Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If i were to buy one and only 1, should i start with zombicide season 1 or skip it and buy season 2 prison outbreak. Basically which is a better stand alone game to buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you get season 2 and get the tile set for season 1, then you will have the best of both worlds. Majority here will suggest you to get season 1 since it's less complex, but honestly speaking the game is not that complicated at all so I'm sure most players can handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, as well as Toxic City Mall, Companion Dogs, Zombie Dogz, all the Box of Zombie sets, promos, and Guest Artist boxes, and if I had to give it all up except for one box, the one I'd keep would be Season 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QueenOfAll wrote:
Majority here will suggest you to get season 1 since it's less complex, but honestly speaking the game is not that complicated at all so I'm sure most players can handle it.

It's not the complexity of Season 2 that makes me recommend Season 1, it's the simplified streamlined nature of Season 1, and the way everything just works together beautifully.

I can not say the same thing about Season 2, as great as much of it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
QueenOfAll wrote:
Majority here will suggest you to get season 1 since it's less complex, but honestly speaking the game is not that complicated at all so I'm sure most players can handle it.

It's not the complexity of Season 2 that makes me recommend Season 1, it's the simplified streamlined nature of Season 1, and the way everything just works together beautifully.

I'm a relatively new player and I'm pretty happy with S2 with S1 tile set. S2 is less streamlined indeed, because those complexity is added on on top of what season 1 provides, which means S2 with S1 tiles set can do what S1 does (just don't play with those fluffs) but the other way is not true.

The only difference is S2 has 10 plus fewer regular zombies but has berserk ones which S1 does not have. All the tokens from S1 is in S2, and more. You can play every mission with S1 tile set. The items are slightly different but no equipment is necessary and again you can find the counterparts of S1 items in S2 as well, and more.

With all due respect, I don't really see the "beautiful flow" (not referring to you Scott, I'm just stating my opinions in general. I know we are both trying to help.) in S1. Yes most of the missions were designed with S1 in mind, but the game itself is a sandbox game and absolutely NOT balanced. From the box 2 of the 10 missions are already broken, a few characters are totally overpowered compared to the rest, but people don't care since it's a game about fun. So the so-called elegance of S1 doesn't exist in the first place.

But of course if the OP ONLY wants 1 base set and will never add on anything else then I would agree with Scott. Just get S1 alone. However if there is any possibility the OP intends to add on anything in the future, then I would say get S2 with S1 tile set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QueenOfAll wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
QueenOfAll wrote:

I'm a relatively new player and I'm pretty happy with S2 with S1 tile set. S2 is less streamlined indeed, because those complexity is added on on top of what season 1 provides, which means S2 with S1 tiles set can do what S1 does (just don't play with those fluffs) but the other way is not true.

S1 with S2 tiles and an Angry Zombies box can do everything S2 does though.

However, my favourite analogy for playing S1 scenarios with S2 and S1 tiles is eating Spaghetti with Carbonara sauce.

It will taste nice (you'll have fun), but it won't be Spaghetti Bolognese (the true S1 experience).

QueenOfAll wrote:
The only difference is S2 has 10 plus fewer regular zombies but has berserk ones which S1 does not have. All the tokens from S1 is in S2, and more. You can play every mission with S1 tile set. The items are slightly different but no equipment is necessary and again you can find the counterparts of S1 items in S2 as well, and more.

The items in S2 are quite different.

I've not had time to do a full stats break down, but my overall impression is that the S2 weapons are significantly more powerful than those in S1.

They also seem far more weighted toward Melee, rather than Ranged, attacks, which is understandable given that the S2 equipment deck will have been designed with Beserkers in mind.

These two points alone would make playing S1 scenarios with S2 equipment somewhat easier.

However, on top of that, and again I've not had time to analyse it properly, but it is my impression that the S2 Survivors are more suited to handling the greater threat presented by the Beserker Zombies in S2.

And, though you have fewer Standard Zombies, the greater Zombie-death-dealing abilities of the Survivors and Weapons means that you're almost certainly less likely to run out and get reactivations, even without proxying the missing Standard Zombies with Beserkers (and if you do do that, unless you're careful to leave out 6 Walkers, 2 Fatties, and 4 Runners, you end up with a greater number of Zombies than in S1 and therefore even less chance of running out).

None of this means you'll have a bad game, but it does distort the experience you get from the Season 1 scenarios (including all the downloadable scenarios that were created before anything was known about S2).

QueenOfAll wrote:
With all due respect, I don't really see the "beautiful flow" (not referring to you Scott, I'm just stating my opinions in general. I know we are both trying to help.) in S1. Yes most of the missions were designed with S1 in mind, but the game itself is a sandbox game and absolutely NOT balanced. From the box 2 of the 10 missions are already broken, a few characters are totally overpowered compared to the rest, but people don't care since it's a game about fun. So the so-called elegance of S1 doesn't exist in the first place.

I absolutely disagree.

It's not about 2 scenarios, or a few of the characters, that seem over-powered in certain circumstances. It's the way all the components fit together.

The spawn deck, the equipment, the quantity of each type of Zombie, and the skills of all the Survivors, all combine to provide an experience in which, for all but a couple of scenarios, you're never more than a handful of bad dice rolls, poor tactical choices, and unlucky card draws, away from certain death at the hands, and teeth, of a ravenous hoard of zombies.

In the (admittedly few) scenarios I've played I've yet to get that feel, or that experience, from S2.

That's not to say it's not possible to get that from S2, just it feels more forced, and cobbled together.

QueenOfAll wrote:
But of course if the OP ONLY wants 1 base set and will never add on anything else then I would agree with Scott. Just get S1 alone. However if there is any possibility the OP intends to add on anything in the future, then I would say get S2 with S1 tile set.

Perhaps, I am misreading it, but it seems to me, from "If i were to buy one and only 1", that 1 base set is precisely what the OP does want.

But even if I am wrong on that point, I'd still recommend S1 as the starting point for all the reasons I gave above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
How big of a hurry are you in? Season 3 is right around the corner...

Personally I bought season 2 + season 1 tiles and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.