Subject: My Impressions: Rokoko rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone...

Played Rokoko the other day and decided to give you my impressions of the game

The game is fantastic, I really love the mechanics, specially the way the deck building works... the workers we hire (cards we buy) come to our hands in the moment we buy them, meaning that we will get to use them in the same turn we bought them and that is awesome... we have to plan the turn in two ways: 1- if we will be able to get to hire anyone and how we can use them 2- or if we don't get to hire anyone and use only the 3 cards we have selected for that turn!

and yes, I said selected... and that's one other awesome thing about the mechanics of Rokoko, we build a deck and we use it has we see fit...
You have your deck and your discard pile... you start with 5 generic workers (cards) equal to everyone, and you select 3 of those 5 cards to use in the 1st turn of the game...
In the second turn you'll have to use the 2 cards you didn't choose for the first turn and the discard pile (the cards you used in your previous turn, include any new cards you bought and used) gets flipped to your new deck and from the cards you have there you select one more to use this turn...

So there's no luck involved here... you build your worker deck and you get to select the workers that best suit your strategy from the ones available on your deck (the ones that are not in your discard pile) and this is just great... not a common mechanic in deck building games.

The Board is stunning and fitting the theme of the game perfectly.
Then you get to buy Resources (silks, yarn or Lace), you get to make dresses and jackets for the nobles to wear to the Royal Ball and you are trying to get those nobles with your Dresses and Jackets in the best places on the various floors of the Palace so you can score majority bonus... you also contribute to the magnificence of the Ball by contracting Musicians, paying to build ornaments like the Fountains and the Statues and finally the most spectacular Fireworks any has ever seen...
You can also get the Favor of the Queen, that means becoming 1st player in the next turn (and this is important) and getting 5 Livre (money)... in the last turn of the game that will also score you 3 points.

The game is great, we didn't have AP problems (we were all 1st time players of the game), turns went smoothly for the most part of the game, of course that here and there we had to pause to think things better but that didn't bog down the game...

It's a game that I truly recommend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all of your points! Especially how beautiful the game is! However, I don't know if you agree but I do feel like the game needs more cards with different abilities and ways of scoring. Once you learn the game, you pretty much know what is going to come out and what to go for. Even then, it's still a good game, but more card variety would make the game really shine IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always for elements that introduce more variety in games... and more cards would do that...

I agree that an experienced player if able to get the right kind of cards will crush the others... if the game had more cards for each turn and in the setup some would be left out then the players wouldn't know for sure what was coming out next and that could make a difference...

So gives us more cards please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not available in US market at retail. Too expensive ordering direct from publisher. (Relative to the majority of other games when also bought online.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it twice and agree with your assessment! It is a relaxing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Not available in US market at retail. Too expensive ordering direct from publisher. (Relative to the majority of other games when also bought online.)

It is available in canada at most online stores!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow i just can't get my head around to play this... the theme just doesn't make it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
Somehow i just can't get my head around to play this... the theme just doesn't make it for me.

Your Loss What's the problem that guys have to play a game that makes Dresses? Let's play Prêt-a-Porter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Curt,

I think you meant to say Rococo is not available at discount. It is certainly available for retail price at many games stores and on our website. MSRP for Rococo is $60. On our website, free shipping in the continental US starts at $75.

Thanks to all of you for your comments on Rococo. I particularly enjoy playing it myself.

Best regards,
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
http://www.eaglegames.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Oblivion wrote:

Your Loss What's the problem that guys have to play a game that makes Dresses? Let's play Prêt-a-Porter?

True, and there were probably tailors before there were seamstresses. And what of chefs, butlers, gardeners...? But I do get it if you don't like the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is sad when a theme prevents people from playing a good game. Except zombies. Zombies suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
I think you meant to say Rococo is not available at discount. It is certainly available for retail price at many games stores and on our website. MSRP for Rococo is $60.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize it was available at B&M stores, as I don't visit them. Sorry for the misinformation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Themewise, I think it all depends on the person. The thing is that the current board games market has a number of substrata. Some people are put off by a theme like this, whilst others are drawn to it. I can understand why some people wouldn't like this. Conversely, if I see a Fantasy or Sci Fi game that looks interesting, it's subjected to 10 times as many checks on gameplay before I buy it, and they still have the highest failure rate of games that I buy.

Where this game will succeed where Pret a Porter failed, is that it is pitched at the top end of SdJ or at Kennerspiel, as opposed to Pret a Porter, which was pitched at the same level as Terra Mystica/Agricola. I'm prepared to be wrong in my prediction, but I think that this will do reasonably well in Germany, but won't really take off in the states. I see it as a close analogue to Village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
curtc wrote:

Curt,

I think you meant to say Rococo is not available at discount. It is certainly available for retail price at many games stores and on our website. MSRP for Rococo is $60. On our website, free shipping in the continental US starts at $75.

Thanks to all of you for your comments on Rococo. I particularly enjoy playing it myself.

Best regards,
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games

I live in Canada, why would I spend $75 or even over $60 for Rococo?

I can buy both Steam Park and Gravwell for a cheaper combined price. Or I could also buy both Last Will and Machi Koro for a cheaper combined price.

I bought Glen More 18 months ago (an Alea Game) by Mattias Cramer for $20. I'd argue it's a better, tighter game too.

I'll never buy Rococo unless it is discounted. That fact is on the publisher and how it's distributed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Oblivion wrote:

I am actually requesting this for FATHER'S DAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Kauk wrote:
DragonCat wrote:
curtc wrote:

Curt,

Best regards,
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games

I can buy both Steam Park and Gravwell for a cheaper combined price. Or I could also buy both Last Will and Machi Koro for a cheaper combined price.

I bought Glen More 18 months ago (an Alea Game) by Mattias Cramer for $20. I'd argue it's a better, tighter game too.

I'll never buy Rococo unless it is discounted. That fact is on the publisher and how it's distributed.

Let me know where to get Glen More for around $20 and I'll order it tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stark
Australia
flag msg tools
Todd Kauk wrote:
DragonCat wrote:
curtc wrote:

Curt,

Best regards,
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games

Whereas I'd happily pay $75 for this game if I could find it available anywhere in Australia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this back in January from E-G Games via their Amazon.com listing. It's actually cheaper now ($60 inc shipping in the US) from another seller there. I don't regret paying full MSRP- it really is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked it up this week. Making dresses never crossed my mind, till now! Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.