Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Swindler x Psychic Switcheroo Interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie oHara
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey guys, we had a question last night and were wondering how to deal with it.

I was Swindler and Psychic Switcheroo wanted me to swap powers with my opponent in the encounter. Swindler's text says it can't be stolen or anything, so he couldn't have my power, but do I still get his? We thought no, but I'm not sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you don't get his power. How would that be a swap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Of course you don't get his power. How would that be a swap?

He was playing the Swindler, it would have been thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
And it would be thematic for Merchant to sell you things, or Dictator to tell you what card to play, or Virus to get more ships than anyone else, but that's not what the texts say.

Some people play Cosmic such that everything is up for re-interpretation based on theme, but when responding to rules questions we need to go by what the texts say as much as possible (recognizing that some of the texts have problems). If we answered everything based on thematic feel, we'd be forever drowning in conflicting interpretations, and some players would decide they don't like the game because of this (I have actually seen it happen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
And it would be thematic for Merchant to sell you things, or Dictator to tell you what card to play, or Virus to get more ships than anyone else, but that's not what the texts say.

Some people play Cosmic such that everything is up for re-interpretation based on theme, but when responding to rules questions we need to go by what the texts say as much as possible (recognizing that some of the texts have problems). If we answered everything based on thematic feel, we'd be forever drowning in conflicting interpretations, and some players would decide they don't like the game because of this (I have actually seen it happen).

Oh, you misunderstood me, I was not arguing against your point. I was just pointing out that him playing the Swindler was a funny coincidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
Oh, you misunderstood me, I was not arguing with your point. I was just pointing out that him playing the Swindler was a funny coincidence.

Oh, the swindler convincing someone the rules were different. ...slow clap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.