Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: I Suck :I rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asher Kobin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Been losing every game so I tried the "easy variant" where you remove the tentacle Mythos cards. Still lost badly in those two games.

Been playing a two investigator game. Thinking about bumping up to 4 to cover more space but of course gates, surges, etc increase as well as more resources for solving mysteries/rumors.

I've been thinking of other ways to make it easier. Perhaps give investigators 3 actions, or allow an additional path move. Maybe use 3 investigators and treat everything as if there were just two.

A victory under my belt would increase my confidence to boost up to normal difficulty. Any other ideas?

BTW this is certainly the most fun game to lose at LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a fairly easy game you should try fighting Yog Sothoth with a strong spellcaster (I really like the old man, but can't remember his name) and Lily Chen. She's good at fihing and really flexible, and the old man will help you solve misteries easily (they often require you to use and or discard spells).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're losing literally every game, you're either doing something wrong rule-wise, or just making a very bad game decisions all the time. It can't be all bad luck. Are you sure you got everything right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
If you're losing literally every game, you're either doing something wrong rule-wise, or just making a very bad game decisions all the time. It can't be all bad luck. Are you sure you got everything right?

Those are the only two options? That's not fair. At a 50% win loss, it's not improbable that someone can't win his first five games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me 5 to win one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Those are the only two options? That's not fair. At a 50% win loss, it's not improbable that someone can't win his first five games.
Losing a lot, switching to easy mode and then losing some more - yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Took me 5 to win one.

Same here.
My first win was 4 investigators vs. Azathoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some close calls, but so far only one victory. But that was pure luck because we had randomly chosen two spellcasters against Yog-Sothoth.

Most of my games were wrecked by the Wraith. It appeared every single game, if my memory doesn't deceive me. That surprise curse is awful when you only have one or two investigators on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Farrester
msg tools
Eldritch Horror has been a favorite in my gaming group and the discussion always comes up that it's STILL incredibly hard to win. Inevitably, the discussion comes up on how to make the game easier, especially for players new to the game. (Because I think it's a sterling entryway Call of Cthulu game.) Here are some of the variants we've discussed:

1) The Lead Investigator gets an additional third action. This will make the decision of who is the Lead Investigator a tad more interesting to hold, rather than just "going first."

2) Everyone gets a MOVE action, then their additional two actions for their turn. I think half the reason why Eldritch is so hard is related to mobility; not getting to the spaces characters need to by the end of action phase.

3) Not playing with Tentacle Mythos Cards and/or playing with Elder Sign Mythos cards. Tentacles are generally harder, Elder Sign Mythos cards are easier.

4) Adding a little more to the Doom Track. At the beginning of the game (and especially if I'm with new players), I would add 3, maybe 5 turns to any Ancient One's track just so new players get used to the flow of the game and understand the basics. This is heavily skewing the game towards the investigators but that's what you're looking for, right? For example, for the first three or five turns, I would have the game's beginning Spawning Effects of Clues and Gates but without doing the Mythos phase and with no revealed mystery; just three or five turns with Action, Encounter, move the Doom Track one space. Action, Encounter, move the Doom Track one space. This will give the players a chance to "Power Up" their character with Assets, maybe a clue, maybe some Improvements to their Skills. Then, when the Doom Track gets to the actual number specified for that Ancient One (Azathoth is 15, Yog is 12, etc.), then we reveal a mystery and perform all three phases as normal.

Sorry if this is more than you asked for, I just thought I could help here. Eldritch Horror is my favorite game at the moment and it remains one of the most difficult games I've ever played. I enjoy it but know that it can be very aggravating to not win even one game yet. I feel ya.

Good luck and I hope this helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moriarty00 wrote:

3) Not playing with Tentacle Mythos Cards and/or playing with Elder Sign Mythos cards. Tentacles are generally harder, Elder Sign Mythos cards are easier.

I would not start with making lots of house rules. I like house rules but only if they serve a well defined and clear purpose.

Start with that the official easy option of only easy Mythos Cards. If you want an extremely non-challenging game spawn one less gate on set-up.

EH can be a challenging game and I have found in a large group of inexperienced players (4+ players) it can be very hard to win. Everyone needs to be planning and paying attention. Many new players make the mistake of treating it as a random non-strategy dice fest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually for an easier game than easy mode and somewhat thematic, play with a proggressive mythos deck.

(Seperate all mythos cards into 9 piles with elder sign, normal and tentacles seperated from each other and use only the easy piles for the 1st stage, only normal for the 2nd and only hard for the 3rd)

This makes for a very nice and easy start where you can collect items and clues before really dealing with the mysteries. It also often makes you feel that you have bad luck because most of the elder sign effects can't trigger properly at that point.

To bring difficulty up to something resembling easy/normal you HAVE to include an easy rumor at the start, and bumping the other rumors up a difficulty level.

I have lost once witht this kind of setup, and I've played 5 or so games with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me 4-5 games to finally win one. The two things that helped were:

* Playing with 4 players rather than 3. The mysteries that depend on the number of investigators / 2 make odd numbers of player much harder than an even number of players. There is a huge boost going from 3 to 4 players.

* Learning that some types of encounters cards prefer one stat over another. You want the characters with high lore to seal gates, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just won my first game tonight against Azathoth. I played solo with 2 investigators and I had a great deal of luck with the way things played out. I played Norman Withers and Trish Scarborough and won handily with 9 Mythos cards left in the deck.

I would keep at it and only play on easy if you are not having fun losing. We lost our first game because the Colour Out of Space occupied Tunguska and we were on our final mystery which just happened to be Seed of the Daemon Sultan. What a game! I can't tell you how happy I was to have the Colour Out of Space come from a green meteorite in the earth. It made the whole experience that much more exciting.

Our second game was a much bigger loss. We decided to let the earth be devoured because we realized the futility of our puny mortal endeavors.

Hang in there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.