Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/16/agriculture-...

Someone at work (a rather conservative-leaning fellow) sent me a link to this story from some right-wing blog. I was semi-intrigued, but couldn't find a major news source reporting it until this one. It appears to be true. If so, what the hell is the US Department of Agriculture doing requisitioning both body armor, and .40 caliber S&W submachine guns with 30 round magazines? And why did the Department of Agriculture buy 320,000 rounds of ammunition earlier this year? I can get Homeland Security buying ammo, and even (barely) the Postal Service, but Agriculture?

Does anyone here have knowledge of Agriculture's activities and responsibilities, and if so, do any of them require their employees to be heavily armed and armored??? Who are they expecting to fight??? On the surface of it, if this story is accurate, I have to admit I find this puzzling and, yes, troubling.

Here is the opening paragraph, for those who don't follow the link above...

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has put in an acquisition request to buy body armor — specifically, “ballistic vests, compliant with NIJ 0101.06 for Level IIIA Ballistic Resistance of body armor,” the solicitation stated.

The request was put in writing and posted on May 7 — just a few days before the same agency sought “the commercial acquisition of submachine guns” equipped for 30-round magazines, Breitbart reported.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it is in response to Cliven Bundy. If the USDA is in charge of enforcing agriculture laws, and we are seeing instances of armed resistance by ranchers, it isn't a big surprise to me that they need to prepare for crazies with guns in the wilderness.

EDIT: Looks like the forest service falls under the USDA, so yeah, armed park rangers too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that makes some sense (Forest Service). Dang, it's a hell of a thing seeing so many of our Federal institutions becoming militarized. I was in DC a month ago meeting with the staffs of several of our elected officials and when I went to lunch in one of the government cafeterias, I was somewhat taken aback by the plethora of uniformed and armed personnel present. I'm former military myself, but I didn't recognize half of the uniforms I saw there, and I just thought to myself that I didn't remember DC looking nearly so militarized when I lived there some 20 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a bit of searching, and can't find the solicitation on the "usual" web sites (GSA, FBO, etc.). I wish they would link to it in the story because it has to be public record. But they do have law enforcement authority on some matters and body armor for that wouldn't be out-of-bounds. They also don't provide a lot of detail. Is this 50 sets? 10? 1,000?

Federal agents deal with people who have guns. I don't have any issue with them being shielded from some damage, and would think nobody else would, either. They can cite some specifics if they want me to worry about how they're militarizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have 737 law enforcement personnel (Wikipedia), so.... Some are thinking of moving USFS to Interior, with the National Park Service, the Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Bureau of Land Management. Seems to make sense from my perspective; USFS needs Ag's research, but so do NPS & BLM.

With the US population becoming more militarized and (arguably superficially anarchist).... (The old call was "States' Rights"; the new call seems like "All gov't at any level is bad".)

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
They have 737 law enforcement personnel (Wikipedia), so.... Some are thinking of moving USFS to Interior, with the National Park Service, the Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Bureau of Land Management. Seems to make sense from my perspective; USFS needs Ag's research, but so do NPS & BLM.

With the US population becoming more militarized and (arguably superficially anarchist).... (The old call was "States' Rights"; the new call seems like "All gov't at any level is bad".)

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

For body armor, it looks like we're talking second chance vests that go on under the uniform. Nothing out of the ordinary there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
For body armor, it looks like we're talking second chance vests that go on under the uniform. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Honestly, I didn't look at the article. I just know we (CA) have a huge amount of USFS (and BLM) land surrounding our national parks and monuments. USFS is the primary LEO in those areas, so as you say, nothing out of the ordinary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what kind of soldiers serve in the Dept of Agriculture's militarized branch?

Kernels.

Aaron, that one was for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Kernels.

You are A maizing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this was a country that did not have wankers like the Bundy Bunch I would agree this makes no sense. But if I was in a job where I could expect to get shot at by someone in the performance of my duty I would expect protection (assuming this is true).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yogi Bear and Boo Boo had better watch out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9fc3a01..., so yes it looks like they are looking at options to buy either hand duns or SMG's (with 2 round burst?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Kernels.

You are A maizing!

Hey, that joke wasn't half bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Kernels.

You are A maizing!

Hey, that joke wasn't half bad!

It was all bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you guys knew that the Department of Agriculture is going to become Monsanto's military arm. Are there any seeds in your property that were not bought from agribusiness? I hope you like the smell of napalm in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
GameCrossing wrote:

Kernels.

It's in the couch cushions somewhere, dude. Keep digging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Kernels.

It's in the couch cushions somewhere, dude. Keep digging.

Now you're just being silly. That line was lifted straight from The Tick. And if you are trying to tell me that The Tick ain't funny, then there is such thing as funny, and we can start discussing the post-funnyism world in which we live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Now you're just being silly. That line was lifted straight from The Tick. And if you are trying to tell me that The Tick ain't funny, then there is such thing as funny, and we can start discussing the post-funnyism world in which we live.

This post is just dripping with what's wrong with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

This post is just dripping with what's wrong with you.

I'm gonna go with "unable to stay away from the keyboard even in the throes of sleep deprivation based on a two-year-old's six a.m. wakeup call of 'pops... sun up.... daytime....'."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I'm gonna go with "unable to stay away from the keyboard even in the throes of sleep deprivation based on a two-year-old's six a.m. wakeup call of 'pops... sun up.... daytime....'."

Saying you were drunk outta your gourd would have been more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.