Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for your advice relating to this games potential suitability for my girlfriend and I to play (not looking to enter tournaments / a league,) after various read throughs of gameplay instructions; watching of various reviews (mainly positive I just can’t make up my mind.

Summoner Wars is one of our most played games; so whilst not looking to replace it we would like the option of a similar but heavier game, whilst helping to distinguish between the two via contrasting themes so that we don’t un-subconsciously compare the two, because for us SW would always win.

Android Netrunner fits the bill well in terms of player v player and different theme; however my concern is ANR is perhaps a bridge to far for us to be able to commit enough time to get the most out of it.

Learning a game for us is not difficult, would consider us both fairly competent to learn a game IF it is designed intuitively (and if not there is plenty of help here on BGG.) However it appears to get the most out of this game one must dedicate some serious amount of time to learn and fully understand 2 sets of rules (runner and corp?) be familiar with both mechanics to then construct decks to manipulate those rule to their own advantage and then test that deck in an actual game?

This game has many positives for us that I really wish it is suitable, however we simply do not have the spare time to get into a hobby game which I am starting to think this maybe; as such I would be grateful for your advice on the following:

How complicated are all the rules to learn?

Once rules are understood are they intuitive / do they make sense?

The ability to build decks, considering we will initially be using 1 core set (and if we like it a handful of expansions (which ever are on sale, won’t be fussed about must have cards due to non-tournament play.)) Is there enough in the core box to allow a variety of decks to be built?

If you would think another game could perhaps be more suitable I would also love to hear your recommendations.

Thank you for your time.
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One core kept me and my friend entertained for months.
The game is not that complicated if you start with the core and slowly add expansions and don't get lost in the jargon that gives the game a element of emersion. Watch tutorial videos. I hope that your girlfriend likes it.

One core you can play 3 runners and 4 corporations, so a lot of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting to know this game takes time and determination. Most rules are simple, only card interactions and timing windows are hard to remember and execute correctly. But it is worth it, as the game is genius.

You'll get plenty of play from Core Set alone, but if you're anything like me and my girlfriend (fiancee now) you'll want datapacks soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvils Feldmanis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Mate!

When i 1st got my Core set From BGG Secret Santa, after few plays I participated in Tournament. Didnt had any other Data packs(Expansions)

Rules are easy to grasp, even tho' the game is asymetric. (hope i wrote it right)

And there are fancy ways to call each players Hand, Deck and discard.

And that is one of many things wich gives this game flavor. And it is on all cards. So you have to know what is "Grip", "Archives" and "R&D" (and other things)to know what that card should do.

Deckbuilding with core will be sufficient, exept, you will be a bit limited about Corp deck building, because of limited Agendas (point cards, fancy, fancy point cards), but in my opinion, it makes you be more flexible about your deck building.

What else. Yeah, Data packs have variety of cards, but Delux expansions focus mainly on 1 Identity Corp and 1 Identity Runner cards. But as i understand that will be of you decide on expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1 core box, enough to entertain the girlfriend of a geek and said geek?

Yes! Definitive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot in the core set, even if I didn't buy any expansions, I would still play the core set as one of my favorite board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules have a fairly steep learning curve; I would fully expect your first 5 games or so to be you encountering new rules and realising mistakes you're making. Sometimes these are hard lessons to learn (me finding out what tags are for by being on the receiving end of a Scorched Earth and dying, my friend finding out archive runs access all cards in there, no just one, and losing on the spot).

That said, once you get the hang on the game, it's very intuitive. The boards here are very friendly to new players, and through the search you should find most of the basic questions have already been answered. And you don't need to learn a separate set of rules for Corp and Runner (it's more like you only get half the picture playing from either side!).

The core game has several preconstructed decks that let you get the hang of each faction, AND enough cards that you can start with some basic deck building. Even playing all the precons against each other, you've got 24 games right there, once each way for each pairing. A lot of the most common and powerful cards still in circulation are from the core set, so if either of you decide to get more into it experience of how they work will be very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is roughly on par with Race for the Galaxy in terms of difficulty learning. There's some jargon and some time investment, but after 2-5 games you should be all set.

There is not too much difference in rules overhead between runner and corp. Not because they are not different, but because in order to play competently you need to know both sets of rules anyway.

The more experienced player (or more able to absorb rules) should play corp, as misplays as the corp are more likely to break the game and how to play corp is less intuitive. The person playing runner can essentially play open hand the first game or two. This gives the corp a slight advantage, but you're not playing to win in a teaching game. The corp meanwhile needs to put things face down, and needs to put the right things in the right places. You could play the corp "open hand" but that would remove a significant aspect of the game, and have far more impact than an open-hand runner. After a few games as runner, playing corp per the rules should be fine.

And remember, run early, run often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why did you write 'the girlfriend of a geek and said geek' instead of 'a geek and his girlfriend'? Modern English confuses me sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My girlfriend and I started with the Core Set, during a time in which I had just begun introducing her to the world of Tabletop gaming. She was still wrapping her brain around Settler's of Catan; I thought a card game would be extremely over her head.

But I underestimated her ability to catch on and 5 months later we've participated in 5 local tournaments and face off against each other at least 4-5 times a week. So if your girl has a more colored gaming background, I don't see why the both of you wouldn't be able to pick it up fairly quickly and enjoy the pants off of it.

