Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Several people pointed out that some members of the board wanted him out for their own reasons in the Eich thread. So, good sleuthing Sherlock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course sacking him had sod all to do with his views on gays, and a lot of people said that.

Like in a lot of other cases where it has been suggested it is purely for economic reasons that people have been sacked. It is just coincidence that it happens at a time they are reported to have acted like twats.

So lets put a different spin on this.

The claim his sacking was due to his comments about gays was just "CEO waging war via proxy of an easily manipulated mass"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is DRM?

Digital Restrictions Management is the practice of imposing technological restrictions that control what users can do with digital media. When a program is designed to prevent you from copying or sharing a song, reading an ebook on another device, or playing a single-player game without an Internet connection, you are being restricted by DRM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evil tech corps using convenient excuses to hide bad behavior. Good thing that healthcare corps would never do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy that runs that blog is a nasty piece of work. Not surprised Drew reads it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the "purging" narrative is broken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Of course not. Just like the climate change denial, the MO here is to throw a lot of shit (even if the shit is contradictory) and even if nothing ever sticks, everything will stink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
The guy that runs that blog is a nasty piece of work. Not surprised Drew reads it.

Yep - good job I looked at the URL before clicking it. It is the RHSD isn't it?

If people think Rich is grandstanding - the RHSD is a rape apologist, racist, sexist, homophobic, and also is a anti-vaxxer (and anti-lots of science).

See http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Theodore_Beale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rshipley wrote:

What blog?

Vox Day's blog? I don't read it. It was linked from another source I read. That's this cool thing about the internet is that they have these things called "links" and you can click on them and read stuff.

But is that really a valid response? "I disagree because I hate the blog you read?"
No I think it is "They disagree because they think the blog you read is full of shit?"

Why not link to the original source then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Vox Day's blog? I don't read it. It was linked from another source I read.

What's the other source? Weaselzippers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rshipley wrote:

What blog?

The one you posted a link to.

Quote:
Vox Day's blog? I don't read it. It was linked from another source I read. That's this cool thing about the internet is that they have these things called "links" and you can click on them and read stuff.

It is also easy enough to know the source of what you link. Credibility matters if I'm supposed to take some "link" on the internet seriously.

Quote:
But is that really a valid response? "I disagree because I hate the blog you read?"

I didn't say I disagreed. I don't know enough about it to say so and the blogger doesn't either. And even if he is right, his offensiveness undermines his point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I don't know what RHSD is. The link I provided went to a COMMENT on Vox Day's blog. But who cares? I liked the way the comment was worded. I quoted it. I linked back to the source. The point being made is valid.

I don't know what RHSD is either, but the wiki page is the right guy.

The comment was so vapid, I just figured it linked to the wrong place and read the post it was commenting on. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The point being made is valid.

The point you think is being made was already made in the original Eich thread. But you ignored it then because you were too busy being manipulated into railing against a "thought police" that turns out to be non-existent. Only when someone of the same ideology as you makes the same point will you suddenly listen to it and then it was your idea all along. Do you just accept everything you read on conspiracy blogs? How do you keep straight what you believe on any given day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Actually, the narrative now is "SOURCE INVALID! RAR! RAR! RAR!"

Do keep up. The narrative shifts with the winds.
Yes, becasue the internet equivalent of "some loud mouth down the pub" is always reliable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
So let me see if I can follow the narrative here.

What's your narrative? Is it the thought police or corporate greed? Oh, right it's whatever the conspiracy blogs tell you on any given day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

You can't. There is no "narrative" because the thread is made up of different people with different opinions. I know that's incomprehensible to someone who checks shitty blogs to see what he believes on a given day, but it's true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Original comment suggests that perhaps a corporate board used the "easily manipulated masses" to astroturf outrage in order to oust Brendan Eich so that Firefox could cave to the entertainment industry and add DRM.

Response: Duh! Of course that's what happened! But you linked to someone we're required to hate, so he must be wrong! But we actually agree with the person we're required to hate that of course it was a corporate power play. But we must not agree with hated person! That cannot be allowed to happen! Ideological crisis! Ideological crisis! Deflect! Deflect!

