Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Trepanier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I want to qualify this. I'm looking for a some 2p recommendations of story games. That is not to say story-telling games (because I think there is a difference). