Popular Tags: [View All]
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need help with picking out a game that I can play with my parents. They aren't gamers so it will need to be a game that is lite on the rules and play under an hour. Please recommend a game from my collection or can be played with existing components as I am not trying to purchase a new game. So far I have played Traverse with them and it has went over well. I am thinking of trying Takenoko out with them as well. Some others I am considering are: Ingenious, Indigo, and possibly King of Tokyo.

What we ended up playing while they visited:
Couple games of TRAVERSE which they enjoyed a whole bunch. (Both parents, my daughter and myself)
Couple games of KING OF TOKYO. (My father, my 3 kids and myself)

I find simple abstracts like TRAVERSE are great games for non-gamers looking to play a game. I purposely picked this one, because I recalled playing many games of chinese checkers with my mother when I was a little kid.

My father had a hard time understanding what was going on with KoT the first game, but seemed to understand everything before the first game concluded. Played another one and he won. KoT is a great gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade went over really well with my early-60s parents. They enjoy the classic card games, so this fit into their world view. King of Tokyo, not so much. My dad enjoyed Carcassonne, I suppose.

I'm not much help, I'm realising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Morgan
United States
Freedom
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my dad is a die hard red neck and doesnt play games. He is 67 and has a hard time hearing. We played ticket to ride as a family and he loved it. Its easy and everyone can grasp it fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Takenoko with my parents. It's an easy game. I think they made it out to be harder than it was. I think the player boards confused them. It's amazing what we as gamers can adapt to on a new game and call it simple. Then you introduce someone to a game that they have never even came close to before and you can see their frustration.

Sorry I didn't look at your game bin but I would recommend Qwirkle or maybe even Tsuro. Simple games but they sharpen your thinking skills. Plus you don't have to keep going back over the rules with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi. I back to backed this several times with my in laws at Christmas and they loved it.

If you are up for buying a new game, I recommend Splendor. This game is similarly addictive. Played it over 10 times since purchase under a month ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection I see there's Pandemic and Settlers of Catan which are two biggies for bringing in new gamers. Hey that's my Fish and For Sale could both work. Could always leave your copy of Friday with them and see if they take it up one night when they're bored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
I tried Takenoko with my parents. It's an easy game. I think they made it out to be harder than it was. I think the player boards confused them. It's amazing what we as gamers can adapt to on a new game and call it simple. Then you introduce someone to a game that they have never even came close to before and you can see their frustration.

Sorry I didn't look at your game bin but I would recommend Qwirkle or maybe even Tsuro. Simple games but they sharpen your thinking skills. Plus you don't have to keep going back over the rules with them.

This happened to me with my parents, exactly. They were completely confused by multiple actions on a turn. We ended up playing with just completing the starting hand of cards, rather than taking up new cards. It's absolutely true that gamers are much more familiar with multiple actions in a turn, strategic decision making, and so forth. Qwirkle is good if they can do pattern matching, or try one of the classic card game variants like Haggis or some of the mystery rummy games, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
My mom is not a gamer at all, but she was able to play Castle Panic and Elder Sign (with some difficulty) with me. I'm going to try Love Letter with her once I translate the texts into Chinese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all that helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel you! Same here with my parents..

+1 for sale
+1 Hey! That's my fish

What worked with my parents as well:

Hanabi

My mother loved the fact she couldn't look at her own cards.
Game is pretty straight forward. 1 action, 3 options. give information, play card or discard a card. Only thing you should explain well is how to give information. That's it!

Might work well:

Cheaty Mages!

I think it's light enough to work. However, I haven't tested it with my parents.

edit: I see Hanabi already got recommended. Well +1 then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit works nicely for me with non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuff I've tried with my mum:

Love Letter
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Sushi Go!
Forbidden Island
Zombicide (seriously - it's thematic, it's simple, it's cooperative, and everyone understands horror films)
Eldritch Horror (ditto)
Carcassonne South Seas
Tokaido
Pick-a-dog
Bruges
Dixit
Coup
K2

Most successful: Love Letter, Zombicide, Carcassonne South Seas, Bruges (she won), Coup (mum likes Coup), Pick-a-dog, K2

Unsuccessful:
Ticket to Ride Nordic (too vicious... and she won)
Dixit (requires too much imagination - help!)
Forbidden Island (she didn't understand it)
Sushi Go! (she lost)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro is a good recommendation esp the 2nd one (of the seas)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Asdf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride

Tsuro

These are two pretty straight-forward games and very enjoyable for a lot of different people.

TtR usually takes a game before everyone gets the "ah ha!" moment. Then, most certainly, they want to play another round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.