Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: What about the food of a species if is extinct or reduced its population? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
Say I'm the first player and I have a long neck species with 3 population.

1) At the beginning of the feeding phase I get 2 free plants from the bank, then with my normal action I get 1 more plant from the food supply, but after a carnivore attacks me and my population reduces to 2. After that phase, I keep the 3 points in my bag or just keep 2 of them?

2) Assuming that remain more hungry carnivores, and my species was extinguished. I could keep the 3 points or lose all?

I played keeping these points, and I really hope has been right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter 'Pedro' Goins
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only keep food for population still alive at the end of the round. So for your scenarios:

1) You only keep two food. The third is returned to the food bank.

2) You would lose all of the food on that species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooooooo!!!

That's bad because it means that when a carnivore attacks earn X points = a meat (which can be many) PLUS 2 POINTS OF THE PREY (for its food and its population).

I think that's too much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
Nooooooo!!!

That's bad because it means that when a carnivore attacks earn X points = a meat (which can be many) PLUS 2 POINTS OF THE PREY (for its food and its population).

I think that's too much!

And that "without considering" the devoured player spent time and actios to get that food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have tested both version in the office many many times. The game works with either rule set, but we're leaning towards players not collecting the food because it seems to be easier to explain in the rules, and because that's what most people seem to expect (though obviously in your case, it was not what you expected).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Uf, ok...

So it could be considered a variant for experienced players?

The other way is easier to understand, but carnivores will gain some advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true. The way that is in the current rules is advantageous to carnivores.

But keep in mind that we haven't yet decided for certain which rule we will use. Which way do you think is better? Keep all the food that you eat regardless of whether you get eaten later (or if you hurt yourself on someone else's horns when you attack them), or only get food equal to your population at the end of the round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that players can keep that food could get, and the rules could easily explain that adding:

"Leftover food in a species after losing population must be stored immediately in the bag"

Question... When a carnivorous attacks a horned species, earns meat first and then get lost population? or first reduced its population and meat eating one less?

With my group we considered eating before reducing their number, so this case is a good example of leftovers food. "That leftover meat is immediately saved in player's bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
You cut your Population down to 'eaten' food.

You cut your food down to the Population that can eat it.
(You cannot score what is not in the belly of the living)

As for Horns, it says when they are attacked, the attacker loses 1 Population, we do that like a cost of attacking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
The other way is easier to understand, but carnivores will gain some advantage.
But isn't that the point? Traits are supposed to give your species an advantage. The Carnivore trait is already mitigated by defensive traits like Camouflage, Climbing and Horns. Yes, coming across those traits is random, but so is Carnivore -- which is also a defensive trait, since one Carnivore can (and usually should) eat another!

This is how (at least from my perspective) the game is supposed to progress: a species gets a Trait that gives it an advantage, and other species either have to evolve to compete or die out. It's almost like real life...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.