Subject: [WIP] Space Exploration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Lopez
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Challenge #2 from the book ‘Challenges for Game Designers’ which I am working through requires to make a game about Territorial Acquisition. Unluckily I had no idea about the theme or rough scenario. Especially since I wanted to stay away from the typical Wargame setting like World War I, World War II or other huge-scale war kinda settings.

So instead I asked a good friend I know via Internet who brought me during a conversation upon ‘Space Exploration’ and in detail our own Solar System which could be used for digging the other planets out and bring the most Resources back home to Earth.

So I base my idea on that setting as a Card-Game. It will be quite interesting where this goes and I am excited to spend the next days working that out!

Player numbers are 2-4, depending on players playing the amount of cards on the hand will vary. Though in total there will be 110 cards. 60 Buildings, 15 Sabotage, 15 Defense, 20 Events. Though that still may vary but that is kinda what I have in mind right now.

I intend to have it run 15 turns whoever has most mines after that wins! Though additional game modes may come for different experiences and difficulties.

Game Accessibility is important and I intend to keep it in mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Bugeaud
Canada
flag msg tools
For me your base idea is more about Space Exploitation than Exploration. What about a twist on many ways to win :

Exploration (first one to establish a mining colony on a planet score some victory points)

Exploitation (The player who product the most win some victory points)

Ownership (Possessing grounds at the end of the game bring some victory points)

Research, Developpement & Equipement (Help achieve new actions and improve the capacity of the other domains).

Just some ideas

Yari'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Ferezin
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think exploitation is probably the better way to go over exploration when it comes to having the mechanics reflect territorial acquisition. Also good job on actually trying to go through the challenges instead of just reading them (which is what I did my first time reading the book).

Also I must say you may have inspired me since I skipped that challenge of the book because I really dislike war as a theme and I always have to play various iterations of a mechanic before I feel comfortable using it in my own designs. Have you read anything about territorial acquisition games or found an interesting one without a war theme? I feel like going back to this challenge might be fun for me right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lopez
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah probably should change it to that XD But do not want to make it sound 'evil'. Exploitation sounds rather like Abusing just for profit.

@Nicholas:

Also I hope to have inspired you Nicholas, that is what we Game Designers do for and to each other!!

Oh and well I have experience with Territorial Acquisition games of all kind and I thought 'why are all connected with war?' And simply then went away from that. Taking Monopoly as example, it also is basically a lot about Territorial Acquisition or is at least a big big part of the game. So I went with a company setting.

@Yannick:

I like the victory point idea and I may use that for some 'advanced game mode' Though I will stay away from the Research stuff because that is more stuff that should be done for Videogames rather than board games, at least the path I go.

Thanks for the input though!

@All:

I start working on a real life prototype this weekend and then I shall see how the first balancing session goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Bugeaud
Canada
flag msg tools
So is there any progress ? I'm really curious about the orientation of your project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lopez
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
First of All: HUGE APOLOGIES!

It's just too hard to keep up everywhere. Writing 2 blog entries a week (1 Game News, 1 Game Development Update), keep up to date with my (now 2) Twitter Accounts, Facebook, and everything else in Real Life!

BUT! ENORMOUS CHANGES!

Space Exploration is now 'System Sol, Inc.' as final name title. I have founded and own now 'Ultra Wolf', my Game Design Company. And my artists are working on the Tokens, Planets, etc.

Furthermore I go away from the Boardgame and make it tile-based. I figured (thanks of my main-artist - http://kkylimos.deviantart.com/) that it is much better, easier and fits better with my vision for the game and all games I want to create.

Because I want to make high-customization featuring games, and Tile-Based is the best solution for that.

Print and Play by the way is aimed for the end of July, so in around 2 weeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lopez
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Good news!!! I got an intern and can proudly also announce that the second project is in drafting phase, while System Sol, Inc. is going for the finishing touches on the Print & Play

Read more on my blog!

http://uriel1339.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/system-sol-inc-gam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lopez
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Somewhat bad news. SSInc. is delayed until 2015. Read the Details in my newest blog post:

http://uriel1339.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/target-acquired-20...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lopez
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
First Artwork!

Card Layout (by Jeffrey Bibbs):

Planets (by Kyriakos Kylimos):

1st Row: Mercury, Venus, Neptune
2nd Row: Jupiter, Mars, Pluto

So what do you think guys? I know Mercury needs some fixing because it's too dark with the Space-Background but we are working on it! Additional each planet will also receive a name-tag!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.