Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Brown
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Dear Fellow Addicts,
being somewhat ecclesiastically minded, and anxious to come up with a simple, easy to administer variant to Carcassonne, I should very much appreciate your thoughts on the following...
Jonathan

Carcassonne - Bischöfe und Kathedralen
Carcassonne - Bishops and Cathedrals

Pieces: 6 meeple-bishops (probably just the shape of a mitre), in player colours.

Gameplay: each player receives a bishop at the beginning of the game. This may be placed instead of the meeple on a newly placed abbey: this becomes his Cathedral. The bishop cannot then be moved, even when the abbey is completed. Scoring is at the end of the game, with the points due to that Abbey - ie from 2 to 9 depending - and additionally two points for every completed city attached to the farm in which the abbey stands, regardless of who owns the farm - by way of tithe.

Variant: with the Inns and Cathedrals extension, a player's bishop can be placed on the Cathedral when this is drawn, stays there until game end, and then scores one point for every tile in the city, regardless of who owns the city - again akin to a tithe.

Notes: Having a Cathedral in a city is great, and encourage you to make the city as big as possible, so you would have thought it sensible to simply wait for a Cathedral to come along and shove your bishop there - but can you guarantee you will get a Cathedral?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Carcassonne - Bischofen und Kathedralen
Would I be correct in assuming that a Cloister (Abbey) located inside a City would function the same as a Cathedral?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brown
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
I don't recall their being any tiles with cloister/abbeys in cities rather than farmland - but as I don't have all the extensions I might be wrong. If there are, they could act as Cathedrals as you suggest.
J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wu
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This tile in The Princess & the Dragon.

IMO, the bishop idea is really good. However, it'd be quite difficult to make a bishop-meeple for each color.

Instead, I suggest to place a meeple upside-down on the cloister tile as a bishop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brown
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Thanks - as I said, I'm not complete on the extensions front! I like that tile - I wonder if it is in the running for the most-features-on-one-tile prize? Personally, I'm not all that keen on the super-meeples that came with Inns and Cathedrals, so might try using those as bishops.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brown
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Arcubalista wrote:
Should be Bischöfe not Bischofen
Danke. Ich haben nur eine bißchen Deutsche, und Ich muß auf einen Babel Fisch bauen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Trinidad
Colorado
flag msg tools
Merry Finnish Christmas Goat - Joulupukki
badge
BGG Support: Come for the Bear Fight, stay for the...! (what? It has been how many years?)
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea and I was thinking that instead of
Quote:
Pieces: 6 meeple-bishops (probably just the shape of a mitre), in player colours.
or
Quote:
Instead, I suggest to place a meeple upside-down on the cloister tile as a bishop.
or
Quote:
I'm not all that keen on the super-meeples that came with Inns and Cathedrals, so might try using those as bishops.

Why don't you just draw a little chi-ro on the front and back of an extra meeple? (the chi-ro is the first two letters of Christ in Greek).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Trinidad
Colorado
flag msg tools
Merry Finnish Christmas Goat - Joulupukki
badge
BGG Support: Come for the Bear Fight, stay for the...! (what? It has been how many years?)
mbmbmbmbmb
also I think that a better name would be Carcassonne - Bischöfe und Diözesen or Carcassonne - Bishops and Dioceses. Because Cathedrals are already in the game and the Diocese is the region that the bishop would rule over and therefore collect tithes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Brown's Bishops and Cathedrals variant has been updated to fit with current expansions (and re-named Bishops and Dioceses). The document can be downloaded via www.carcassonnecentral.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls