World of Warcraft: The Boardgame» Forums » General

Subject: Computer version- Any interest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
I loved this game and used to spend my entire weekends playing it. I always wondered how a PC version of this game would work, with the ability to play online with others, adding more content and expansion packs, and creating custom scenarios.

Although this game is a few years old, do you think there would be any interest? And if so, do you think it should be in java or HTML5 for accessibility, or just stick with Windows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SG81 wrote:
I loved this game and used to spend my entire weekends playing it. I always wondered how a PC version of this game would work, with the ability to play online with others, adding more content and expansion packs, and creating custom scenarios.

Although this game is a few years old, do you think there would be any interest? And if so, do you think it should be in java or HTML5 for accessibility, or just stick with Windows?

already exists on PC/Mac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really hope he's serious as that would be well funny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization already did it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools

Heh, okay. We had a little fun. Now, can I get some serious replies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it is a good idea to start it without getting a nod of approval from the rights holders, otherwise you may get hit with a C&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Especially since I was planning on borrowing some of the assets from the WoW client.

I guess I'll have to get the official blessing and make it right. I think my chances are low.

I'm trying to remember the big board game software around here that everyone uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Given that Fantasy Flight Games isn't even allowed to support the boardgame any more, I'd say your chances are non-existent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
I did read the press release on that but it simply said that their agreement 'expired'. Was there something else behind that? An ugly breakup, perhaps?

Who owns the rights to the game mechanics, itself? FFG? If I can just get permission to use those, I could make an open source game engine and import a whole custom set of content. Even if I can't secure rights to use the Warcraft IP (seems kind of impossible when you think about it like that), it can at least support a custom module in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like its a lot of investment to try to create a computer game again. I am sure people would play it, but getting legal consensusand permission from such massive entities.... you're braver than I am.

Also apologies if my comment was trollish, your post could have been read as a great gag post! Sorry again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
SG81 wrote:
I did read the press release on that but it simply said that their agreement 'expired'. Was there something else behind that? An ugly breakup, perhaps?

From what we know it was simply that the licence expired. FFG probably wanted to reinvest that money into the star wars licence.

Quote:
Who owns the rights to the game mechanics, itself? FFG? If I can just get permission to use those, I could make an open source game engine and import a whole custom set of content. Even if I can't secure rights to use the Warcraft IP (seems kind of impossible when you think about it like that), it can at least support a custom module in the future.

FFG should own the mechanics. You can try, but I dopn't think they will give you permission. No harm in asking tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
Goldenturkey wrote:
It looks like its a lot of investment to try to create a computer game again. I am sure people would play it, but getting legal consensusand permission from such massive entities.... you're braver than I am.

Also apologies if my comment was trollish, your post could have been read as a great gag post! Sorry again.

Ah, no worries. I had a good chuckle It is a lot of work, but it would be exciting at the same time, I think. Plus, there's a lot of free third-party engines I can use- Unity, Torque, even Unreal. I believe there are also a number of open-source ones, as well

Mr Skeletor wrote:
FFG should own the mechanics. You can try, but I dopn't think they will give you permission. No harm in asking tho.

You're right, no harm in asking. I'll have to put something together. It was actually the dice mechanics and expansive character creation that drew me in. The use of the Warcraft IP was just extra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, game mechanics themselves cannot be copyright protected.

"Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles."
Quoted from http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

I do think it still would be good form to ask permission, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's of course next to impossible to do on a commercial basis, as you'll have to ask both Blizzard (because of the name/art/whatever) and FFG (because of the text on the cards, unless you redo them all, in which case you'd ask anyway out of sheer humanness).

Doing it by yourself, of course, go ahead.

As you asked of an opinion, I would not be interested in such a version. From my perspective, the point of this board game is that it's a board game. A digital version wouldn't scratch the same itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SG81 wrote:

I would love a mobile version of this game... (iPhone/iPad) Something I could play in 5 minute intervals throughout the day. Right now I have Hearthstone to scratch my Warcraft itch, but I miss this game and don't have the required block of time to play...

I've thought about this over the years - it could "easily" be done in the Starcraft 2 Galaxy Editor - no permission required. Easily import the WoW assets, music, models, etc - just need to create the rules - ready to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOW I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR (or $6.99 at least)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
Frankysan wrote:
Actually, game mechanics themselves cannot be copyright protected.

"Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles."
Quoted from http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

I do think it still would be good form to ask permission, though.

Ah I didn't know that... interesting. But, some mechanics can still be patented, right? If they are, aren't they usually printed on the box or manual somewhere? I might have to dig that info out.

Zimeon wrote:
As you asked of an opinion, I would not be interested in such a version. From my perspective, the point of this board game is that it's a board game. A digital version wouldn't scratch the same itch.

True, nothing beats the experience of getting together and playing with friends and family. But, for me, it's more about the online play, bringing players from different parts of the world together when you want a quick game. Plus, you know, no setup or breakdown

Detective wrote:
I would love a mobile version of this game... (iPhone/iPad) Something I could play in 5 minute intervals throughout the day. Right now I have Hearthstone to scratch my Warcraft itch, but I miss this game and don't have the required block of time to play...

Assuming I can get this off the ground, I don't think a mobile version is completely out of the question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
SG81 wrote:
True, nothing beats the experience of getting together and playing with friends and family. But, for me, it's more about the online play, bringing players from different parts of the world together when you want a quick game. Plus, you know, no setup or breakdown

It's more that I think that the fine points of a board game get lost in the digital transition. It's not just the social aspect, it's the very sense of handling the cards, the dice, being able to change rules at a whim, and so on.

That said, I'm not here to diss your attempt, because I'm sure it would be awesome (to some). But you asked if interested, and since I'd chimed in, I figured I'd answer, that's all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I still feel that a good start for this project would be the SC2 Galaxy Editor. I feel it would be the simplest way to get a "mock-up" of the game, completely legal. You could even catch the eye of Blizzard from there and be like "Hey guys... what you think? Can I make a standalone version? I don't need your backing, I just don't want to be stopped..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
Just a quick update-

Got back word from the legal department and they mentioned I would need a license to use the game design, which they are not granting at this time.

Soooo... That's that :( Regardless of the methods of skirting around the legalities by changing stuff around that can be used, I feel I still need to respect their wishes.

But who knows- maybe they'll change their mind in the future? Maybe? >.>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a shame. I'd be all over a computer program version of this, especially if it linked up players in real time (or even play by mail kind of concept, you know. Take one turn, walk away for an hour, check if they respond....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.