Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was inspired to come up with a deck of variable player powers, which would be dealt one per player at the start of each game. I banged out the below quickly, with zero play testing, and am curious to get any opinions on balance or additional power ideas! Feel free to rework any of the text, too, I haven't spent any time making them read clearly. I don't even know what to call the "discard" deck - the stack of 9 cards that are removed at the start of the game.

It's probably going to seem odd to most to add this kind of thing to a simple game like this one, but I do have a reason. The Walking Dead Card Game, while actually a remake of 6 nimmt!, can be used to play No Thanks!. I've been teaching it as "Each player is defending a camp from being overrun by zombies. The player whose camp is overrun by the least amount of zombies (lowest score) is the winner. You start the game with 11 extra people defending your camp (these are the tokens / I give them a hand of 11 meeples). You can send out a person to avoiding the zombie attack, but they'll join the camp the zombies go to since they're mad you sent them to certain doom." As a theme, it's obviously pretty thin, but it works better than trying to theme Category 5 with zombies. I thought it would be additionally fun to have a list of characters from the show / comic, each with their own abilities, that each player would get to play as. If you're a Walking Dead fan, feel free to also suggest which character fits any given ability. (I wouldn't expect it to be anything but arbitrary, so no worries if that's the case!)

Begin the game with an additional 4 tokens.

Every other player must play with revealed tokens.

At the start of the game, look at 4 random cards from the discarded deck.

Before scoring, remove one card from any other player's play area.

Before scoring, look at 4 random cards from the discarded deck. You MUST add one to your play area to be scored.

Before scoring, look at 2 random cards from the discarded deck. You may optionally add one to your play area to be scored.

Once per card, you may force a player to pay a token to pass.

At the start of the game, look at the bottom card of the deck.

During scoring, use this card as a "wild" card between 3 and 9.

At set-up, only discard 8 cards. Once per game, immediately after a card has been flipped, you may discard it.

Any time you are out of tokens, and do not wish to take a card, you may take one token from another player if you successfully best them at rock-paper-scissors.

During scoring, score the 10, 20, and 30 card as though they are 0. (However this will mean that scoring the cards 19, 20, and 21, for example, results in 40 points.)

After taking a card, you may keep it face down. Every other player must play with revealed hands as normal.

After set-up, look at the top card of the deck and place it face down in front of you. During scoring you may optionally score it as usual.

After taking a card and revealing the next card, you may optionally skip your turn.

Once per game you may force a player to take a card. It must have at least two tokens.

As soon as the fifth card is flipped, you may exchange one card in your play area with another card from any other player's play area.

As soon as the sixth card is flipped, you may exchange your hand of tokens with that of any other player.

During scoring, score your tokens as though having the same amount as the player with the most tokens.

Before scoring, you may optionally discard your lowest valued card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool idea here! Love how it actually makes sense (though I dont watch Walking Dead haha)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.