Subject: Flash Duel or BattleCON - Devastation of Indines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bret Kelso
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the subject suggests I am wondering what you guys think about choosing between Flash Duel and BattleCON: Devastation of Indines. I have seen the watch it played videos for both and also watched some reviews. I am wondering what others think.

A little about myself, I am a pretty eclectic gamer and like games of all types, but this would be my first game in the fighting game board game style which I am excited about. I mostly play two player games with my gf. She is not as into games as me, but she really likes games like Legendary, Biblios, Ticket to Ride and Qwirkle. She has also played Quarriors and the recent hottness MDM with me and likes those as well. I do have other gamer friends that would play two player games with me but my gf would be a safer bet to play more often.

I know that Flash Duel is more straightforward so I am wondering if you think that BattleCON, while it might appeal to me more, might be too complicated for my gf? Do you feel that BattleCON is significantly better so that it would be worth playing it with my gamer friends less often? Is it worth having both games for both situations? They do seem somewhat different.

I am looking for anyone's thoughts and especially those that might have played these games with people that aren't such serious gamers.

Thanks in advance.
Bret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I cannot comment on flash duel but I own battle con and LOVE it! It is not at all difficult to learn but takes a lot to master.

Tons of play in that box, it is gorgeous and fun.

Highly recommend!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCon's got quite a lot of depth to it, but it isn't particularly difficult. There are complicated characters, but the set is divided up into flights of increasing complexity, and the less complex fighters aren't weaker than the highly complex ones.

I'm a huge fan of BattleCON, and Level 99 in general, so take that with a grain of salt. But from what I've seen of Marvel Dice, it doesn't seem very different in terms of difficulty in understanding the rules or that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a huge plunge one day recently and decided to buy BattleCON...and I'm not disappointed at all. There's so much depth in that box and so much game and options that you can do all sorts of things.

My fiancee and I have played it together quite a bit and I would say that it's not terribly complicated to learn. There's a handy little comic that walks you through it in the beginning and the Watch it Played videos would also be helpful.

I can't say I've played Flash Duel, but I recommend BattleCON so much, especially if you are at all a fan of those classic 2D fighting video games (or modern ones).

Also, have you considered watching the videos with her and seeing which seems to appeal more to her?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've also played and LOVE Battle Con, but I've never seen it successful with someone who wasn't already a fairly serious gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both but ended up buying Flash Duel.

BattleCON is a great game. If you want the game that most imitates a fighting game this would be the one to get. However it is expensive, but it is a good deal for what you get. Also they should be reprinting War of Indines soon so it should be cheaper than the $85 for War. The game isn't complicated but it has a lot of room for getting better. There is a lot of reading but the simple characters are pretty straightforward. This game definitely feels more competitive than Flash Duel.

I got Flash Duel because I am more of a casual gamer. A game also lasts less than fifteen minutes which is good when you are short on time. It feels more lighthearted than BattleCON but the abilities do keep the game interesting and there is more depth than there first appears to be. Both games use positioning but Flash Duel adds a luck element that BattleCON doesn't have.

If you get BattleCON make sure you have an opponent you know will put in the same amount of time as you into the game. You don't want to get into the situation where you always win because there is no luck. If you don't know for sure I would pick up Flash Duel as it is a really fun game anyone can play. I actually wrote a review on it if you are interested. Either way you can't go wrong with these two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Kelso
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan L wrote:
If you get BattleCON make sure you have an opponent you know will put in the same amount of time as you into the game. You don't want to get into the situation where you always win because there is no luck. If you don't know for sure I would pick up Flash Duel as it is a really fun game anyone can play. I actually wrote a review on it if you are interested. Either way you can't go wrong with these two.

This is actually what I am a little concerned about for BattleCON. The lack of luck means that the better player always wins so I see matches being lopsided between my gf and I. Unless she is excited about it I don't think she will get that into it, so I appreciate the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Kelso
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jospanther wrote:
Also, have you considered watching the videos with her and seeing which seems to appeal more to her?

Yes great idea! I actually already sent the two watch it played - How to Play video to her in an email before posting this. Just takes her a bit of time to watch them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer BattleCON over Flash Duel. I feel like there's more room for strategy with BattleCON.

Also, I think next week, the Kickstarter for the reprint of BattleCON: War of Indines will be up. I don't know what the Kickstarter edition will look like, but the original War was cheaper than Devastation, so that's an option.

Also, there's a free print-and-play for War of Indines. You could always just print it out and play a couple of games with her to see if she likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Flash Duel, once upon a time, precisely because I thought it would give me that fighting game feeling but be simple enough to play with casual gamers. And it was simple enough, but it didn't grab me! I think you have to be moderately deep into the game before the characters really feel different from one another; until then, it's relatively straightforward. And there's some amount of bluffing involved, so with casual players, some of the depth is just not there to discover.

Shortly after that, I discovered BattleCON and fell in love with the game. It *does* involve slightly fiddlier rules-- in particular, new players often struggle with "Start of Beat" vs. "Before Activating". But on the other hand, you can throw down cards and see what happens, and it's still fun. If I play a character I don't know well against a newbie, they have a decent chance of beating me; their lower skill level also makes them less predictable, which undermines some of my advantage of experience.

I haven't played MDM, but my impression from reading about it is that anybody who's okay with the intersecting special abilities should be fine with the complexity of BattleCON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.