Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of this game through a math trade, and I'm very happy with having gotten it, but I'm confused by the endgame conditions.

The rules state that the game ends at the end of the round during which
-either a player claimed a victory point in Brundisium
-or the construction of the Via Appia is completed.

Is the road complete when it reaches Brundisium, or is there a different condition I'm missing? It seems that if the road is complete once the end city is reached, then claiming VP can't happen to end the game. I feel like I must be missing something...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymike7 wrote:
I just got a copy of this game through a math trade, and I'm very happy with having gotten it, but I'm confused by the endgame conditions.

The rules state that the game ends at the end of the round during which
-either a player claimed a victory point in Brundisium
-or the construction of the Via Appia is completed.

Is the road complete when it reaches Brundisium, or is there a different condition I'm missing? It seems that if the road is complete once the end city is reached, then claiming VP can't happen to end the game. I feel like I must be missing something...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I think the second condition means that every spot on the road has been built. The German rules give that condition as "when . . . the Via Appia is completely built," which suggests that interpretation is more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, thanks. It seems that would be a very rare occurrence, but I suppose it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually these two things happen regularly. As the game nears an end, some try to race to the last city to close the game hopefully in front, while others choose to try and build all the missing bits of the road as they give lots of points and gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm going to try to convince my sweetie to playtest it tonight and see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Feldkoetter
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Mike,

do not forget to finish the last round, when one of the endgame conditions occurs, so that every player has the same amount of turns.

In some games there will be even both endgame conditions fulfilled, e.g. when one player places the last road tile and completes the Via Appia and a following player reaches Brundisium with his last move in that round (or other way round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Michael, it's wonderful to have the game's designer chime in! My fiancee and I are really enjoying the game and I can't wait to get it to the table with my gaming group. It's funny to have you post now, as I was just getting ready to submit the text below:

It turns out that my confusion was based on a misreading of the rules, where I missed the part about having to complete a road section before being able to lay two tiles on a turn in the next section. Ignoring that rule, the game seemed like much more of a straight race to the finish. With the rule in place, the quarry gets much more use and the strategic choices increase, and I appreciate the game much more. Now if I can only teach it to my almost-6yo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Feldkoetter
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
You are welcome, Mike!

Then enjoy the game with family and friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.