That being said, there are a few common obstacles for beginners, first and foremost being the terminology. The whacky language is one of the biggest barriers to get over for new players, but will grow into one of your favorite parts of the game. The theme of the game is incredibly well done and the words used while playing add to that greatly. But, as a new player, it might take a little time.

My girlfriend tends to laugh when we're talking about Netrunner in public (restaurant, bar, whatever). We'll be geeking out saying things like:

"So I ran his R&D second Click only to hit a Tollbooth. But I knew he had installed an agenda so I used my Self Modifying Code to dig for my Yog.0 and Datasuckered my way through. But betweem the SMC'd Yog and Tollbooth, I already spent 10 credits, and of course I when I access, it's a Fetal AI and I don't have enough!"

We'd both pause and chuckle realizing that no one around us has any idea what we're talking about. It's like we're using a foreign language. And that's kind of the beauty of it.

Anyways, I think you and the GF will have a blast with Netrunner. It's deep, thematic, impactful, and tons of fun. I recommend watching FFG's Netrunner tutorial on Youtube and then reading the rules before starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
I think the rules have a fairly steep learning curve; I would fully expect your first 5 games or so to be you encountering new rules and realising mistakes you're making.

Yep. Android: Netrunner is a difficult game to learn from scratch. There's no denying it. All of the rules are there in the rulebook. However, the organization is a bit strange and the very nature and uniqueness of the game make learning significantly harder than other games of it's complexity. And unfortunately, there are a bunch of little things that if you don't get correct, will break the game. During your first five games or so, you must always be doubtful of yourself. Are you playing it right? If you are at all not sure, post something here. There are constantly people who start threads about how broken the game is only to realize that they've been playing the game wrong the whole time. Pay special attention to the timing and workings of the action windows during players' turns and especially during Runs. Here's shameless plug.

Now, with all that said, once you have learned the rules, you'll find that they are very intuitive and mesh well with the theme. This means the rules are very easy to remember. Everything makes sense. However, now you have to learn the skills of a being a good Runner. You have to learn the skills of being a good Corporation. These decks don't run themselves, it takes serious piloting skills to play well. THAT, is where the game shines. This is a learning curve that is a blast to ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha F
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
mplain wrote:
Why did you write 'the girlfriend of a geek and said geek' instead of 'a geek and his girlfriend'? Modern English confuses me sometimes.

It was a stylistic choice. Using the phrase 'a geek and his girlfriend' would have been grammatically cleaner, but where's the pizazz in that?

Also Russian grammar confuses me, be it modern or ancient.

To answer the OP's question: You certainly can get by enjoyably just playing with 1 Core Set. I warn you though, the game may pull you in so deeply that you will find the time to learn the finer details, and you will go get expansion packs at an increasing pace. Each subsequent pack really adds immediate and lasting improvements to gameplay, even if you are not going to tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rashan grammar iz be confuzing, comrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. A.N.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One gram of crack will entertain you for a time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Squash957 wrote:
It was a stylistic choice. Using the phrase 'a geek and his girlfriend' would have been grammatically cleaner, but where's the pizazz in that?

Oh, ok. I was afraid it's some modish feministic trend to always place the female at the beginning, or something. Phew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mplain wrote:
Squash957 wrote:

Oh, ok. I was afraid it's some modish feministic trend to always place the female at the beginning, or something. Phew.

Nope. We have enough trouble convincing people to not automatically list women at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My situation is similar to yours, and I thing you will probably like the core game and love the game more with data packs.

My daughter and I have played the hell out of Summoner Wars and played it last night. We also love Netrunner, and played it this morning before school and work.

We got the game in April 2012 and played incorrectly for six months until I was schooled at a tournament. After gaining more proficiency, the two of us will play our first tournament together tomorrow. Despite our lack of knowledge early on we kept current with all the card releases and play the game more than everything except Summoner Wars.

Summoner Wars is brilliant in that every faction is competitive out of the box, but it is limited in deck building capacity. Netrunner has problems with balance, but the influx of cards addresses that to some degree and provides more variety than even Summoner Wars.

You don't need to get every Netrunner card. I've spent most on Summoner Wars, but Netrunner is #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Turner
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great couples game. Probably the biggest benefit of having more than just a core is that you can have multiple decks built for each side. It can get frustrating playing against the same deck so it's good to be able to switch it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Perron
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core set is all you need for a lot of very intertaining games. I for one, has no desire to add more cards. You could spend money on data packs and deluxe sets to add more variety but you could also spend money on other games to fulfill that same objective.

Another game you should consider for you and your girlfriend is Blue Moon Legends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First try every basic runner deck (3 runners) vs. every corporation deck (4 corporations), all of which play rather differently, for 12 matches.
Then switch around and play another 12 matchups with the roles reversed.
Then you can try switching cards in and out of the basic decks, and deckbuild a bit, for about 20-30 more games.
Then, you might consider getting an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikey!

Just checked updates on my phone whilst Im out so will read all updates later, thanks ever so much for all your advice and suggestions.

It really does demonstrate the community here

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all so much for your advice, decided to order the base set and fingers crossed it will click.

Many thanks every one

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:
Squash957 wrote:

In Texas, its politeness requires men to let women enter the elevator first.

But I grew up in California where such a practice would been considered patronizing.

Life is hard in this new age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.