Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hirsch
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mb
So I've played the 2 player variant of China (i.e. Das Duell) twice with my wife. We're having difficulty with two of the rules, about which we were hoping to obtain clarification:

1. Every time a player places a marker on the board will he keep ONE of the cards played. The card is placed face up on the table."

2. As soon as a player has at least the same number of cards as his opponent of the type just kept he will take the corresponding Influence card and keep it face up on his side of the table.

We understood the first rule to mean that 1 card out of a possible 3 cards played per turn are not put on the discard pile, but rather in front of the player. The player subsequently builds up a collection of face up cards (thereby shortening the game's playing time, as the reshuffled deck will have fewer cards).

We understood the second rule to mean that the first player to have a face up card of a particular color, that player is given the Influence card of that color. However, once the other player has the same number of face up cards of the same color, he will effectively steal the Influence card from his opponent. Effectively, the Influence cards are traded back and forth throughout the game in this way.

So are our interpertations correct?

Thanks!
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the two player variant on the official game site, and is it in English? Thanks.

update: the english Duell variant for two players was uploaded over at the Kardinal and Koenig page. I moved a copy over to this page. The existing deull pdf was partially in german.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
We have not played this official 2 player variant, but will give it a go soon.

I agree with your conclusions on the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
We tried this tonight playing the strict interpretation of the rules. Yet another poor translation attempt, like almost all translations from German to English. Bizarre. The English rules to this expansion are particularly crappy - when will I learn?

I believe your interpretation is correct. But that's not the way we played. I should have printed out your msg and used that as a guide. Oops, forgot. Maybe we'll have a go again (tomorrow?). The saving grace is it's fairly quick.

Item 1 is definitely correct. Item 2 we played 'wrong'; we played that you didn't get the influence marker unless the other player had at least 1 card. Each of us got an influence marker, but could not swing the other 3 markers either way. Looked like it would work, but ultimately was way too stupid and fiddly.

On a second go, we threw out the influence markers and played only with the 3 special 'cards' - that worked well, and was more like the 'normal' game with more players, and thus more fun. However, it seemed too 'chancy', and a bit stupid, where the luck of the draw played too large a role. I don't recommend this 'das duel lite' except for pure brainless fun.

We also wonder if the Emperor 'may' take his action (as written) or 'must' take his action. We played 'may', as written and bolded in English. My German ancestors would be spinning in their graves, but I doubt they give a shite. I am not surprised you had a tough time with the poor translations of this expansion; we sure did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hirsch
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Well thanks for the follow up. We haven't played this in a while for just the reasons you describe. We also liked it better with two when we played without the influence markers or the special cards and just took turns as a dummy 3rd player and placed pieces wherever we wanted.
-Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.