Michael Foster
United States
Jacksonville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

While we all eagerly await the new expansions and the surprises they'll bring, I thought we could share some ideas we may have for units that aren't currently in the game. I'll start it off with an idea I got from this Warhammer invasion card:

Nordland Halberdiers
Size: Small
Speed: 5
Strength: 4
Counter Strength: 4
Toughness: 4
Infantry
During the turn that this unit is Reinforced or Rallied, it gains 2(Strength) and 2(Toughness).
Cost: 8 Points

In this case, "Rallied" would mean either by the Command Card or by Karl Franz's focus ability.

This unit could be used in a couple of ways. It could be reinforced from off the table using the Command Card, "Garrison", to bring some much needed help to a weak spot along your line, or it could be Rallied while already on the battlefield to deliver a powerful offensive punch to your enemy.

Pros
During the turn it was Reinforced or Rallied, this unit would have enough Strength to wound any non-Empire unit currently in the game, while having enough Toughness to withstand any one (not empowered) unit's Counter Strength.

Cons
This unit would have to have a command deck built around it. Taking "Garrison" and "Rally" would be recommended, which would mean having two two-activation "Slow" cards in your command deck. Also, this would turn into a fairly pedestrian unit during turns when it has not been reinforced or rallied.

Final Thoughts

So there ya have it. I'm not sure how terribly effective this unit would actually be, but I think it fits into the Empire army's general scheme, and it could really put a hurting on enemy Heros and units like the Bloodthirster. Finally, I really like the artwork on that card, and I hope FFG finds a way to use it somehow. laugh

I'd love to see any ideas you guys may have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like where your thoughts are on this, but I think the unit would be too powerful for the point cost listed.

By Rallied, do you just mean that they have their activation removed by a game effect? In a Karl Franz army, that would mean you could have 2-3 of these bad-boys running around from turn one at 6 toughness, which iirc is the highest in the game currently, and he would be a beast when empowered. I think what you have here, in terms of rules, would fit much better on a hero. Even then, he might be one of the best hero's in the game, at the moment. Although, he doesn't have Frenzy, to really make use of those monster stats, so maybe that moderates things a bit.

I might do something like this:

Speed: 4
Strength: 3

Slow attack
Swift Counter attack
Keyword, Guard 2
Either: When empowered, gains Guard 3.
Or: Gaurd 4 v. Cavalry
(not sure what makes the most sense/or is most useful.)

Halberds are generally a defensive weapon, best used against cavalry, and other pole-arms, and I think the guard keyword better represents that. This build still allows him to provide a battlefield control role in the Empire army. He can be used to stop up choke points on the board, or provide cover for squishier units, but isn't going to be competing with Blood Thirsters for strength and toughness, which I don't really think any mortal man on two feet should be able to do, but it still makes him a scary unit for the Thirster to pin, since even his base stats would wound the Thirster before the Thirster could fight back, without giving him the ability to win a sustained combat.

I'll leave the points value up in the air. I haven't put a lot of thought into building units, so I haven't paid that much attention to how FFG comes up with disk costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I think that using guard would work better as a replacement to swift counter than in addition.

If reinforcement is supposed to be their shtick, perhaps you could give them flank 'when reinforced, put an empower token on them' (let the players figure out how to take advantage of it before it expires).

So maybe just:
###################

Flank, Guard 2 (cavalry take double damage from guard)
When reinforced, gains an empower token.
I'd probably have them only cost 6 or 7. Probably 7 because of the bling.

As for the topic in general, there's a lot of units that could be made but I generally find that it loses it's appeal if you never get to test them out. I have many re-purposed disks from the original including a couple complete factions but they don't see a lot of play so I don't particularly want to make more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Velensk wrote:
I think that using guard would work better as a replacement to swift counter than in addition.

If reinforcement is supposed to be their shtick, perhaps you could give them flank 'when reinforced, put an empower token on them' (let the players figure out how to take advantage of it before it expires).

So maybe just:
###################

Flank, Guard 2 (cavalry take double damage from guard)
When reinforced, gains an empower token.
I'd probably have them only cost 6 or 7. Probably 7 because of the bling.

As for the topic in general, there's a lot of units that could be made but I generally find that it loses it's appeal if you never get to test them out. I have many re-purposed disks from the original including a couple complete factions but they don't see a lot of play so I don't particularly want to make more.

I think your build makes good sense.

I generally avoid this sort of thing myself. Mostly because I'm not a game designer, even at the hobby level, and I think a lot of playtesting goes into developing something that doesn't break the game. I find most fan made disks(cards, units, whatever) seem to be very broken.

But, I'm more excited about this game than I have been many others, and I'm getting to play it more. So, I figured, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.