Subject: Chicago Netrunner Regional - 19th Place - Gabe/Weyland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
First Last
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand very few are people are interested in 19th place, so I’m doing this for myself as much as anybody else. Also, geek gold is not a bad thing.

Venue

The Chicago regional on 5/10 was held at Pastimes Comics and Games in Niles, Illinois. They have a huge play area, but it is the most professional place I have ever played at. My one nitpick is that there are huge lines to get in the bathroom are common between rounds and they really need a second bathroom.

Though the website stated the first 64 to register would get the alt art Corporate Troubleshooter, we were told we ended up getting ether Scorched Earths or Wyldsides. At some point it was changed to the top 64 getting the Troubleshooter, and it is never ideal to promise promo cards but not deliver.

Unfortunately, there was a 45 minutes delay to starting due to software issues, but besides that the day zoomed by.

Tournament Notes

It was the new official format with 6 rounds of Swiss followed by double elimination. There were 87 players, with the majority of people from Chicago, but attendees were from all over Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri and Indiana. I’m from Bloomington Illinois, and we had 9 people in attendance from the local play group. Our neighbors from Champaign had 5 people in attendance, and I knew at least 1 guy from Peoria.

Meta Notes

With the recent release of Honor & Profit I had no idea what to expect. I feared a lot of Jinteki, and almost switched up my deck to help deal with it. Luckily, the only Jinteki I played against was Tennin Institute which had minimal net damage.

On the other hand Katman was everywhere. I went undefeated at my last tournament with a Supermodernism build, but I know that Shaper is often a bad matchup. I was not happy to see all of that. I realized that Supermodernism really punishes mistakes, so it is really good against new and mid-level players. I suspected that against high level players, who rarely make mistakes it was not as effective. As corp was my weak side in this event, I suspect this is true.

On a related note, there is a discussion on the Netrunner Geeks Facebook group about Supermodernism being dead.

My Decks

I went with the usual Gabe deck with a few tweaks for “Honor and Profit”. I added Planned Assault to tutor Account Siphon, Legwork and Indexing. I switched out an Armitage Codebusting for a Security Testing.

Chicago Regional 19th Place, Gabe

Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core Set)

Event (21)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Déjà Vu (Core Set) ••
3x Easy Mark (Core Set)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
1x Indexing (Future Proof) •••
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
2x Planned Assault (Honor and Profit)
3x Special Order (Core Set)

Hardware (5)
2x Desperado (Core Set)
3x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (5)
2x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
1x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (8)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Knight (Mala Tempora) ••
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (6)
3x Datasucker (Core Set) •••
3x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)

14 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Supermodernism

Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core Set)

Agenda (12)
2x False Lead (A Study in Static)
3x Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves)
1x Government Contracts (A Study in Static)
3x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (7)
1x Aggressive Secretary (Core Set) ••
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
3x Snare! (Core Set) ••••• •

Operation (15)
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Power Shutdown (Mala Tempora)
2x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
3x Scorched Earth (Core Set)
2x SEA Source (Core Set) ••••

Barrier (6)
1x Bastion (Creation and Control)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set)
2x Wall of Static (Core Set)

Code Gate (2)
2x Enigma (Core Set)

Sentry (5)
3x Archer (Core Set)
2x Grim (Opening Moves)

ICE (2)
2x Chimera (Cyber Exodus)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Mala Tempora

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Changes Considered to these Decks

For Gabe, HB is a pain. The ICE is so expensive to break, particularly Eli. I’m thinking of trying Atman in Gabe for to target troublesome ICE.
Also, soon it will be time to move away from Supermodernism, and more practice with NBN or HB is in order. I suspect that in local tournaments SM is still viable, but at big events like a regional Supermodernism there are too many high level players.

1st Round – Superbye

First rounds I went over to Walmart and looked for some sort of snack for later.

2nd Round – vs. Dan 0-2, 0 Prestige

Dan ended up second in Swiss, so the fact he crushed me does not make me feel so bad.

Gabe vs. HB: EtF

This guy was just pumping out sexbot assets and ICE. Really quickly he got everything ICEed up, and maybe I got a few points. Maybe.

Weyland vs. Kate

Katman all day long. Again with the money, and the link and the Atman. Not much I could do with that, and lost this one too. Got zip for prestige.

3rd Round – vs. Dan 1-1, 2 Prestige

This Dan was from the same meta that the round 2 Dan was from.

Gabe vs. MN - Win

Unfortunately, this one was packing 3x Closed Accounts, forcing me to care about tags. He used every single one of them against me too. I eventually pulled out to the win, but it was a long painfull process for the both of us.

