped you a box with an actual turd in it , you would swear it was the greatest game piece ever made ................which is "getting freaking old" so ................. now you know how the rest rest of us feel about "uber fans"

Turds and Hookers... I think we've pretty much derailed the whole game! LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
The hooker probably depends whether the KS is based out of Hong Kong or New Zealand. Fingers crossed!

you had me wondering what "new zealand hookers" look like . i looked it up , and apparently it IS legal there , so they might even match up to VEGAS standards , so lets hope its based in NZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
To me, it signals even more gloom soblue

If they have to go Kickstarter for Babylon... then i see no way they are going to have the promised Japanese and Vrill factions come out anytime soon.

Bringing a new faction at this stage would require a big $$$ to get it rolling. Tons of new units to produce just for a new faction to be on par with the old ones.

OK DEEBOB , im gonna crank out my current few modeling projects in the next couple weeks , and just for YOU , rush a JAPANESE faction project to the top of the project pile !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.