Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Barricades for ASL is the first Historical ASL Module. The game is played on a historical map and focuses on the area to the East of the Volga river around the Barrikady Tractor Factory.

This is not a stand alone game, you must own the ASL Rulebook and Beyond Valor in order to play.

Besides the two mapsheets, there are additional counters provided. The introduction of fortified buidling locations, Russian Molotov Projectors and more are included. Boobytraps play a part as do snipers and use of fortifications and OBA.

Since the release of the module two more campagin games have been published as well as Solitaire ASL missions for use on the Red Barricades Map, additional scenarios, and some what if options for the inclusion of Allied Lend-Lease equipment for the Russians and Romanian Troops for the Germans.

The scenarios range from very small using just 30 hexes of the map to the Largest which covers almost the entire map.There are special rules that are in play for all of the scenarios and campaign games and additional terrain types are introduced, debris, factory, debris, roofless factory, burned out factories, and more.

The campaign games let you recreate the battle starting as early as 17 Oct 1942.

This is a slug fest and is not for the faint of heart. You will see much higher than normal counter densities as well as having to deal with large numbers of casulaties and troop quality replacement.

The Red Barricades Module sets the stage for all the future Historical ASL products with the campaign game rules covering extensive work between the campaign dates. You create perimeters, determine whether trapped troops escape, broken equipment is repaired or eliminated, optional units are retained or recalled. Permanent terrain changes due to OBA and fires are determined. Troop quality improvement, Leader improvement, determination and selection of additional reinforcements takes place here. Both sides draw chits during this time to determine who has the initiative for the next scenario with Idle days possible. Mutual Attack, one-sided attack, and night actions are all possible. And victory is determined.

One of the unique features is the purchase system, where you randomly receive points which are used to purchase additional units. The units range from Infantry Companies through heavy rocket barrages. Tanks, Armored Cars, Anti-Tank and Artillery Assets, Militia, Molotov Platoons, assault engineers, and more. Purchases made for on map deployment cost more for the Germans. Units purchased in reserve cost less for the Russian and can be cloaked from German Recon.

This Module provides hours of intense action and fun. You get to test your skills on attack and defense. Given the size of the battlefield you can be doing both simultaneously on different parts of the map.

If you choose to play the Russians be prepared to endure deep territory losses and troop losses. You must either defend the lines initially at all costs to hold back the Germans or give ground gradually until you begin to receive the benefit of additional reinforcements from across the Volga. As the German you must attack aggressively and push as hard as you can to gain as much territory from the Russians as early as you can and then be prepared to defend it aggressively as you see the decline in available reinforcements as the games progress.

If you enjoy ASL, or are interested in ASL, the Eastern Front and the Battle of Stalingrad this is a must own module. It is rated by ASL players as the best of the HASL modules that have been released. If you are intimidated by the thought of the complexity of ASL, DON'T BE! Try the new ASL starter kits from MMP and work into the rules, because you don't want to miss the Red Barricades!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I are currently playing Campign game III and I'll agree that this is the best game ever. We just finished the fourth day yesterday and counted up our losses as 15 German squads and 14 and a half Russian squads. I had 2 hmgs and one mmg break on the last turn, lost a mortar whle trying to repair it and lost two leaders, even with those losses, I still can't wait to get back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my current playing of CG3 I have a top-notch Russian opponent who has stalled my drive into the city. I am literally clinging to the NW corner of the map. It is one of the most exciting games I have ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, I know what you mean. I am basically heading south along the west edge and taking those buildings as well as the next row across the street but I have been stalled trying to move into the main factory area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This IS a phenomenal game. I think that it's the only game I rated a 10 here. All others pale in comparison. This is the pinnacle of gaming

I've done the whole enchilada a couple of times, but never to completion. Basically, we got to a point that one of us couldn't win (say day 23 or so) or someone else's morale cracked. I have "won" a couple of times (enemy surrendered) and lost once or twice.

There's a lot of articles and suggestions out there, so I won't go into all of it, but the game rocks! You get to play with all the toys. You also get to have every single event in the system happen to your cardboard boys. From Hero creating to weird surrenders to popping out of a hidden tunnel to rubbling a whole building hex and taking out a killer stack to evaporating a stack through FP, rockets or flamethrower to Stuka bombing that killer tank in the way. It's awesome.

(OH and my personal note is that everyone complains about those pesky little mortars, but I love them. Watch a road crossing or a HIP spotter on top of a building...hee hee. The ROF rocks and sure the sniper sucks, but he'll move more carefully next time. Two mortars with a squad adjacent to a crappy spotter...:-)

I have an SL devotee that I'm trying to convert over to ASL. Being a Navy guy, we'll probably try Blood Reef Tarawa first, but I still plan to ultimately play RB again. One day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my most important and can't live without ASL modules: ASL Rulebook v2, BVv3, RB, VotG and SASL II; everything else I can live without I'm currently playing VotG CG-2 and I'm having a blast! RB will be played after that... I rate both RB and VotG as the only 10/10 games.

There is an outstanding book on the subject of Stalingrad Barikady factory - exactly the same Stalingrad where RB CG takes place - the book is called "Island of Fire" written Jason D. Mark...tactical level; it doesn't get better than this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Since the release of the module two more campagin games have been published as well as Solitaire ASL missions for use on the Red Barricades Map, additional scenarios, and some what if options for the inclusion of Allied Lend-Lease equipment for the Russians and Romanian Troops for the Germans."

What are the names/publishers of these items?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
JG53_Jaguar wrote:
Here are my most important and can't live without ASL modules: ASL Rulebook v2, BVv3, RB, VotG and SASL II; everything else I can live without I'm currently playing VotG CG-2 and I'm having a blast! RB will be played after that... I rate both RB and VotG as the only 10/10 games.

There is an outstanding book on the subject of Stalingrad Barikady factory - exactly the same Stalingrad where RB CG takes place - the book is called "Island of Fire" written Jason D. Mark...tactical level; it doesn't get better than this.
I would agree with most of that except I would lose SASL and add Pegasus Bridge which I really enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
"Since the release of the module two more campagin games have been published as well as Solitaire ASL missions for use on the Red Barricades Map, additional scenarios, and some what if options for the inclusion of Allied Lend-Lease equipment for the Russians and Romanian Troops for the Germans."

Yes, I know this thread is old but where does one find these additional campaign games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:
Gronak wrote:

Yes, I know this thread is old but where does one find these additional campaign games?

Here are couple of lists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Advanced_Squad_Lead...

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/ASL_Modules

Now where you can buy them ... who knows? Here are a few to buy.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/Category...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.