10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for 4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Husalban RM
msg tools
Hi all,

Wanted to get some help finding a game for my play group.

We used to play a lot games like Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne. Lately we're playing games like Citadels, Pillars of the Earth, Munchkin or even sometimes other funny games like Jungle Speed or Samurai Sword.

I've thought about purchasing the game Agricola or Puerto Rico,but I don't know if we need a lot of time to play these games.

I'm looking for a game that you can play in around 45-60 minutes. In this way we play several times.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Regards.

EDIT: A game that we can play 4 or 5 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck Builders don't take a ton of time, so you might want to add one of those to your list. Trains is a fast one, a step above Ticket to Ride in complexity, but still train-related.

The Resistance might be an option for a closer that everyone can play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola and Puerto Rico will take about 1/2 hour per player.

If you want to experiment with a game that has some of the same thought processes but plays markedly faster, try Glass Road. It will only go up to 4 people though.

7 Wonders could be ideal for you. It's a great game that uses MTG style drafting mechanics to develop a tableau.

If you want a high octane injection of pure fun, you should try Galaxy Trucker. It plays quite quickly and is unlike any other game you'll try. You'll build a space ship from parts lying about in a scrapyard then fly it into space and hopefully avoid it crumbling into dust. It plays up to 4, but once you've got good, you can get the expansion which adds pieces for a 5th player.

From the same designer there is also Space Alert, a game that takes half an hour, but is best played back to back as you will need the practice. This is another space game, with similarly dysfunctional ships. However, this time, you are all on the same team trying to stop as it gets assaulted by Commandos, Nuclear Devices and Nebula Crabs. This one plays best at 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Pandemic
Illuminati: Deluxe Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go! and No Thanks! are two pretty light games that my group still really enjoys. You can actually play a few games within 45 minutes.

Among the Stars would fit into 45-60 minutes. The original played 4 players, and the edition I have has extra components to play with 6 players. Stronghold Games is reprinting it, though I'm not sure what the player count is going to be.

You could probably get a game of Small World in within 60 minutes. If your group liked Settlers, you'll probably like Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Husalban RM
msg tools
Thanks for your recommendations! I'll try to research about these games.

I'll let you know if I buy any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to lure you into my wargaming web with the COIN series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
I'll try to lure you into my wargaming web with the COIN series.

Not in 45-60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu is a great 4-player game. Truth is, it can take about 90 minutes if you play to 1000 points like you are supposed to. That said, each hand only takes about 5 or so, so its like a lot of 5 minute games. Or you could play to 500 and then switch teams up. Either way, Tichu is the perfect game for four players if you are alright with a card game.

Otherwise, 7 Wonders gets a big +1 from me. My parents and I can play this in about 15 minutes per game after setup is done. Then you can setup again in a fraction of the time and be playing again really fast.

Race for the Galaxy is another fantastic game that will run close to 45 minutes for you. Maybe longer as you start learning, but my friend and I have played two games during a 30 minute lunch break before (2-player), so I know you can get it pretty quick. This one is a bit heavier than your usual fare, but is closer to Agricola in complexity.

Off the top of my head, here are a few other good choices for you:

Coup
Chronicle
Coloretto
Takenoko
Tokaido
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game (Might be a little longer, but so much fun and so variable that you could play it over and over and have tons of fun where some games might feel samey if repeated.

These are some different games across the board, but I picked most of the games I like a lot or enjoy playing rather often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of great games out there for 4 players. As for something shorter, I'd recommend:

Alhambra
Castle Panic
Lords of Vegas
Quantum
Small World
Sentinels of the Multiverse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.