Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: How much table space is required? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick D
msg tools

I'm very interested in this game, but don't want to purchase it only to find that I don't have a big enough space for it. So...

What would you say is the recommended table size for this game? How much space do I need? Keep in mind, I'm only asking about the BASE GAME.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
base game play area is a 3'x3' play area - but you'll need a bit more area for the tokens, damage cards, movement templates and your ship+upgrade cards...

I play quite comfortably on a 5'x3' table, a 3x4 foot table would be possible but a bit tight - A 4x4 card table would work too - but you'll need something to denote the 3x3 Play area...

In reality - i've used smaller tables, and for just the base game (1x and 2 ties) you can get away with a smaller play area 2x2. - The Epic game (huge ships) states a 3x6 area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 100 points on about 2x3 feet battlefield plus some space for cards. Works reasonably well. You need the 3' space between player sides to have the necessary "battle preparation phase" before the shooting begins. If the ships start closer, the only viable tactic will be "face enemy and fire".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
For me, I don't have a fixed table size. I play X-wing on any size area as long as there is enough space for the ships to move around. 2'x 2' is a pretty good area. It really depends on the number of ships being fielded and making sure there is enough space for them to move.

For official tournament games, there are regulation sized playing area.

I play for fun - so I would just mark off an area on a table and start playing. Not too hung up on the area size as long as there is enough space for the ships to move around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ndenitto wrote:

I'm very interested in this game, but don't want to purchase it only to find that I don't have a big enough space for it. So...

What would you say is the recommended table size for this game? How much space do I need? Keep in mind, I'm only asking about the BASE GAME.

Thanks.

We play 100 point games quite comfortably on a 120cm*90cm (a little less than 4x3) playmat with a line denoting the 3x3 playarea.

Just the base game without any expansions can be comfortably played on anything from 60*60 (2*2) up, with a little bit of extra space (6 inches maybe) to one side for the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick D
msg tools

Wow that's much smaller than I thought I would need! Thank you all so much for the quick responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ndenitto wrote:

Wow that's much smaller than I thought I would need! Thank you all so much for the quick responses!

The largest battles go 6' x 3' for the highest point games, but the majority are at 3' x 3' as already stated. I have a 6' x 3' piece of black felt I carry with me for X-Wing. Fold it in half for the small games, unfold it for the large ones. But we will drape it over any surface and any part that hands over, the edge of the table becomes the limits on those sides.

Also, not matter how many ships you have,t hey all tend to congregate in a 1' x 1' area any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play quite comfortably on a 4x3 table, with a 3x3 play matt. Templates, dice and beer on one side, cards, tokens and dials on the other. It's tight, but definitely fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so much fun you could even play it on the floor and enjoy it

That said I have a nice table that is about 6 x 4 and that is very comfortable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Oden
msg tools
This is good to know. I bought the core set at GenCon and was bummed when I opened it and saw it needed 3x3. My table is 2 and change wide, but we've got plenty of room length wise. I figure we'll just make do with what we have edge-to-edge for the width of the battle area. Someone said the important part is between sides and I have about 4' length for that and can insert some leaves to get more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Just be aware that smaller/skinnier table space affects some ships more than others. I have played on a smaller space a few times for various reasons (camping trips mostly) and ships like the Slave I are great at playing in a narrow corridor while other ships like the TIE interceptor really miss the extra space to maneuver around

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jonoden wrote:
This is good to know. I bought the core set at GenCon and was bummed when I opened it and saw it needed 3x3. My table is 2 and change wide, but we've got plenty of room length wise. I figure we'll just make do with what we have edge-to-edge for the width of the battle area. Someone said the important part is between sides and I have about 4' length for that and can insert some leaves to get more.

2'-and-change will probably do you for one side of the table, but I'd suggest setting up so that the ships' start edges are 3' apart. There does seem to have been some thought put into starting distance versus ship speeds, and changing those dimensions can skew things (as I found out when playing on a 3'3" surface (by accident, I'd thought I was using a 72-inch wide bolt of felt to make my mat, but it was really a 76-inch wide bolt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jonoden wrote:

Just go to your local home improvement store and pick up a 3'x3' piece of plywood and some sandpaper. Most places will even cut it for you. Place it on your table and you are good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing on a table that's just a bit smaller than the 3' x 3' required.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50116809/

It has two sliding leaflets (for an extra 30" total in length) that we use to accommodate tokens, cards, and such. The actual square play area is about half an inch short on each side than it needs to be (about 40 sq inches), but it works out just fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.