Subject: When do you decide to get rid of your games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read plenty of explanations of how to choose what games to get rid of, but when do you actually get rid of your games be it donating, trading or selling? Is it a monthly or at least regular occurrence? When your SO complains about the space being taken up? When you need some cash to pay rent?

Additionally how do you usually get rid of your games? Or do you still own all your purchases, if so why own games that don't get played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best time for me is when I don't have to pay shipping, especially for games that are too big to ship economically.

For example, no ship math trades or a bring and buy sale at a convention, and if you go to a convention once per year, than have a clear out once per year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone wants to have get rid of hobby stuff (games included) to raise money for household expenses ... that's pretty scary, actually and not a good place to be in, but it does happen. Life gets messy.

I have given a few games to my FLGS, they weren't worth much on the BGG marketplace (Age of Gods was one, Tanga with free shipping is a cruel mistress!) and I didn't see the point of auctioning them or selling them on the marketplace. Others might be more ambitious, though, and try to sell games for $10 or so.

I will sell when I feel a game will never get played, for whatever reason. Haven't gotten there yet. When I do, I will probably do an auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
I play my games and if I don't like them I chuck up up for trade on this mighty fine website, I also participate in bi-monthly math trades to rid myself of the game in my collection that I am not going to play again.

I have considered an auction but at the moment it is too time consuming and fiddly to organise this although I may do a pre-Christmas clear out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Never. I got rid of most of my games from the 1960s - 1980s many years ago, mostly via yard sales and flea markets. I wish I had them all back. I have never parted with a game from my "modern" collection and I hope I never do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I amassed a coolection over the copper standard here @ The Geek and a lot of them don't get played. I moved to a smaller place and had to sell some. I use eBay to sell games.

I sold them based on if I had the topic covered in other games and if I really thought hard, was there a similar game I would rather play than the one I wanted to sell. The last criteria is if I had even ever played them. If they were unpunched for over a year...it was time to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
When I got into the "euro" phase of my gaming which was around 1998, if you wanted to play a cool new euro, you had to do overseas orders in bulk. So a lot of the games we played had little to no reviews or information....shoot, half of them didn't even have translated rules.

In those days, I bought a ton of new games. The problem was, a lot of them weren't very good. So over the last few years I have been culling the herd and selling off all the mediocre or bad titles in my collection.

I am more of a discerning buyer nowadays, and I usually try before I buy. The games I buy now, I know I really like and have a permanent place on my shelves. I will probably NEVER sell those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I maintain a list of games for sale (linked on my profile). Sometimes local people contact me and swing by my house to pick something up. By the main thing I do is about every six months I send it via email to gamers at work (works better at larger companies, with distribution lists already setup for gamers). I refuse to ship games. Way too much hassle for the amount of free time I have.

As for how to pick what to sell, I put almost everything on the list. Exceptions are typically games I haven't played yet and really want to, or the latest hotness, or proven evergreens. But if most people are like me, we have a lot of games that are good, even great, but don't get played much. I sell these. Or at least offer them, for sale. Unless a game has some crazy sentimental value, there should be some price you're willing to sell the game for. That's the price I use. Every once in a while a game will sell where I'm a little sad to see it go, even for the price paid. Examples: Aladdin's Dragons, Cartagena (original), Die Macher (Moskito edition), "Edel, Stein, & Reich", Endeavor, El Grande, Hansa Teutonica, Le Havre, Himalaya, In The Year of the Dragon, Kreta, Lancaster, Lexio (black), Princes of Florence (Alea), Samurai, Santiago, Shark, and Ta Yü (original).

As I look at that list, it makes me a little sad, but for me at least (and my wife), it's really better to keep the collection under control, which of course will mean something different for everyone. A year or two ago I reached a milestone where my "previously owned" count surpassed my "owned" count. And I maintain a goal to keep it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Math trades! I've gotten rid of a few I don't play, and had them replaced with ones I do. It feels better going game>game rather than game>money, which may end up buying another game, but may go elsewhere too. Plus a fellow geek gets a game they were looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beyond financial needs no reason ever to remove a game ... let that be someone elses problem ..after your gone. certainly many games are crap and could be traded off.. but let others borrow those to see for themselves how bad they are and save some friends some money...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEVER !!! I still have a few on my trade list but after tons of offers on my old list I took about twenty games down because I just couldn't part with them. The ones there now maybe I could see me letting go of someday because a few are real stinkers ( Escape ) but I've yet to get rid of anything since I started collecting a year ago. And I can't see me getting rid of any because I still miss my game collection from my childhood (Fireball Island and tons of others) and if I held on to everything from obsession with Heroscape I'd have a small fortune worth of things. So from past experience I will just hang on to what I got for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
toddbarker wrote:
When do you actually get rid of your games be it donating, trading or selling? Is it a monthly or at least regular occurrence? When your SO complains about the space being taken up? When you need some cash to pay rent?

