Subject: Go stones - seeking ideas for super cheap stones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I have some nice glass go stones - somewhere in a garage full of moving boxes.

Until I find them, please recommend super cheap ideas for go stones (the closer to free the better).

Plastic, etc whatever. Even plastic bottle caps would be OK, if I could think of a way to find enough of them, in two different colors, and uniform size...

I want to teach my kids go so we just need something to use as stones for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find glass beads at a craft store. The type of things that are used for vase fillers. They are the perfect size for my medium sized board. I bought a set of red ones to use for 3 player Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tactile feel of the stones is important for new players, or old players. If $15 is close enough to free, look for "starch anti bacterial go stones" or "melamine go stones" These are two of the cheapest materials used for stones that still resemble "real" stones.

YMI sells them, and I would guess that other importers do as well, and this is likely what a set will run.

You could get away with some poster board and a paper punch if you're desperate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could get away with a couple of handfuls of gravel of different colours from a garden supply store....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
steveburt wrote:
You could get away with a couple of handfuls of gravel of different colours from a garden supply store....

Or this!

I once found a small wooden folding Go-ban at Value Village.
No stones, so I went over to the textiles section and found a BIG bag of black buttons that were all the same - something like 500 for $1.99.
I spray-painted 180 of them white and those were my white stones.
Nice lightweight set and the buttons handle well.

Anyway, go to Michael's or some other craft store and buy two bags of those "gem" glass beads, about 1/2" across, for about $4 each.
Sort through them before playing, because sometimes there are cracked or broken ones with sharp edges.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with:
-Black and White plastic buttons
-Dry light colored and dark colored beans.
-light colored and dark colored coins.

But the two cheapest alternatives I've seen are already posted above: glass decorative beads for vase filling and gravel.

There's a pic somewhere in the "creative" gallery for go here that has a set of stones someone picked from a lake's bank by hand during a weekend.

As long as they're stable on the board, and feature two distinct colors, themselves distinct enough from the board, anything can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relevant Sensei's Library links:
- Several tips and stories about making your own boards and stones: http://senseis.xmp.net/?MakingYourOwnEquipment
- Various alternative materials for Go boards and stones: http://senseis.xmp.net/?UnusualMaterials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
[snip]There's a pic somewhere in the "creative" gallery for go here that has a set of stones someone picked from a lake's bank by hand during a weekend.

As long as they're stable on the board, and feature two distinct colors, themselves distinct enough from the board, anything can do.
Linky:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
I have some nice glass go stones - somewhere in a garage full of moving boxes.

Until I find them, please recommend super cheap ideas for go stones (the closer to free the better).

Plastic, etc whatever. Even plastic bottle caps would be OK, if I could think of a way to find enough of them, in two different colors, and uniform size...

I want to teach my kids go so we just need something to use as stones for now

How about pennies and dimes. Up front expense: $19.81. But 100% return on investment when you're done so net cost = $0 (assuming you don't lose any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the kids keep their prisoners!

Assuming dimes = White, a cheap way to instruct them and they have some motivation (to get to play White one day!)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we go to the beach every summer in Sanibel, Florida my wife insists on sea shell collecting a set of stones for me. She gets pieces of a Pen Shell for black and the small white ones are Angels Toenails. Totally imperfectly matched, but beautiful nonetheless.

Go with real shells on an old board, the beach, and usually a rum drink or three are a nice combination.

Have fun!

Sorry - edited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kphenninger wrote:
She gets alabastery types for black

I can't fathom what you mean here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy a set for 10$ from the American Go Foundation (http://agfgo.org/pages/store-playing.php), and you'll be helping a good cause...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
rmercado wrote:
You can buy a set for 10$ from the American Go Foundation (http://agfgo.org/pages/store-playing.php), and you'll be helping a good cause...

I understood otherwise from their statement on that page:

"The equipment below is available to AGF-approved programs in limited quantites for use as club sets or tournament prizes only. They are not for resale or distribution to players for personal use."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to believe. -- FOX MULDER
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving the beans idea.

I have found go sets at thrift stores for $1. Also glass gems for cheap. You can buy bags of small wooden disks at your local craft-a-teria for cheap and then color half with a sharpie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.