Subject: Balance of the Force Challenge Decks....turn order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
When playing with the challenge decks, in say a 1 vs. 3, how does the turn order go? All 3 players on the one side and then the opposite player? Or does it alternate side by side (meaning the player playing the challenge deck is going to get more turns)?

Was going to finally break this out with my kids this weekend and wanted to be sure we were playing it right. I didn't see it stated anywhere in the rules that came with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Side still goes first, and each side gets one turn. during their side's turn, players go through each phase of the turn at the same time. For phases where the order of actions is important, players on that side take their actions in turn, going clockwise.

For more details, check the Balance of the Force rulebook, in the section on "General Multiplayer Rules". There are quite a few changes from basic dueling play - for instance, players can share cards with each other and support each other's attacks and defenses. Specifically, the heading "Turn Sequence and Phase Instructions" should answer the questions posted here.

It's worth noting that the challenge decks are balanced around 1v2 games. You can play 1v3, but it's extremely likely that the challenge deck will lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McGranor Jr
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In multi player, the basic turn order is the same, alternating Dark and Light. But each side with multiple players resolves each phase with their own turn order.

For example, if you are playing the DS challenge deck against 2 LS players, the Dark player takes his turn as normal, then Light player one would take his balance phase, followed by Light player two. Then LS #1 Refreshes, LS #2 Refreshes, LS #1 Draws, LS #2 Draws. And so on.

One important thing to remember is that although all players technically have a Balance Phase, only the first player for each side gets to advance the dial or damage an objective. And there are only 3 Force cards per side, not per player.

If you want to get some experience with playing multi player sometime, just let me or Matt know if you are free on a Saturday, and we can see about getting together for a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that in the challenge deck games, the side with multiple players will all take their turn together, going step by step through each phase so that each player gets a turn being the active player. That much is written in the rule book on the upper right of page 7. What I don't know is if the within-phase turns are constant. In 2v2, your seating position determines when you take your turn. Is it the same for 3v1?

This can really make a difference. So let's say there is a Rebel player and Smuggler player against Jerjerrod's Task. During the first turn, the Rebel player goes first during each phase. In a subsequent round, the LS players realize they need the Smuggler to lock things down with tactics first so the Rebel player can go in unopposed and not worry about edge. Can the LS do that? Or is turn order locked once you sit down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's locked in to seating order, in clockwise order. This is covered in the Turn Sequence and Threaded Phase section, which holds for all forms of multi-player games, not just 2v2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I read that top paragraph so many times thinking it should be in there. I didn't think it would rehash it over and over again in each phase description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the clarification everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.