Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Keeling
United States
Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
$50 for early bird, $75 standard. Each also includes the Tomb Raiders card game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/thebes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-order now through KS!

I guess the critics have definitively won the argument, at least where Thebes is concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my all time favorites. My only wish is that it supported 5-6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Is this very much like Tokaido? They seem quite similar in gameplay/mechanics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Is this very much like Tokaido? They seem quite similar in gameplay/mechanics...

Not even close to Tokaido. No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctorwho wrote:
...and the game is sold regularly for 10-15 Euros in local shops here in Germany...

Been expensive to get in the US for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gregory
Australia
Mount Nelson
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brautigan25 wrote:

I guess the critics have definitively won the argument, at least where Thebes is concerned.

I think they won the argument months, even years ago. Kickstarter doesn't care. Time to move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kring
United States
Madison
Indiana
flag msg tools
brautigan25 wrote:

Elaborate, please? What argument?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
doctorwho wrote:
...and the game is sold regularly for 10-15 Euros in local shops here in Germany...

Which game? Thebes (Jenseits von Theben) - the board game, or Thebes: The Tomb Raiders (Jenseits von Theben: Das Kartenspiel – Die Grabräuber) - the card game?

Thebes used to sell for about $35 (25 Euros) from OLGS, $50 (35 Euros) from FLGS before it went out of print. Thebes: The Tomb Raiders sells for about $20 (15 Euros) from OLGS, $30 (22 Euros) from FLGS.

So I could easily see Thebes: The Tomb Raiders available for 10-15 Euros in Germany, but it is hard to believe that Thebes is that cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes the full board game is usually 35-30 euro on amazon.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piratemacfan wrote:
brautigan25 wrote:

People have all sorts of different opinions on what publishers "should" and "should not" be doing with Kickstarter. Is it for established companies that could afford to publish the game outright, or only for independents that can't think of any other way to get funds than by crowdsourcing? Is it only for games that might not see production, or can it be used as a preorder system for games that would probably be published anyway? And myriad others. Just go look at the Kickstarter forums here on BGG and you can join all kinds of arguments!

I think this particular one had something to do with the "Kickstarter is/is not for preorders!" argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:

So I could easily see Thebes: The Tomb Raiders available for 10-15 Euros in Germany, but it is hard to believe that Thebes is that cheap.

Actually this kind of thing happens reasonably often in Germany; hobby games are easy to obtain, and regular department stores such as Kaufhof and Karstadt typically have a fair to good selection. Games are discounted in much the same way as any other item in the store, sometimes more so - I've lost count of the number of €20+ Queen games that I've bought for €5 or less. These stores do not 'care' about games in the same way a FLGS does (though that is not to say that the departmental staff are not knowledgeable about games, especially educational ones) and more importantly for pricing decisions hobby games are far from being the financial lifeblood of the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad that I have the game already because I would not be using kickstarter to buy an established game. Then again, I don't use kickstarter to get any games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
piratemacfan wrote:
brautigan25 wrote:

People have all sorts of different opinions on what publishers "should" and "should not" be doing with Kickstarter. Is it for established companies that could afford to publish the game outright, or only for independents that can't think of any other way to get funds than by crowdsourcing? Is it only for games that might not see production, or can it be used as a preorder system for games that would probably be published anyway? And myriad others. Just go look at the Kickstarter forums here on BGG and you can join all kinds of arguments!

I think this particular one had something to do with the "Kickstarter is/is not for preorders!" argument.

I've Kickstarted plenty of games and been generally happy. I'm not a KS naysayer. Even for an established company such as Queen, it seems like a fine venue to raise funding for projects and minimize risk. I suppose there is some risk associated with funding a reprint, but it's like, I dunno, Queen isn't even pretending to fund anything special. Read the "Risks and Challenges" section on KS and they hardly even mention Thebes other than to say it's an established product and pretty much ready to go, so there should be quick turn around. They aren't even trying to justify a need for KS funds.

I'm not even sure I'm comfortable saying what KS is and isn't for, but it just feels like using it for pre-orders is lowering the bar somehow. If this is what people want, I guess this is what it will be, but that seems a little sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own Thebes, so I won't be backing this Kickstarter. BUT! I LOVE that Queen is using Kickstarter to reprint games!! Good way to find out if there's demand for a game.