This is how Captain Kirk used to destroy rogue computers.
No

Original comment stated explicitly that perhaps a corporate board used the "easily manipulated masses" to astroturf outrage in order to oust Brendan Eich so that Firefox could cave to the entertainment industry and add DRM.

Response: Duh! Of course that's what happened! But you linked to someone who is not an authoritative source, just some gob shite, so he may be wrong! But we actually agree with the point that of course it was a corporate power play. But that does not mean we have to agree with all of his conclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
I don't know what RHSD is. The link I provided went to a COMMENT on Vox Day's blog. But who cares? I liked the way the comment was worded. I quoted it. I linked back to the source. The point being made is valid.

I don't know what RHSD is either, but the wiki page is the right guy.

The comment was so vapid, I just figured it linked to the wrong place and read the post it was commenting on. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry it is just in some of the circles I am present he is fairly universally known as RHSD (Racist, Homophobic, Sexist, Dipshit) due to the habit of him (or his "true believers") thread-crapping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I wonder what "Rational Wiki" would say about RSP?

"A bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes."

You're as much a part of RSP as anyone else, genius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you were wrong about Today's most important read - Mobzilla.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I wonder what "Rational Wiki" would say about RSP?

"A bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes."

|From the Conservative English dictionary

mindless
ˈmʌɪndləs/
adjective
adjective: mindless

acting or done without taking any notice of some loudmouth on the internet and with no concern for made up controversy.

not thinking of or concerned about what some bloke on the interment thinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
EDIT: Oh I see. This is "My fringe source is better than your fringe source." I love it when atheists try to assert they're better than everyone else by tacking the word "rational" onto their rants. laugh

Well rationalwiki may or may not be a fringe source BUT they do provide quotes (and links to the source). I think anyone who writes the kind of things that Day does is a nasty piece of work.

As to the Mozilla situation, and that there was a bit of a power struggle, well that has been well reported on. However to just assume one root cause is far too simplistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
EDIT: Wow, guys. That "Rational Wiki" site is really a steaming pile of hate. Thanks for telling me about it. Is there anyone who passes their purity test? Doesn't seem like it.

It depends on what the voices say on any given day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Here's the guy I quoted. Sounds like a Catholic. You might want to attack him.

Holy shit, here are quotes from that guy:

"There is simply no obligation to appreciate one’s sense of belonging to their community being gradually chipped away by the importation of smelly, loud foreigners."

"The immigration debate, in other words, is just a proxy for class war. The question is not so much whether immigrants shall get to enjoy the economic benefits of living among highly productive, highly corporate-minded, highly intelligent white people, but whether the Vaisyas shall get to keep their culture."

"The most succinct explanation of the state of this McDonald’s is that its employees were black. One really ought not to confuse the experience found at majority-white McDonald’s restaurants to those run by other populations."

"New York City remains my favorite city. It’s full of Jews. Even the Asians look Jewish. (Jews are a good foil. If you talk about the Jews, people on the left will tend to suspect you of being anti-Semitic. People on the right will tend to suspect you of being Semitophilic.)"

"Sans the dogma that women should make as much as men, there would be a wage gap and a lower female participation in the labor force. This is a good thing. There is such a thing as wages which are too high. A gender wage gap which strongly favors men disincentivizes women from pursuing careers, which in turn is their incentive to pursue husbands and a family life. Simultaneously, the lowered labor force participation rate would push wages higher, making it more feasible for a man to be a breadwinner. Instead of the best and brightest women being consigned to the dysgenic infertility of demanding careers, they would be having and raising smart and gifted children, helping to secure the eugenic future of civilization. Likewise, female college attendance would drop, allowing courses to be more rigorous, tuition and loan rates to fall, scarce postgraduate educational resources could be reserved for men more likely to have a higher labor value, rates of promiscuity on campuses would fall, and women’s studies wouldn’t have to exist to prop up the academic attainment of women who can’t cut it in STEM or even rigorous humanities majors. Women would have fewer delusions about their worth as marriage material, making them more attractive to men; men could more easily get a stable, family supporting career, increasing their own attractiveness to women as well. Rates of divorce would fall, which by extension means rates of child abuse would also fall. Equal pay makes everything worse for practically everyone in society."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb

I'm guessing its a +3 DRM to look like Google Chrome checks?

*baddabing!*

I can't be the ONLY wargamer reading this thread.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.