Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hobbit: On the Doorstep» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Lonely Mountain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Does Smaug the Magnificent attack the first player during every combat phase? I assume he does at is says he is engaged with the first player but stays in the staging area. I figure the first player can then attack Smaug to get his hit points lower than the quest travel tokens on stage 3 or you could never damage him, even with Gandalf’s ability when he enters play.

Am I correct you can’t move to stage 3 of the quest until you have completed one successful burgle attachment after traveling successfully in stage 2?

Do "player card effects" include cards from the Encounter deck?

Is there anyway to make a burgle attment without the encounter deck or quest cards telling you to. I got ride of Smaug and can finish easy but would like to get more of the treasures before I travel my final 4 on quest 3.

I found the switching in and out between Smaug the Golden and Smaug the magnificent a bit confusing, but as best I understand it, if you get forced to go to stage 4 after questing you get rest back to quest 2 until you can finally get Smaug the Magnificent out of the game and finish questing for 20 travel on quest 3. Not really one of my favorite quests and had to go to easy mode to beat it. Will go back and try again with shadow cards in the future once I get the game play down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
1. Smaug the Magnificent does attack the first player every combat phase. Furthermore, the Forced effect on Smaug the Magnificent allows him to keep attacking again and again until he makes an attack without a shadow card with a burgle effect!

2. You are correct. The only way to move on to stage 3 is to satisfy the first Forced effect on the stage 2B quest card, which has you make a successful burgle attempt after questing successfully.

When advancing from stage 2 to stage 3 there's something that applies that may not be obvious: note that determining that you have quested successfully comes before placing progress tokens (as per section 1.24 of the FAQ). The first Forced effect on stage 2B triggers when you determine that you have quested successfully, the Forced effect then allows you to advance to stage 3 (after a successful burgle attempt), and progress tokens from the resolution of the quest are then placed on stage 3 (and yes, I checked this with Caleb, months ago).

3. Encounter card effects are not player card effects. For instance, Known to an Ounce can increase Smaug's threat strength but Gandalf, when he enters play, cannot damage Smaug (due to Smaug's immunity to player card effects).

4. You only make a burgle attempt when instructed. Furthermore, the only card that tells you to take treasure cards is the stage 2B quest card. Note however that the first Forced effect on stage 2B gives you an option: you may advance to stage 3 or you may stay on stage 2 to get more treasure.

5. I believe you have the right idea. Stage 2 advances to stage 3 or stage 4, and stage 4 advances to stage 2. Smaug the Golden is present in stages 1 and 2, Smaug the Magnificent is present in stages 3 and 4.

I hope all this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
That was a tremendous help Black Spark thank you very much. I'm off to fight in the Battle of Five Armies. I hope to die in an epic last stand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.