Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/05/16/preview-elander-b...

Another Mad Scientist! If it wasn't for their Sweetrock-like 1% ways, I might choose Morgan Cattle Company over Fourth Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a fairly risky ability, if you pull a Club you're losing both your Dude and the weapon he's carrying (and I guess any other attachments as well).

So, presumably you're either going to design a deck that's lower on clubs or else reserve this for situations where your dude can't refuse and you're likely to lose him anyway. Oh, and obviously it's only really that useful on Studs

Is this the whoop-whoop dude that was talked about in the podcast? If not, then I think Morgan may still have another Mad Scientist coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like there are going to be Flamethrowers in the core, which make a dude a stud in the CCG.

I have to admit I dislike this card slightly. It's Erik Zarkov's power (who was a personal favorite) -- and the idea of Erik was that, even out of the gates, he looked like a crazy old codger who sometimes kicked his gadgets into high gear, and sometimes blew himself to Kingdom Come. This guy looks too normal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
dboeren wrote:
If not, then I think Morgan may still have another Mad Scientist coming.

This guy is on par with the best Mad Scientist ever printed. Only Barthalomew Prospectus was really better. He's on par with Pierre Fontaine and Desmond Quentin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
This guy is on par with the best Mad Scientist ever printed. Only Barthalomew Prospectus was really better. He's on par with Pierre Fontaine and Desmond Quentin.

Totally agree. In fact, he's better than Fontaine and Quentin because of his value. While his ability might be hit or BIG MISS, you aren't going to get another MS with his value and influence for his price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His ability is better than Zarkov because he can affect anyone and not just himself, but I agree his artwork isn't as good. Zarkov had that "Dr. Emmett Brown" sort of vibe which is missing here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one, like his artwork. It's the first African-American that we've seen in this set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SNK PLAYMORE
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does the pull have to be equal or better than a 2? Or is it a pull of any number that is not a club?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
joekoop1 wrote:
Does the pull have to be equal or better than a 2? Or is it a pull of any number that is not a club?

As written, you just have to pull a non-club to get the +3 bullets.

I think it's interesting to consider a scenario where this dude powers a deck of low-cost, gadget-equipped dudes that are frequently getting blown up, but are very powerful when they don't. Sounds like a hoot of a deck to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
His ability is better than Zarkov because he can affect anyone and not just himself...

Missed that. Great point. Even still: Zarkov for life.

Also, I do like him -- despite the 6 cost, Mad Scientist 2 with 1 influence seems like a lot in this set. But as an old Colliegium player, the fact that he has no upkeep is HUGE.

Related, and maybe for an entirely different forum -- it might be crass for some players for me to suggest this, but I would be totally into the story folks bringing people back who died during the Kingdom Come event. Many Collegium types would be welcome additions to the town at large (says one former Collegium player ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or another reason to play multiples 'Jes a powder burn, boys. Let's try that again'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SNK PLAYMORE
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
As written, you just have to pull a non-club to get the +3 bullets.

I see. It says in the rules "Usually, you compare the value to a number indicated in the pull instructions." Since no number was mentioned in the pull instructions, it's anything (but a club that can be dangerous).

As for his skill rating (2), he is ideal for making gadgets 90%.

...Has any Gadget cards been released yet? I web-searched the old Doomtown cards and found Gadget cards with Difficulty on them. Will the new Gadget cards have Difficulty on them as well? If so, what does Difficulty mean on them? Doe that mean I can make a pull and attach it to anyone without a Mad Scientist? (like the Scientist is almost a discount version).

I understand Spells in Reloaded have Difficulty, only used on specific characters though. I'm confused about Gadgets with Difficulty, if there are such a thing in Reloaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
joekoop1 wrote:

...Has any Gadget cards been released yet? I web-searched the old Doomtown cards and found Gadget cards with Difficulty on them. Will the new Gadget cards have Difficulty on them as well? If so, what does Difficulty mean on them? Doe that mean I can make a pull and attach it to anyone without a Mad Scientist? (like the Scientist is almost a discount version).

I understand Spells in Reloaded have Difficulty, only used on specific characters though. I'm confused about Gadgets with Difficulty, if there are such a thing in Reloaded.

More than likely, yes, since there's this section in the rulebook:

Gadgets: For Gadgets, the Mad Scientist uses the skill to invent the goods card . You can have your Mad Scientist try to invent a Gadget you hold in your play hand as a Noon play; it’s just like shoppin’, but it’s not a sure deal.

Boot the Mad Scientist while they’re in a location you control (this is a cost of inventing), pay the Gadget’s ghost rock cost, then perform a skill test using the dude’s Mad Scientist skill rating . If the skill check equals or exceeds the Gadget difficulty, the Gadget works: attach it to the Mad Scientist . If the skill test fails, the Gadget doesn’t work and the Mad Scientist scraps it . Place the Gadget into your discard pile . You don’t get a refund on what you paid for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Moody
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
If this version introduces Experienced Dudes, then Boldman has the potential to get Zarkov-y.

I wonder, after reading the action text, if it's not clear enough whether Boldman has to be at the same location as the shootout or in the same posse as the Dude whose Weapon Gadget is being boosted. I'm inclined to think the reference to "this shootout" would mean he has to be in the same posse, but that could make this pull even more dicey, since you could lose your big shooter and be left with this 0-draw dude.

