10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendation- 3 people, miniatures, intermediate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Burkot
msg tools
Hi,
Wanted to get some help finding a game for my play group. Like the subject says the game would be typically played with between 3-4 players, sometimes 2 but that would be rare. Now my friends really prefer games that have miniatures in them like the ones from fantasy flight games. They mostly have played axis in allies in the past. I tried getting them into Rune Wars but I think it was a little too advanced for them at the time and went over their head. They also like the DC deck building game but we found it to be unbalanced card wise. My main issue is I don't want more of what we already have. Like Risk Legacy for example is very good from what I've heard but it looks likes another Axis and Allies to me and Ascension looks like another DC deck builder. They also are not big fans of cooperative games. They like war games or the feeling of gaining territories etc. Any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated! I know it's oddly specific and complicated but thank you for all the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Hi there, I happened to be researching on similar requirements as yours and ended up with these:

Wiz-War (eighth edition) - very much a card based game but the modular board with wizards miniatures are cool.

Nexus Ops - lots of minis, but not sure if it falls under 'more of the same' for you.

VOLT: Robot Battle Arena - as the title implies, each player controls a robot in close quarter arena combat.

Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I think you should give Runewars another go. It really is amazing. Just read the rulebook, watch a video and try to play by yourself to get a handle on the rules so you can teach it easily.

Let's see:
1) No Coop
2) Lots of minis
3) Not as hard as Runewars
4) Plays 4

Try Chaos in the Old World. That game is sure to go over well and it's not hard to figure out.

If you want a 4x strategy game, check out Clash of Cultures. It might be a little tough but a lot of the rules make sense. It's certainly not as difficult as Runewars.

Kemet would go over well with your group, I think.

Nexus Op is very simple and lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Burkot
msg tools
Thanks for the quick recommendations so late at night! right now Kemet and Nexus Ops look really good. Especially Kemet. I also found Middle Earth Quest. Does anyone have any experience with this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
angrybanana639 wrote:
[...] Middle Earth Quest. Does anyone have any experience with this game?

This is such an amazing, thematic adventure game, our group loves it! If you have the chance to buy, I would do so.
It does take about 3 hours with 3-4 players the first times you play it.
The asymmetry allows for a very different experience on both sides. If you like the LotR theme, buy this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this would be something you'd be interested in or not, but Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game is pretty good. It's a team versus team game, so while two people would be cooperating as the survivors, the third would control the zombies. It has minis and a modular board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff hutton
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse comes with minis. A space 4x game

You can also add the ship expansion pack if you want more minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
. . . do not get Eclipse. It is not a miniatures game with confrontation, it's a cube pushing resource collecting game that happens to be set in space. I own and enjoy the game but it's not what you're looking for.

More recommendations with a sort of Risk dudes on a map killing shit and taking over shit feel:

Dust
Warrior Knights
Fortress America

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff hutton
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
. . . do not get Eclipse. It is not a miniatures game with confrontation, it's a cube pushing resource collecting game that happens to be set in space. I own and enjoy the game but it's not what you're looking for.

More recommendations with a sort of Risk dudes on a map killing shit and taking over shit feel:

Dust
Warrior Knights
Fortress America

How do you know it is or is not what op is looking for? I am not saying Eclipse is a slam dunk, am just suggesting take a look. Yes it has a heavy euro economics engine. but his group may or may not like it.
Has minis.. .. the request was for a game with minis.. not a miniature game.
Also the request was for a game that was not more of the same.. so why I suggested Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Burkot
msg tools
Actually Eclipse is a game that when I suggested it they really liked it but they all agreed that it looked a little too daunting at the moment. We decided to end up going with Kemet. Thank you everyone for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.