Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played 3 times with 5 players the PnP version of Evolution.

What a great game! But the food supply was maintained with plenty of plants, so that any species don't lacked food.

This is normal and correct? I understand that in the second phase players define their contribution to the ecosystem, and could be less plants, but even so...

I was thinking that somehow you could define (each fourth phase) certain amount of meat in the Food supply. For example, 1 meat for every living species, subtracting that amount from the total contributed plants.

(15 plants revealed - 6 living species = 6 meats and 9 plants)

This way everyone would be forced to provide more plants to the ecosystem, the number of species would moderate and carnivores would care to maintain and not extinguish all.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a lot of plant food in the center, then people usually create more species in order to get those points (and some extra cards). I've played several hundred games now and food runs out in about half of the rounds in 90% of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: too much planht in the food supply?
Ok, I understand that I must play more times to master strategies, but I think we notice something and I just will pay attention to possible (and small) adjustments that add even more depth.

This game is really great and original, my group loved it, so I'll play the PnP a lot (before having the Kickstarter final version)

Dominic, the Long Neck trait recives 2 plants from the food supply or food bank? There is a slight inconsistency between the manual and a card image on BGG.

Clarify that detail would greatly appreciate. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Neck has gone through some changes recently. The current rules for Long Neck give you 1 Plant Food from the Food Bank (the food that is not in the game) when the Food Cards are revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Long Neck has gone through some changes recently. The current rules for Long Neck give you 1 Plant Food from the Food Bank (the food that is not in the game) when the Food Cards are revealed.

Long Neck found to be too powerful at a 2 food bonus?

Edited for punctuation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
domcrap wrote:

Long Neck found to be too powerful at a 2 food bonus

... Ok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a question by me. I will edit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
domcrap wrote:

Long Neck found to be too powerful at a 2 food bonus?

Edited for punctuation.

Yeah, it was found to be too powerful. The majority of the games in the office were starting to get won by big species with Long Neck and Cooperation. Once it because clear that it was a dominant strategy, we reduced the power of those cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtesting For The Win!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.