Now, will a publisher PLEASE reprint the game Manila!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So is there any difference between this edition and the old one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have ideas for what they could do for stretch goals? Perhaps upgraded component quality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Anyone have ideas for what they could do for stretch goals? Perhaps upgraded component quality?

This project is going to be like the Fresco Big Box - no stretch goals. Instead, they are including an extra game and a great price.

If they had decided to do stretch goals, they could have done things like new artifacts, possibly a new map (there are plenty of archaeological sites in China and SE Asia, or the Americas could work too with the Mississippi River cultures, Aztecs, Olmecs, Mayans, and Incas)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coxy_fc wrote:
So is there any difference between this edition and the old one?

I'd heard they went to a full-size card instead of the tiny euro-cards in a later edition of the game, but I cannot confirm that is the case or will be the case for this edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

This project is going to be like the Fresco Big Box - no stretch goals. Instead, they are including an extra game and a great price.

Yeah, except the Big Box was a new product (not a new game, I know), which is what sort of makes me scratch my head about Thebes - not a lack of stretch goals.

Either way, glad Thebes is doing well, it's a great game and deserves to not go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gregory
Australia
Mount Nelson
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can offer as a comparison is Australia. Thebes and Thebes: Tomb Raider from a well-known online retailer with probably the best prices comes in at a pip over US$90 (not including postage). At my FLGS you can easily add on another US$20-$30.

For this Kickstarter, US$82 gets me both those games plus Maharanji edit: and with shipping covered. The only downside? I have to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the KS is not even cheaper than OLGS??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes 16 euros on Amazon but 40 euro to post to Australia as its not sold and shipped by Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jotajota31 wrote:
$50 for early bird, $75 standard. Each also includes the Tomb Raiders card game.

I really don't get that original "deal" Queen Games was offering. Did they seriously think after giving some people the games for 50$ in an early bird that people afterward would be willing to shell out 75$ for the exact same package? Really?

Now I get why I see so many negative posts about Queen Games these days.

Funny how they added a zillion new "early bird" levels later.

Early bird deals by established game companies are the absolute worst marketing idea ever, especially on a reprint of a popular game. People are going to buy your game anyway-- You're going to let some people have it at 33% off just because they saw it first? How do you think everyone else who sees your game after that is going to feel? They will feel like you are a lame publisher, that's what. Though the publisher added a ton of new "early bird" levels afterwards, that original deal stinks to high heaven and still leaves a bad impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gamezendo.com wrote:
jotajota31 wrote:

I really don't get that original "deal" Queen Games was offering. Did they seriously think after giving some people the games for 50$ in an early bird that people afterward would be willing to shell out 75$ for the exact same package? Really?

Now I get why I see so many negative posts about Queen Games these days.

Funny how they added a zillion new "early bird" levels later.

Early bird deals by established game companies are the absolute worst marketing idea ever, especially on a reprint of a popular game. People are going to buy your game anyway-- You're going to let some people have it at 33% off just because they saw it first? How do you think everyone else who sees your game after that is going to feel? They will feel like you are a lame publisher, that's what. Though the publisher added a ton of new "early bird" levels afterwards, that original deal stinks to high heaven and still leaves a bad impression.

I don't think they are expecting anyone to pay $75 for the games. It's all a basic marketing strategy. Once an "Early Bird" level is filled, they add another - oftentimes at a slightly higher price ($1 or $2 more) but occasionally at the same Early Bird price. Most people just take a peek at the project, see that it might cost $75 if they wait too long but will only cost fifty-something if they buy it right now. They might see other levels already filled and assume that the current cheapest level might be filled quickly if they don't take immediate action. If they haven't paid much attention to the project or to other projects by the same company, they probably won't realize that more and more of those "discounted" levels will be added on as necessary and they most likely will never be stuck with paying the non-discounted pledge level.

I see nothing wrong with this practice. The only people I feel bad for are the very few that do not pay attention and end up paying the non-discounted price when there are still discounted pledge levels available (for example - the one single $75 backer of Thebes with a $52 and 200+ $54 slots available and the three $85 backers of Escape Big Box with 100+ $75 slots available)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.