Popular Tags: [View All]
Taed Wynnell
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first reaction is that one should be able to use items and followers at any time, not just during combat. I could not find a rule that said anything one way or another. Did I miss the rule?

Clearly some items and followers need to be done out of combat, such as those that affect the choosing of a board.

However, can one use the Soldier Follower to kill a minion outside of combat, such as after drawing cards but before waking up horrors?

And the Big Game Hunter Investigator specifically says that it is to be done before the sanity check, but that is an Investigator power. I also don't recall it specifying timing on that, either.

Thanks for clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Not quite, while you can use the ability at any time unless otherwise specified... the final result isn't what you're looking for.

Horrors wake IMMEDIATELY when there are enough cultists.
- Once you draw the cultist it's already on the board.
- Because there are enough living cultists on the board... the horror wakes.

Even if you shoot that Cultist he had been on the board for a split second. This means that the horror has already been awakened before you killed it.

- - -

That said, you can use the ability between drawing cards.

For Example: If you've drawn 3 of your 4 cards for the turn you can use the soldier to kill off a cultist on the board to guarantee the fourth card won't summon a horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taed Wynnell
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that you're the game's author, but I went through the rules more carefully today, and what you say contradicts the printed rules.

McTeddy wrote:
Horrors wake IMMEDIATELY when there are enough cultists.
- Once you draw the cultist it's already on the board.
- Because there are enough living cultists on the board... the horror wakes.

In the rule book, the steps of Summoning are separated into Draw Cult cards, Purchase Items and Followers, Awaken Horrors, and Sanity Loss. It seems clear that each of those is done separately and there's no "looping" since the first step is "Draw 4 Cult cards."

So, I don't think horrors potentially awaken immediately after each card is drawn, but only after drawing and placing all 4 cards, and then purchasing items and followers.

McTeddy wrote:
That said, you can use the ability between drawing cards.
For Example: If you've drawn 3 of your 4 cards for the turn you can use the soldier to kill off a cultist on the board to guarantee the fourth card won't summon a horror.

In the second column on page 6, it says: "Uness the card reads otherwise, you can only use a card's ability during your Combat step."

Since the soldier does not specify any "otherwise" text, it can then only be used during the Combat step.

Furthermore, in the description of the Soldier in the rule book, it says, "Once each turn during your Combat step..."

So, who's right -- you writing here or you writing the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Okay, it's official. Today, I will open a copy and look at the final rules. It appears things have changed a bit and it sounds like you are correct.

Definitely use the written rules. Those continually changed with the updates from kickstarter and final card wordings so they are your best bet. Any differences from my own knowledge were likely from late playtesting to improve the game.

I'll open up a box today and get back back to you later tonight or tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taed wrote:

In the second column on page 6, it says: "Uness the card reads otherwise, you can only use a card's ability during your Combat step."

This is true, but i take it with a grain of salt. There is at least one card (can't remember name) that allows you to pay 1 to draw one less card.
The card itself does not specify a timing, but it doesn't make any sense to use it in combat. And sure enough, in the card description at the back of the manual, it does say to use it during the "draw step" (maybe not the correct terminology, don't have rules here with me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah yes, that's always an interesting twist when the rules get tweaked from what the designer originally had - I also love when it changes in translations.

I had been wondering too whether you should draw and place each card as it is drawn... seemed kind of natural at first but then the rules clarified it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.