Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Brock
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I really love this game and I know the simplicity is a part of it, but I still want more. Do you think this game could have expansions in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe goodies, like new nobles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like an expansion that adds a 5th player. The game scales pretty well for different player counts and I don't think an extra player would add too much to the playtime,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if an expansion is necessary in this game. I mean, what else would you add to it? More cards with different costs on them? I don't think that would add much to an already great game. Other than that, a different theme? That's all I can think of, but then of course, the theme doesn't really matter in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
If it wins the SdJ, you can bet your house on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's bound to have one or even multiple expansions.
New cards, new nobles.

You could have bonuses that you get if you discard some of your cards.

You could have special powers that would let you use certain types if gems as if they were another.

Secret objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon George
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a whole bunch of space in the card storage section of the game box, which I interpreted as being room for additional cards to be placed if (or when) expansions get published. Not a foolproof method of gauging expansionability (no, that's not a real word), but it's usually quite a good indicator

Maybe they were just waiting to see the popularity before deciding to publish the obligatory 5th-player expansion and bonus nobles/cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Not clear that there is design space for a real expansion though if (as seems likely) this wins SdJ there will be pressure for such.
But there is clearly the possibility of one or more promo nobles and maybe even some promo cards:

How about:
Pope Alexander VI - requires 2 of each colour and provides 2 VP?

I can be reasonably confident that this is not overpowered and it probably isn't too weak either.
… and if you wonder why I have chosen him just read the wikipedia article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching the series now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One clear design decision that I was frankly a little surprised not to see are cards that provide more points but no bonus gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, the designer said in an interview that he didn't plan on it having any expansions. Personally, I like it as is. Expansions would interfere with the elegance of the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game really needs to figure out how to expand to 5 players!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Halbhuber
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
We play 5 players all the time never had an issue other than a shortage of chips... it's something we just deal with but still works for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
If I remember correctly, the designer said in an interview that he didn't plan on it having any expansions. Personally, I like it as is. Expansions would interfere with the elegance of the design.

Not by the nature of being an expansion alone. Elegance comes from design, and can be maintained. It certainly gets harder, however.

It could be done, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicolò mengarelli
Italy
flag msg tools
i do this 2 expansion noble tiles
+3 for 2-2-2-2-2 gems
+3 for 6 of a color of your choise

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2245703/jotaro?size=original

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pathologic
msg tools
For five people, I (and my family) play with three changes:

# Add one more "coin" of each color, for eight each.
# Use a field of five, not four, 3-spot cards.
# Deal out six nobles.

The first helps with the first couple rounds, when everyone's preparing for purchases, but there's more competition for the cheap ones, so you end up holding more "coins".

The second and third help broaden the paths to victory, slightly reducing the impact of turn order.

-Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie B
United States
flag msg tools
I know Asmodee have released some promo nobles. Here's a photo of the set I recently got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could perhaps see cards being released that either A. Give you points but no gem B. Give you a wild card that can be used as any gem card but don't count towards lords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kennedy
msg tools
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Them's the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Meeple
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned in a few replies, I would love to see an expansion for up to 7 or 8 players.
We did manage to play with 5 players without changing any rules and works surprisingly well. The game just takes a bit longer to finish.

The game flow is pretty fast and most of us in our gaming group love this game. Not only is it simple and fun but also relaxing, taking your mind off Axis and Allies for example. meeple

It's also a great game to play on the side when a player is taking a forever turn in most tactical board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
We've been making our own noble cards and wild cards, which is pretty fun! Some that are kind of out there, just to shake up the gameplay (e.g., one card gives you two red bonus rubies but takes away one bonus onyx). Again, this isn't for everyone, but it's just been fun to design and throw some of these new cards in for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Koch
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sabett wrote:
I really love this game and I know the simplicity is a part of it, but I still want more. Do you think this game could have expansions in the future?

It was just announced on Dice Tower Breakfast that there will be a Splendor Expansion coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.