Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Godless heathens from Wisconsin sponsor Athiest billboards in Cleveland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Is nothing sacred to that hellhole of sin and depravity named Wisconsin (Indian for 'We hate Jesus')?
http://www.cleveland.com/religion/index.ssf/2014/05/clevelan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is getting about as repetitive as Tripp and his "What state has recently failed to meet the ObamaCare threshold?" threads. "Atheists are starting a billboard campaign across the country... what place is in the country where a billboard has gone up?" threads are entering the same Groundhog's Day territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
This is getting about as repetitive as Tripp and his "What state has recently failed to meet the ObamaCare threshold?" threads. "Atheists are starting a billboard campaign across the country... what place is in the country where a billboard has gone up?" threads are entering the same Groundhog's Day territory.

Wait, when was the last thread on something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Atheists are Freethinkers. Tell me, what are Muslims?

People who believe Allah is the one true prophet. Now you tell me, if a duck and half can go a mile and a half on a bike and a half, what good are igloos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Wait, when was the last thread on something like this?

Of late? It's toned down, but I base that solely on Tripp being rare around these parts. I suspect when he comes back with some time to spare, he'll start those up again. Either that or the "Everyone hates your guns" threads.

Neither of of which serves as anything but a diversion to the fact of... how many of these atheist billboards threads do we have now? And is there anything new to it aside from the fact that it's in Cleveland instead of Sacramento or wherever else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Neither of of which serves as anything but a diversion to the fact of... how many of these atheist billboards threads do we have now?

That was actually my question. A quick forum search just now found one in 2013, one in 2012 and one in 2010. Are there more that I'm missing or is an average of less than one a year "repetitive"? If it's the latter, we might as well shut the forum down and go home after about February.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
laugh

"The main idea is to help other freethinkers not be afraid to come out of the closet and know that there are plenty of other people of similar worldview."

Let the verbal gymnastics begin!

"Freethought" is a centuries old philosophy. It's not some new thing that modern atheists made up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't they know you should only put attractive people on billboards? Go back to marketing school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Neither of of which serves as anything but a diversion to the fact of... how many of these atheist billboards threads do we have now?

That was actually my question. A quick forum search just now found one in 2013, one in 2012 and one in 2010. Are there more that I'm missing or is an average of less than one a year "repetitive"? If it's the latter, we might as well shut the forum down and go home after about February.

Fair enough. But I guess my question would be the same as for it was for Tripp: "What new has come about? Is it just that it's Cleveland instead of Sacramento?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Fair enough. But I guess my question would be the same as for it was for Tripp: "What new has come about? Is it just that it's Cleveland instead of Sacramento?"

Different people come and go, opinions change over time. Who knows? It's an internet forum and some people like to talk about certain topics more than others. How many topics are just the same thing with a new veneer? Most of them, I would think. Hardly a day goes by when we don't have an active thread on at least one of the "big" issues like religion, global warming, gun control, abortion or the like. There's very little new to be said on any of those topics either, but people still want to keep saying them in different ways.

This seems like a bizarre choice of thread to get a bug about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Different people come and go, opinions change over time. Who knows? It's an internet forum and some people like to talk about certain topics more than others. How many topics are just the same thing with a new veneer? Most of them, I would think. Hardly a day goes by when we don't have an active thread on at least one of the "big" issues like religion, global warming, gun control, abortion or the like. There's very little new to be said on any of those topics either, but people still want to keep saying them in different ways.

This seems like a bizarre choice of thread to get a bug about.

Well, the top reason for the aforementioned bug would be a tie between the fact that it was nothing but a link and a one-liner (no context or opinion) and the fact that I've been told of late that I am completely lacking in mirth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
GameCrossing wrote:
and the fact that I've been told of late that I am completely lacking in mirth.

Well, go look for it (your sense of humor). It couldn't have gotten far. Have you checked under your couch cushions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
and the fact that I've been told of late that I am completely lacking in mirth.

Well, go look for it (your sense of humor). It couldn't have gotten far. Have you checked under your couch cushions?

I never find anything there. I was told I should look there from when I lost my virginity, but I couldn't find anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

According to the definition of "Freethought", faithful Muslims are not "Freethinkers".

I personally don't like the term, because there is no such thing as "free thinking" and the whole purpose of using the term is othering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

According to the definition of "Freethought", faithful Muslims are not "Freethinkers".

I personally don't like the term, because there is no such thing as "free thinking" and the whole purpose of using the term is othering.

BUZZZZZ

Is there a point to this, other than some game? I know I'll end up regretting asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

We'll chalk it up to a simple error on the Muhammad part, but negative points for twisting the question, unless he can come back and explain why his is a real answer.

Sorry, since I've never seen a picture of Allah or Muhammad, I have trouble telling them apart.

My answer is a real as the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Freethinkers are Freethinkers and Muslims are Muslims. Duh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Donald wrote:
Sorry, since I've never seen a picture of Allah or Muhammad, I have trouble telling them apart.

Oh, they're comin' for you now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
:laugh:

"The main idea is to help other freethinkers not be afraid to come out of the closet and know that there are plenty of other people of similar worldview."

Let the verbal gymnastics begin!

People of faith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Donald wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

People who believe Allah is the one true prophet. Now you tell me, if a duck and half can go a mile and a half on a bike and a half, what good are igloos?
oooooo. He fell and broke his ankle on his way to the mat. He's writhing in agony, but he seems to be saying atheists are simply people who don't believe Muhammad is the one true prophet, but tripped over his tongue.

We'll chalk it up to a simple error on the Muhammad part, but negative points for twisting the question, unless he can come back and explain why his is a real answer.
You asked what Muslims are, you did not ask what atheists were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a freethinker and a person of faith, your move Atheists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Science is a subset of reason, but not the entirety of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

I use science as the logo for my fantasy football team... that's doing something with science.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

If you were a free-thinker, you wouldn't rely on shitty memes to do your thinking for you.

That's why I relied on an awesome meme instead. Shitty memes have cats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.