In any case, good to see some Mad Scientist love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gowlkick wrote:
I wonder, after reading the action text, if it's not clear enough whether Boldman has to be at the same location as the shootout or in the same posse as the Dude whose Weapon Gadget is being boosted. I'm inclined to think the reference to "this shootout" would mean he has to be in the same posse, but that could make this pull even more dicey, since you could lose your big shooter and be left with this 0-draw dude.

I'm pretty sure it's in the rulebook that you can only take shootout actions if you're in the shootout or if it's an action to join the shootout. So he would have to be in the posse to use this action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joekoop1 wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bL09NtFVPl8Q3lw0u-YT...

Mechanical Horse and Autorevolver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Moody
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
tuathail wrote:
gowlkick wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's in the rulebook that you can only take shootout actions if you're in the shootout or if it's an action to join the shootout. So he would have to be in the posse to use this action.

"Shootout abilities you use must come from either an action card in your play hand (which is played and discarded), or printed on one of your cards in the posse. You can also use a Shootout ability on a card that’s not in a posse, but only if that ability would bring a dude into a posse. Shootout abilities can also only affect dudes in a posse, unless that ability would bring a dude into the posse."

Derp. There it is, right there in the rules. Imagine that. Good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SNK PLAYMORE
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PMAvers wrote:

So I don't need to have a Mad Scientist in play to "create" Gadgets? Because all Gadgets have Difficulty on them? All I have to do, without the Mad Scientist, is show the Gadget, pay the price, make the pull of it's Difficulty and if successful attach it to the dude?

So really the bonus of the Mad Scientist is his skill rating to make Gadgets using lower pulls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joekoop1 wrote:
PMAvers wrote:

So I don't need to have a Mad Scientist in play to "create" Gadgets that have Difficulty on them? Because all Gadgets already have Difficulty on them? All I have to do, without the Mad Scientist, is show the Gadget, pay the price, make the pull of it's Difficulty and if successful attach it to the dude?

So really the bonus of the Mad Scientist is his skill rating to make Gadgets using a lower pull?

No, a Mad Scientist is required to make the attempt at creating a Gadget. A Gadget cannot be purchased if you do not have a Mad Scientist in play to attempt to create it.

From page 20 of the DT:R rulebook:

Quote:
Gadgets can only be brought into play by a Mad
Scientist, who must invent the Gadget. See
Skill Ratin’s, page 29 for details. Once the Mad
Scientist invents the Gadget, you can use the
Tradin’ play to have them give it to someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SNK PLAYMORE
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:

No, a Mad Scientist is required to make the attempt at creating a Gadget. A Gadget cannot be purchased if you do not have a Mad Scientist in play to attempt to create it.

So what is the difference of the Skill Rating on a Mad Scientist (2 on Elander Boldman) and the Difficulty on a Gadget (7 on Auto-Revolver)?

Do you use the pull from the Skill Rating, which has to be 2 or higher? What is the purpose of the Difficulty then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joekoop1 wrote:
chopperdan wrote:

So what is the difference of the Skill Rating on a Mad Scientist (2 on Elander Boldman) and the Difficulty on a Gadget (7 on Auto-Revolver)?

Do you use the pull from the Skill Rating, which has to be 2 or higher? What is the purpose of the Difficulty then?

You make a pull from your deck and check the value of the card. You then add the MS skill rating to that card value. If that total is equal to or greater than the difficulty rating of the Gadget, it is successfuly created and is placed on the MS. If the total is lower, the Gadget creation is unsuccessful, and the card is discarded. There is no refund of Ghost Rock cost, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SNK PLAYMORE
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:

You make a pull from your deck and check the value of the card. You then add the MS skill rating to that card value. If that total is equal to or greater than the difficulty rating of the Gadget, it is successfuly created and is placed on the MS. If the total is lower, the Gadget creation is unsuccessful, and the card is discarded. There is no refund of Ghost Rock cost, either.

Ok, so you make the pull from the Difficulty and then add the modifier of the Skill Rating? So If I created The Auto-Revolver, which the Difficulty is 7, with Elander Boldman, who has a Skill Rating of 2, then 2 is added to whatever I pulled?

And Gadgets are only played when a Mad Scientist is in play? Because he is making a play to create it (shoppin)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joekoop1 wrote:
chopperdan wrote:

Ok, so you make the pull from the Difficulty and then add the modifier of the Skill Rating? So If I created The Auto-Revolver, which the Difficulty is 7, with Elander Boldman, who has a Skill Rating of 2, then 2 is added to whatever I pulled?

And Gadgets are only played when a Mad Scientist is in play? Because he is making a play to create it (shoppin)?

Yep you got it! In order to create the Auto-Revolver with Boldman, you'd have to pull a card of value 5 or higher to succeed.

And to clarify on the Gadget Shoppin' action, the Mad Scientist is the Dude that must perform that action and create the Gadget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SNK PLAYMORE
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
joekoop1 wrote:
chopperdan wrote:

Yep you got it! In order to create the Auto-Revolver with Boldman, you'd have to pull a card of value 5 or higher to succeed.

And to clarify on the Gadget Shoppin' action, the Mad Scientist is the Dude that must perform that action and create the Gadget.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Satkowiak
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkpope wrote:
Another Mad Scientist! If it wasn't for their Sweetrock-like 1% ways, I might choose Morgan Cattle Company over Fourth Ring.

I think you'll find that MCC has several sides to them ... the "1%" being one facet of a complex organization.

Give them cowboys a chance ... they might surprise you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.