Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Kingsburg» Forums » Rules

Subject: Army bonuses from buildings: A question about timing (expension relevant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Omer Hertz
Israel
Kfar Vradim
Galil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've been playing Kingsburg for a while, but yesterday I was teaching it to my brother and he asked something which made me realise I am not 100% sure how to answer:

When you build a building which gives you an army bonus - does that bonus apply immediately after you build it?

In other words, lets assume I built the Guard Tower, which gives a +1 in battle. Does that mean my army track will now start at "1" instead of "0" (unless the building is destroyed) or do I only apply the bonus right before phase 8 (the battle) and reset to "0" afterwards?

I always assumed it was the first, and that you only adjust the track when recruiting soldiers, getting help from the king or when certain enemies appear (for example, the Barricade gives a +1 combat bonus against goblins, so I will adjust the track before combat only if I'm fighting goblins), and that, when the next year starts, I reset to "0" + whatever permenant bonuses my buildings provide...

However, my brother noticed that the expension has a building called Training Camp (G III) which gives a +1 for the next combat, but only if you have less than 2 soldiers at the end of phase 6. This would seem almost useless if you have any sort of defenses built (which by that time you almost certainly will) and whilst not expensive, as a tier III building I assume it's supposed to be more useful than that - which it would be if building bonuses (even permenant ones) were only applied before the battle in phase 8.

So... what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You only apply the bonus right before phase 8.

Bonuses from buildings are, indeed, bonuses, not soldiers.

Soldiers are trained during the year (and they go back to 0 at the start of every new year). Building bonuses are applied only right after combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanis wrote:
You only apply the bonus right before phase 8.

Bonuses from buildings are, indeed, bonuses, not soldiers.

Soldiers are trained during the year (and they go back to 0 at the start of every new year). Building bonuses are applied only right after combat.

Agreed, and just to pile on further.. the ONLY things that should be marked in the actual track are soldiers that you get from advisers (5, 10, and 18), buying soldiers in phase 7 each year, or occasionally from specific building bonuses (like the stables which give you an extra soldier whenever you visit space 5, 10, or 18.. or like the Griffon Ranch).

It does reset to zero every year after the battle (though there are buildings which may impact the reset, like the Troop Quarters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omer Hertz
Israel
Kfar Vradim
Galil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great, thank you both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Heilers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay...regarding what is being discussed here, does it really matter? One's current combat strength for Phase 8 is "number of purchased soldiers (that year)" + "number of soldiers sent by the King (that year)" + "current modifiers from buildings." Is there anything wrong with this total amount being reflected on the Soldier's Chart? As long as you reset it to 0 after combat, it will still reflect the proper value *next* year, if you follow the same above formula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Katuska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gheilers wrote:
Okay...regarding what is being discussed here, does it really matter? One's current combat strength for Phase 8 is "number of purchased soldiers (that year)" + "number of soldiers sent by the King (that year)" + "current modifiers from buildings." Is there anything wrong with this total amount being reflected on the Soldier's Chart? As long as you reset it to 0 after combat, it will still reflect the proper value *next* year, if you follow the same above formula.

There's certainly nothing wrong with it, in the end it's just one number vs the other, and if you prefer to stack everything in one location (and aren't worried about miscounting) then go with whatever's comfortable.

I personally prefer to just track my soldiers in one area, helping me remember "okay, I gained two in spring, one in summer, etc." and then add up my bonuses as winter occurs. One thing to keep in mind is that, given how certain buildings provide different bonuses based on the enemy being fought, it might be better to not add these to your military track until you know just how much of a bonus you're getting. It's easy enough to double-check your bonuses from the building sheet, but if including those values in the track (at an earlier stage) means you can't recount how many soldiers you actually received, then you might run into trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.