Hide
11 Posts

Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters» Forums » General

Subject: The Interceptor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dev Loxly
msg tools
I just picked up my copy of P&BH. I also just noticed that the Interceptor can only have 2 Ship Upgrades.

I didn't see anyone mention that.

Or did I just miss that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's been mentioned once or twice. Also of note: each Upgrade reduces range by one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early is awesome, after playing his ship, not so much. You need the upgrades, so 1 extra speed at the cost of crew and cargo is just not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Early is awesome, after playing his ship, not so much. You need the upgrades, so 1 extra speed at the cost of crew and cargo is just not worth it.

On the face of it, I would agree. But a number of people on this forum have reported winning with the interceptor (even without Early)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really comes down to the story card/game type. In a PvP game, it can do mightily well off of bounty-hunting or piracy, being able to cover great distances for shopping and attacking.

In other games, a different strategy might be required but there's usually some flexibility. Niska's Holiday is interesting because you can use piracy jobs to fulfill the goal needs and set back other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

On the face of it, I would agree. But a number of people on this forum have reported winning with the interceptor (even without Early)

I didn't say you couldn't win with it. It's still a handicap right from the get go. That 8 speed is pretty useless. We played a game last night, I think I moved my full distance once. /shrugs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rhys
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if the distance allowed isn't as beneficial as you had hoped, I've found that the no-fuel-needed is a great bonus, does that not sweeten it up at all for you guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its more difficult to play, but it is an awesome ship. And yes it does matter what scenario one is playing, thats why i for one like that you choose ships before deciding on what scenario to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben H
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
After one game my friends think it is too good. I played it with one of the new missions, where you break your friend out of prison. With Early I did no piracy jobs/showdowns but the No fuel cost and range was amazing. I tried to explain how much the ship loses but we just used fireflies in our next game.

Edit: I think it's ok, would need more games to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
I have mixed feelings about it. It can be very strong, and it can excel at hitting other players. It can also fail utterly.

They need to connect these forums better; I made a long post on it here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1178317/the-other-ships-inte...

And I have played the ship about half my games over the last month.

On top of the old post... to address the comments here...
- losing 2 range for ship upgrades STILL leaves you with a 6 range(better than standard firefly) with no fuel to burn. This is very nice. If one of your upgrades is crew space, its as good or better (faster, no fuel, bigger crew) than a standard firefly at everything except selling off windfall excess contra/cargo. So its not a great build for mal /transport/skyhook/crime approaches.

- "only 2 upgrades" is not a big concern. Its rare to buy 3 upgrades anyway; usually I have 1 on a typical firefly, 2 if I got a skyhook. Only time I had 3, I won it from the salvage op.

I agree that you rarely use the full range and that giving up both crew and space to get a rarely used advantage makes it poorish. It makes the 'luck factor' of the game even more significant --- *if* you can get the right crew, gear, and upgrades, it can be insanely powerful for any story card, and extra insane for piracy. If you cannot find the cards you need, it is hopeless. For the most part, again over many games (over 10 with this ship) I have been able to make it work and at least have a chance at winning the games. Trouble is that in at least half of those, I had to struggle harder than I would have in a standard ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hitchens
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I'm still not sure about that ship. What kills this ship for me is the low crew limit. The game mechanics pretty much require a large and strong crew to be successful at boarding (which I think this ship is mostly meant to do), and to alleviate those shortcomings you'll have to upgrade your ship which in turn makes it slower and thus minimizing the only real benefit this ship has -> Speed.
Sure, no fuel for full burn is nice but fuel is hardly expensive and only takes up a small part in the cargo hold of a bigger ship.
So what's the point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.