Famous First Downs: The World's Smallest Football Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Copy of most recent rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that there have been some rule changes between editions, is there a place we can download a PDF of the latest rules for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd Editions actually do away with the traditional rulesheet entirely in favor of the QuickStart cards and the online tutorial.

That decision was driven by consistent feedback I received, particularly from more casual gamers but also from some more experienced BGG-savvy players - even though the printed rulesheet was only a single double-sided page, players were finding the sheets intimidating. As a result, people were setting the game aside, not playing it, and not going online to view the interactive tutorials which offered a much easier and more visual means of learning the game.

Realizing that even mass market standards like Monopoly and UNO aren't played accurately by the majority of players, I made the tough decision to do away with traditional written rules. Players can now learn the game online and then use the QuickStart cards as a convenient reference during play. Since making that change, the once-common comment about the games seeming "intimidating" has disappeared entirely (I was shocked by how immediate and effective the change was, actually).

Further updates to the interactive tutorials are planned and the upcoming 3rd Edition will introduce a few tweaks and clarifications to the QuickStart cards as well (including a correction to Famous First Downs QuickStart Card #2, where I mistakenly swapped references to the Offense and Defense when discussing how Momentum is earned). At that point, the tutorial and cards should all be aligned. I'll release updated printable QuickStart cards here on BGG at that point as well.

I come from a software background and naturally approach these card games from a software-as-a-service standpoint, continually tweaking, fixing and improving things whenever I see an opportunity to make the player experience better. However, I'm realizing that that approach does pose some challenges for physical products such as these so I may choose to rethink that and allow development to come to rest once I release the 3rd Edition.

Sorry, that was a long-winded and complex answer to a very short and simple question. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobBartel wrote:
I'll release updated printable QuickStart cards here on BGG at that point as well.

I'd like that file very much. Im not always online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.