Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys and gals,
Having my big 40 party tonight and got in both one night werewolf and UW.

Just have a couple of questions and also would like any general pointers to making this fun for first time gamers alike.

Trouble Maker: this role has the full moon meaning it is woken up each night but only can user her power once per game.. Does she get woken up at night asked if she wants to cause trouble then go back to sleep? After that she is no longer woken up?

Masons: Masons know who other masons are.. Can anyone explain the use of these guys..

Would you recommend not using other roles for the first game or couple of games? or just jump right in?

Any good atmosphere music that you recommend?

Thanks as always

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
sasigns wrote:

Trouble Maker: this role has the full moon meaning it is woken up each night but only can user her power once per game.. Does she get woken up at night asked if she wants to cause trouble then go back to sleep? After that she is no longer woken up?

Wake them up...

once they use their power, there is no point in waking them up... The village Knows the Troublemaker stirred by virtue of conducting two lynching....

Quote:

Masons: Masons know who other masons are.. Can anyone explain the use of these guys..

DO NOT play with these unless you want to strictly enforce the penalty of death... With new players that bullshit a lot.. Not a good Idea.

Their use is simple to VERIFY to other MASONS(villagers) that the other Masons are NOT wolves. HOWEVER, they may not in ANY way insinuate they or ANY other player may or may not be a Mason. The penalty for ANY one maentionsing MASONs is death. (Kill them all at night, the next morning the village wakes up with a number of dead/missing people. ) It's a SECRET SOCIETY... TREAT it as such.. You don't go blabbing telling people what group you belong to.

Quote:

Would you recommend not using other roles for the first game or couple of games? or just jump right in?

Hunter is simple, a lot of roles complement each other or confuse the village.. if you like a lot of misdirection (like me) Tough guy (passive power) Lycan (passive power, but don't let them say they are a Lycan) Read the roles... most are good.

[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Yasi
United States
Tewksbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My $.02 for your first few UW games, especially if you'll be dealing with casual (or non-) gamers.

- Correct re: Troublemaker.
- Re: Masons. They're only useful in the sense that they know each other is NOT a Werewolf, which whittles down their pool of suspected wolves and creates an increasingly powerful voting block over time. However, I agree with Stephen; if you plan on using them with the strict caveats mentioned in the rules, I wouldn't bother. WAAAY too much of a headache with so many new players.
- Also agreed re: Hunter. A great role that players love, with no added overhead for the moderator.
- Other good "special" roles that can be used from the first game and which don't bog things down by having to call them every Night: Mayor, Wolf Cub.
- Definitely do full role reveal upon death for your first few games.
- Assuming things go well in your first couple of games, try to work in the Bodyguard.
- Next level would be some combo of Lycan/Wolfman so that you don't have a foolproof Seer. If you have a bigger group, toss in a Lone Wolf to add some paranoia on the wolf side. When adding any of these roles, however, tell the players that they MAY be in the game, and have extra Villager or Werewolf cards ready to slip into the game in their place if you elect not to use them.
- The most important advice of all is to let players know how important it is to add to the discussion and NOT to automatically jump on the people who are the most talkative! As soon as players get the idea that they'll survive as long as they keep quiet, you'll have a very awkward and very dull game on your hands. Don't be afraid to call out the quietest ones and ask them to speak, and in general do what you can to convince everyone that silence is a bad thing. A good tactic here is to remind players that if they aren't adding to the discussion, they aren't helping the village ferret out the wolves, and if they aren't bring useful to the village's cause, there's no real reason to keep them around, is there? I really can't stress this enough.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mint Vision
msg tools
geddy19 wrote:
My $.02 for your first few UW games, especially if you'll be dealing with casual (or non-) gamers.

- The most important advice of all is to let players know how important it is to add to the discussion and NOT to automatically jump on the people who are the most talkative! As soon as players get the idea that they'll survive as long as they keep quiet, you'll have a very awkward and very dull game on your hands. Don't be afraid to call out the quietest ones and ask them to speak, and in general do what you can to convince everyone that silence is a bad thing. A good tactic here is to remind players that if they aren't adding to the discussion, they aren't helping the village ferret out the wolves, and if they aren't bring useful to the village's cause, there's no real reason to keep them around, is there? I really can't stress this enough.

Good luck!

Amen!
If things stay quiet and the one or two vocal players get lynched/killed things can get dull fast. Especially dealing with board game groups, they're not the most talkative bunch to begin with so you really gotta push the discussion. The more talking the more things come into the... light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.