Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had trouble figuring out the timing of the Marked for Death cards.
At one point we had one player trying to play one on the active player, but the active player complaining that he should have priority to play the same card on himself. Since we couldn't find anything about timing, we let them roll a die for it and the active player got to play it on himself which let him choose which character died instead of his opponent. This allowed him to lose (early on) a character that already had a couple of loot on it rather than one that was not loaded up yet.

I found it a bit annoying that characters can play Marked for Death on themselves. It kind of defeats the purpose of the card, especially with so many in the deck to play. At one point I had 3 Marked for death in my hand of five cards. I can understand why you would want to resurrect your own characters early on, and resurrect your opponent's characters later when they are wanting them to die, but I don't see why you would want to nullify a cool game mechanic by allowing people to Mark for Death their own dudes.

Also a timing question there on Resurrect as well. Is it just who throws the card down first? You could say that the last card played is the one that takes effect like I've seen in some other card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lamont
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb

Hi Ian!

In both cases it's down to whoever manages to get the card down first, the active player doesn't get priority over anyone else.

We realise occasionally this may cause conflict but that's fine and in the spirit of the game. A quick dice roll is a fine way to settle the argument!

As to why we made the decision to allow players to use Deadly cards on themselves. We wanted as many of the cards in the Fate deck as possible to have a dual use, one positive and one negative, and we found in general it added more interesting decisions throughout the different phases. Although I can imagine if all the Deadly cards are in your hand it would throw the balance a little!

One thing we noted with the game when play-testing is that every game was drastically different (with it being inherently massively random). After multiple play-through's players began to develop unique and interesting tactics for using the different Fate cards. Hopefully next time you wont get stuck with a hand full of Deadly cards!

If there's anything else we can help you with give us a shout

-Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ... I kind of figured it was whoever threw the card down first. I will give the game a few more plays before I try anything different.

It still seems wrong to me to choose which of your guys is going to die in the first half of the game, but maybe more plays will convince me otherwise.

Thanks for the quick response.

By the way - what was the intent for the black token sheet? I haven't seen that question addressed yet in the KS comments, but maybe I just missed it.

Was there supposed to be art on those big black hex tokens and it was just goofed up or where they supposed to be solid black ... and if so ... why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lamont
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
No problem!

We have found being able play Deadly cards on yourself comes in really handy in the later half too, killing off your highest scoring Adventurers. In the first half its usually better to play them on your opponents to stop Adventurers getting a high score or killing off one that only has Fail on them.

But as mentioned each game will be pretty different so keep us updated on your future games! We would love to collate peoples house rules and create a FAQ once everyone's had a little time with game.

Also with the size of the Fate deck it seems you were unlucky in drawing so many so I can completely see why you would feel that way about it.

In regards to the giant black tokens: It seems the manufacturers used an old die (making new dies to cut tokens is apparently expensive)and unfortunately we weren't made aware of what this would look like otherwise we might of found a use for them. Does your sheet contain the Epic Death! tokens in the centre?

On the plus side you have some free giant black tokens!

-Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a sheet with some epic death skull art tokens in the center, with a few small blank black tokens along he edges, and then a whole nother sheet with mixed small and large hex tokens that are all completely black ... it was very puzzling.

Maybe when I create my Metallica Black Album boardgame I can find a use for all those extra black tokens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lamont
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Ah, yeah, that's definitely not meant to be in there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops - I went back and looked again and I was wrong - it was just the one sheet, with a bunch of extra blanks on that sheet of larger size.
Now I understand - just had a die cutter that was set to cut out extra blanks - no problem, just made everybody wonder what they were for.

If you had known you were going to be getting all those extra blanks you could have just put the skull art on all of them without much extra cost i'm guessing. The best thing would have been to make larger skull tokens that would have filled up the sheet, but I guess money was being saved by someone somewhere in the process by using an existing die cutter from some previous game.

Also I carefully unstuck the tuckboxes that were stuck together with no harm done and now they are working perfectly. I like them. I haven't checked to see how the cards fit if sleeved yet.

As for the Banshee card - I thought it was going to have the wrong back or be horribly misprinted or something. It just has a little bit of the border wrong on one side - that doesn't make much difference to me, not sure why people are so worried about that part. I may never have noticed the printing issue if I wasn't looking for it.

The extra deck of wasted advertisement cards makes me sad. That could have been extra copies of any of the other cards. At the very least you could have used them as Epic Death markers. The one card that advertises Epic Death could easily be thrown down on a dead adventurer to mark him instead of a skull token. If all the wasted cards were just adds for Epic Death instead of all those other games, I could at least use the cards for markers instead of the tokens. As it is they all went into the trash. I can't believe that didn't add to someone's cost at some point in the chain.

On the plus side - I just noticed the skulls for the dead heroes are unique to each character's race/head shape. Nice touch!

Once GS gets me my missing 10 dice I will be pretty happy with the game.

(I think 20 dice would be better than 16, judging from how many we rolled in the first game at different times, and I wish they were 12mm instead of 16mm - just easier to hold in your hand and roll when you are rolling 20 dice, but I do like the color choice of purple and gold)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lamont
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
We really wish we had known there would be some extra massive tokens on the sheet. We could of found something to do with them! Unfortunately we didn't see it until you guys did.

The tuck-boxes are a nice touch and something that Game Salute added in. It's a shame they are all stuck together, but it's still a nice unexpected addition to the game to keep all those cards in good condition!

We aren't sure what happened with the banshee card (maybe something we missed on the digital proofs) or possibly a printing error, but we are glad it isn't too intrusive.

The deck of adverts makes us sad too. Again, if we had of known there was going to be a whole deck of them we would of found a use for the extra cards .

We agree, with Epic Death! the more dice the better! also we did specify 12 mm but it seems Game Salute wanted to make them bigger.

We (Waits in Graves) have learned allot from this first game/publishing deal though and you can guarantee our next game will benefit from the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waits in graves wrote:

Hi Ian!

In both cases it's down to whoever manages to get the card down first, the active player doesn't get priority over anyone else.

We realise occasionally this may cause conflict but that's fine and in the spirit of the game. A quick dice roll is a fine way to settle the argument!

As to why we made the decision to allow players to use Deadly cards on themselves. We wanted as many of the cards in the Fate deck as possible to have a dual use, one positive and one negative, and we found in general it added more interesting decisions throughout the different phases. Although I can imagine if all the Deadly cards are in your hand it would throw the balance a little!

One thing we noted with the game when play-testing is that every game was drastically different (with it being inherently massively random). After multiple play-through's players began to develop unique and interesting tactics for using the different Fate cards. Hopefully next time you wont get stuck with a hand full of Deadly cards!

If there's anything else we can help you with give us a shout

-Sam

I was aware of this post prior to my first play and so we played it this way, and with all due respect everyone at the table HATED the slapjack mentality that this introduces. After a few games, we decided on a priority system. Priority begins with the person to the active players left. We also allowed multiple resurrect and marked for death cards to be played, but only one would actually activate if conditions were met. When multiples of these cards were out, we randomly determined which one did it's thing. This DRASTICALLY improved the game, and while we had fun before this house rule, the fun was completed unabated after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.