Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi !

I really don't understand why would someone play Grindylow. It is a rather annoying creature. Besides, there is nothing special to claim when your hero eventually beats it!
So what is the point to add it to your box (except increasing difficulty)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freourslc wrote:
Hi !

I really don't understand why would someone play Grindylow. It is a rather annoying creature. Besides, there is nothing special to claim when your hero eventually beats it!
So what is the point to add it to your box (except increasing difficulty)?

Mostly, just the fun of having a promo card I think. (And to be able to laugh at your Merisiel player maybe). They pretty much did a promo of every boon and bane (except henchman/villain). So they did a promo monster. The promos aren't intended to be the best of their type. Just something to have.

He does also increase the usefulness of Birdcruncher Crown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bane so I put it in just as a tough monster. Wait until you see that stupid Horsechopper +1 promo from AP5. Boons that suck are way worse than a bane that is moderately good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik wintz
United States
fountain valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head the horsechopper is good for both the cleric and the rouge if they don't have proficiency with weapons yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so much Merisiel, she'd rather have a Dexterity based combat check. It also works for Ezren. But part of the issue people raised is there are better weapons for characters without weapon proficiency. Short Spear +3 for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you start over with a new party, the Horsechopper is available as soon as you start AP1 with the other promo cards, whereas the Short Spear +3 isn't available until AP5. But yeah, if it were an AP5 piece of loot, it would really be horrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:
But if you start over with a new party, the Horsechopper is available as soon as you start AP1 with the other promo cards, whereas the Short Spear +3 isn't available until AP5. But yeah, if it were an AP5 piece of loot, it would really be horrible.

That is true. And the same thing applies for Birdcruncher Crown. It is a great item early, but a lot of the goblins are Basie or Elite, so once they start getting remove its usefulness diminishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duskblade wrote:
Off the top of my head the horsechopper is good for both the cleric and the rouge if they don't have proficiency with weapons yet.

I agree with that. The horsechopper, although situational (because not every character would benefit from it) can be a valuable weapon for some party members. Ezren and Kyra (at the beginning) could be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first he add more variety the game. Also, he's one of the few aquatic creatures you can get before the third expansion.
And he's there to add a challenge to the game. He's that special boss that you see from time to time in RPG that just look weird. That's the point of most of those Promo Cards. They are not supposed to help you, just to add variety and a "Oh nice, that single rare card is there!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.