Weyland vs. Kate – Loss

I have a hard time against shaper with Supermodrenism, and this was no exception. Could not keep up and he beat a win out of me.

4th Round vs. Caitlin 1-1, 2 Prestige

Caitlin was the most interesting opponent all day, occasionally she’d say something in German or start humming “Hooked on a Feeling”

Weyland vs. Express – Loss

If I recall correctly Catlin is did well with a breakerless deck in the past. This was almost few breakers, expect for a Yog and a Femme. She just used Datasuckers and Parasites to kill ICE, and Compromised Employee to make money off it. She used Yog to invalidate ICE, and Femme to just bypass what she can’t kill.

This was a really close game, where I managed to kill her Yog, but she killed a lot of my ICE. We got to 6 for me and 5 agenda points for her, and I had a counter on Project Atlas. I had 9 cards in my deck, 11 points scored between us, 2 fed to Archers, and a 3 pointer in my hand. I had a piece of ICE unrezzed on HQ so I knew she’d be hesitant to run it. She runs my R&D and I search out my last Hostile Takeover for the winning agenda and put it in my hand. With just one Project Atlas is sitting in my deck, and are 8 cards remaining that was a gamble I was willing to take. She pulls the last Project Atlas for the win.

Gabe vs. Tennin – Win

First round she Musin No Shin’s something out which I ignore for the rest of the game, I don’t remember much of this match expect thinking Tennin has a bit to go before it is ready for prime time.

5th Round – vs. George, 2-0, 4 Prestige

George was an incredibly nice guy from Hungry. He is in the states on a teacher exchange program, so we talked about how ANR is doing in Hungry.

Weyland vs. Andy – Win

Andy hit me hard and fast, and got to 5 points in no time. As far as I could tell he had no Decoder besides the centrals only decoder. This allowed me to get some points, but then he got an R&D lock.

I had an unrezzed Archer in front of HQ, but shortly after he put down a Faerie. I was crestfallen but decided to soldier on.

He got out 2x R&D Interfaces and started hitting my R&D, and all I could do is make it expensive. After a whiff on R&D, a power shutdown killed the Faerie. He hit R&D a few times more and got nothing. Luckily for me, he turned to HQ so I rezzed the Archer and killed hit Atman and Femme. I planned on getting to 9 credits and using an Atlas counter to search out government contracts, but he conceded shortly after because he had no way to recover from having both programs destroyed.

Gabe vs. TWiY - Win

George left his hand open, though I never really saw an Account Siphon. He just kept protecting R&D, though I could still get in. I believe that I scopped the winning agenda off R&D.

6th Round vs. Spags, 1-1, 2 Prestige

Yep, that Spags. He was much nicer in person than he is on BGG.

Gabe vs. HB: EtF - Win

What I have learned from playing against Sam in my local group is that HB can easily be my worst match up. If I win I have to hit him real hard, real fast. I was lucky and he drew codegates and I had Yog in hand. So it worked out pretty well, grabbing agendas from HQ, then Sneakdooring into HQ for more Agendas – though I took a Brain Damage from an Ichi 1.0. I got to 5 points very quickly. He was really focusing on ICEing up centrals and letting the sexbots make him money.

HQ was protected by a Datapike, unrezzed ICE and a Heimdall 1.0. I had a Legwork in hand and then I drew a Femme. I tried to keep pressure on him to limit the money he had, but with all the campaigns it was of very limited effectiveness. I kept getting money, and then I drop Femme on the unrezzed ICE and then Legwork. I clicked past the 2x ETR on Heimdall, bypassed a rezzed Eli and got in seeing three cards.

Weyland vs. Padman – Loss

This was pretty brutal. I assumed it was the usual Atman, but Spags was abusing Prepaid Voicepad to make events stupid cheap. Not only did he out econ me, but I don’t even want to go into details on this match. The best I could do was to make him work for his win.

Results

After the dust settled I got 19th place of 87. That is not as good as I would have liked but the field was a tough one and I played against a lot of good players. I think the Superbye I got from my Store Championship is what really saved me.

Dinner

We went over to the Omega Greek restaurant. It is convenient and only 5 minutes away from Pastimes. I had the Matzo Ball soup and Gyro Plate. The pastries on display looked awesome, so on the way out I bought baklava and a French Twist as mother’s day gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Vandover
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Love the report, especially what you ate for dinner! How did your mother like the baklava?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job. You were a much nicer guy than I. Glad I came off better in person, but that's not hard. I play the a-hole online quite intentionally; it's too easy and more fun.

Also, loved the 'small world' factor of both of us knowing Bret Swanson.

(yeah, normally, I can crush Gabe if I can double ICE centrals early, but the ICE selection, along with drawing most of my Agendas, was a bad combo.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.