Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Applying damage to fighters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hare
msg tools
So, in a recent OP, the TO and one of the players he normally plays against adhered to an interpretation of applying damage to Fed fighters that I had never heard and disagreed with. As he was the TO, I went with his ruling, but want to clarify it here.

How I understand it:
1) Ship A shoots at undamaged fighters (CS6) and gets four uncanceled hits.
2) Fighters lose their current stats token. With the new token, shields come back online.
3) Fighters now have one active shield and the CS5 stats token. End of story

How it was played:
2) Fighters take two damage and lose current shield and CS6 stats token. CS5 token is now active and shield comes back.
3) The remaining two damage is applied to following token (CS5). Since fighters can't lose multiple tokens from one attack, the damage only strips away the shield.
4) Fighters now have no active shield and are on CS5 token.

I've never heard of their interpretation. Have I and everyone I play against been misunderstanding this or was the TO mistaken?

This difference actually mattered for one game result that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
So, in a recent OP, the TO and one of the players he normally plays against adhered to an interpretation of applying damage to Fed fighters that I had never heard and disagreed with. As he was the TO, I went with his ruling, but want to clarify it here.

How I understand it:
2) Fighters lose their current stats token. With the new token, shields come back online.
3) Fighters now have one active shield and the CS5 stats token. End of story

How it was played:
2) Fighters take two damage and lose current shield and CS6 stats token. CS5 token is now active and shield comes back.
3) The remaining two damage is applied to following token (CS5). Since fighters can't lose multiple tokens from one attack, the damage only strips away the shield.
4) Fighters now have no active shield and are on CS5 token.

I've never heard of their interpretation. Have I and everyone I play against been misunderstanding this or was the TO mistaken?

This difference actually mattered for one game result that day.

Since damage cards are not drawn as normal, all that matters is that the single (4 hit) shot got through to your hull. At that point, you have taken maximum damage, and lose the token. The next token comes up, and the attack that took the other token is no longer an issue, it does not take away the shields, because there are no remaining damage cards to apply to it.

I think you're right, and he was misunderstanding the resource.

I've been wrong before though - but I have never heard of anyone playing that resource in that way.

DANVAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A single shot, no matter how powerful cannot take out more than one Squadron Token. It's the last sentence under (d) on the Resource Reference Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
A single shot, no matter how powerful cannot take out more than one Squadron Token. It's the last sentence under (d) on the Resource Reference Card.

Well, I think that is what was actually throwing the guy. He was think that the fighters continue to take damage till they can't because they would lose a second chit, as opposed to stopping once a chit is lost. Meaning, that the second incorrect method would be correct if that was the case, which to clarify it isn't.

To the OP the first is correct. You apply all the damage to the first chit, which is removed with it after the damage is applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Ray

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
Test
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above gentlemen are 100% correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Explain it to them thematically like this. The fighters represent a squadron. Each token basically represents how many ships you have in the squadron. The other ship is firing and can only hit one target. So it's like causing more damage than necessary to destroy a regular ship. All that damage goes to basically one fighter in the squadron. It only takes 1 to remove the shield and 1 to destroy the hull. Then that one fighter within the squadron is destroyed causing a token to be removed. The damage doesn't magically then get redistributed to another fighter.

That's why attack is higher with more tokens. More fighters focusing on one target. Agility goes up as tokens are removed because it's harder to hit fewer targets. Hull and shields remain the same because only one fighter at a time can be hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reldnahc
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
If that were the case then the Hideki's would go down with 4 damage, which isn't the case. I guess I misheard what you guys were talking about at the OP. I thought he was saying the shields come back up when you go to the next chit, not continuing the damage from the attack as well. I would have said something as well otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Yeah. You guys are reaffirming what I thought.

I accept that I don't always process things the way everyone else does. So I have to be able to accept that I could have misread something. It's good to get 3rd party opinions on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.