The key, for me, is two-fold:

1) If I run out of space, it's time to let games go. I've had, effectively, the same amount of space to hold games for nearly twenty years now; when that space doesn't hold the games I own, I let some go.

2) If I no longer feel the need to control when I play a game, I let it go. If I'm good about this, #1 typically doesn't become necessary.

Quote:
Additionally how do you usually get rid of your games?

A combination of sales, gifts, and the occasional repurposing for parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Drink
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pick up a lot of games at thrift shops, and it's always easier to part with these than the ones I researched before buying.

Whenever I feel the need to thin my collection of these impulse buys, I leave them in a 'free box' in front of my house. While I might be sick of looking at these old party games, there's always a passing neighbor who's quick to snatch them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Story along those lines -- I was collecting MtG cards very heavily in the mid-1990s, buying bulk collections, etc. I lost interest and put them all away in my attic. Lo and behold, when my son got old enough, he was very interested in Magic. Turns out I had a lot of valuable cards, enough so he could jump start his modern decks and play. Glad I held on to them!

I write this and think oh no, we are going down the ugly rathole of collecting/hoarding, and I don't want to do that!!

My FGLS has a bunch of games people have given them, and frankly, I am surprised at some of them, they are valuable games and could have been sold or traded. So I think there is a contingent of folks that give away games and don't bother to sell/trade them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These days, typically it's when a math trade motivates me (which happens a few times each year).

Once in 2005 I got rid of 99% of my games due to moving to another continent and purging 99% of all my stuff. But that was kind of exceptional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I am dead and buried!

(Or trade when I really don't like a game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play them and they are awful, and show no sign for improvement after repeated plays.

Thus far, I just give them away. If when I find out I hate it, I'm playing with someone who seems to like it, they might just get to go home with it. If I can get some more playtime in soon, I hope to build up a backlog of games that I own and hate so I can have an auction here.

I will have to resist the temptation of mentioning how awful the game is in the auction entry, though:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
I'm kinda like a reverse-hoarder, so I rarely need much of a reason to purge a game.
Oh, this game is getting a reprint? Sell it off!
Oh, this game is rare now? Sell it off!
Oh, this game has a large box? Sell it off!
Oh, this game has a small box? Sell it off!

Seriously, I would sell the nails that hold my house together if I could make a buck off of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, people get rid of games? What is this insanity you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
russ wrote:

Once in 2005 I got rid of 99% of my games due to moving to another continent and purging 99% of all my stuff. But that was kind of exceptional.

And my game shelf thanks you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
russ wrote:

And my game shelf thanks you!

Out of curiosity, do you know what your most-played ex-Russ game is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of space to store additional games is what drives me to sell a bunch every year or so. I browse through my collection and ask myself if I would be ok not having access to that particular game anymore, and if the answer is yes, it goes on the list to sell.

I've also done math trades frequently in the past, but I've found that selling and buying what I truly want usually works out much better for me than putting hours into a math trade and usually get something that's ok, but not what I really want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddbarker wrote:
...but when do you actually get rid of your games...?

WHEN THEY PRY THEM FROM MY COLD, DEAD FINGERS!

(Alternatively, whenever I can cart a load off to conventions or on an ad-hoc basis with games club members, in the main)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to play mostly two-player and generally buy games that I think I'll enjoy with no guarantee that they'll stay around. The problem is that games that seem amazing at a games club don't necessarily work with just the two of us. We have limited shelf space and, thus, new games have to replace old ones.

I have a three-stage triage process:

1. Play game once. If it doesn't suit us, it goes immediately. For example, Limes. It was touted as a brilliant couples' game, I read the rules, it sounded like a nice tile-laying game with joint tile-selection. I bought it, it was multi-player solitaire. I immediately sold it to someone at a local game club.

If game seems interesting on first play:

2. Play game five times. Many modern euros disappear at that point - they can't withstand five plays without becoming boring. Examples include Trajan (traded), Notre Dame (sold) and Village (sold).

3. After six months, decide if the game deserves a permanent place in the collection. Play a couple more times. If it doesn't, it goes. Sometimes games are 'fired' by other games. For example, Arkham Horror was 'fired' because the base game had got boring, the expansions got clunky, and we preferred Eldritch Horror.

4. Review permanent collection from time-to-time. Fire anything that's never getting played because I never have a desire to play it. In general, classic games (e.g. El Grande) never leave, regardless of how much they're being played.

I do maths trades, but generally I use maths trades to get rid of games that I haven't been able to sell.

Very occasionally, I give away a game. I donated Yeti Slalom (a maths trade sweetener) to my local game club.

I used to have other methods of managing the game collection. For example, I fired games that hadn't seen many plays. This led to epic games I planned to play getting fired (e.g. Twilight Struggle) in preference to rubbish fillers. I also had a period of firing games that were complex to get into. Again, this fired all my brilliant epic games (e.g. Mage Wars).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly when I need the space for new games, as I try to have most of the collection in one room, but also when I simply decide I don't like or don't need the game. I usually sell them and participate in math trades. Direct trades are rarer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.