Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So my games are in the basement of our new place, and I have noticed the humidity goes up quite a bit, especially this past week of warm, humid weather.

The room is about 288 square feet, and roughly 1,872 cubic feet in volume.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Frigidaire seems popular, though I am hesitant as other things of that brand I have owned have not been good.

Amazon reviews are OK, but it is hard to know what is a shill and what isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
You are fighting what is commonly called "a losing battle."

Well I don't think attempting to lower the humidity of a room is a losing battle (especially since the basement is finished). A "war of attrition" may be more appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Identify the enemy before engaging in battle.

The enemy is mildew, not humidity.

Doesn't humidity help facilitate the growth of mildew? And wouldn't cardboard and wood in a very water-saturated environment start to absorb that moisture, causing damage? Thus my concern with humidity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to keep your games in the basement, and you have the cash, you might consider investing in a whole house dehumidifier. They are installed to dump the water straight into your sump pump system, so you never have to empty anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven Wright (I think it was): "I put a humidifier and a dehumidifier in the same room, and let them duke it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember I will get you the name and brand of mine when I get home from work.

It does a real solid job and has for years. Mind you it wasn't cheap but this is not something to be cheap about.

It almost never turns on during the winter. During the spring it starts to kick on here and there. It runs a lot in the summer.

Once you have mold/mildew in the basement it is a pain to get rid of. If you have it now, you want to really clean really well and get the dehumidifier running before you put stuff down there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCarson
United States
Sanford
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Go Army!
badge
Beat Navy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an LG one with a hose run to a basement drain. It is 8 years old, and still runs great. Humidity in my basement has been steady year-round at 40-50%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
The bottom half of my house has a smell of something once spring kicks in. I will have to run my dehumidifier for about 4 months solid now. It's a Frigidaire but don't remember the model. I've had it for 3 years and have had no probs with it.

Anyway does that mean I have mold or something in the walls? There's nothing visible anywhere, just this lingering undefinable odor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
If I remember I will get you the name and brand of mine when I get home from work.

It does a real solid job and has for years. Mind you it wasn't cheap but this is not something to be cheap about.

They are pretty much just an airconditioner compressor and a bucket, should last for years.

I could check on mine too. I have no idea what it cost (I'm guessing it was whatever mid-priced model Sears had at the time given the other appliances she owned). My Mom left it in the basement when she sold the house to me 10 years ago. But it's been working like a champ all those years, and she had it for quite a while beforehand.

Its just a stand alone model, I dump the water receptacle in the washing machine when I throw in a load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
The bottom half of my house has a smell of something once spring kicks in.

Anyway does that mean I have mold or something in the walls? There's nothing visible anywhere, just this lingering undefinable odor.

IMO I would have that tested professionally just to find out. The small expense could save a lot down the road. If you have lots of stuff in your basement or walls put up ie. a finished basement it could be anywhere.

Mildew/Mold becomes more active when the humidity rises. I would suspect if you did not run the dehumidifier to kick it down a notch things would get quicky out of hand.

I'm allergic to mold and very aware of it's presence I can smell the smallest amount. I'm cautious about keeping it out of my home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
....Its just a stand alone model, I dump the water receptacle in the washing machine when I throw in a load.

exactly what we do, or toss in garden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

It almost never turns on during the winter. During the spring it starts to kick on here and there. It runs a lot in the summer.

Here it is...http://www.amazon.com/Sunpentown-SD-65E-65-Pint-Dehumidifier...

It had good reviews when we bought it and has stood up. If you do research about them, because your going to have it in your basement, and your in NY pay attention to the ones people complain about them freezing and icing over..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get one with a good warranty. You're likely to need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I live in Okinawa where humidity and mold are constant problems all year. We have 2x Midea MDK1-70AEK1 dehumidifiers and are very happy with them. During the winter they keep the house at 35-55% humidity and need to be emptied about once a day. During the summer they stay at 50-65% and get emptied 2-3 times a day. No problems with mold in the house and the vents don't drip anymore.

Watch out for Gree dehumidifiers, or brands that use Gree components. They just had a huge recall for bad components that led to house fires. Google it and you can find some info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.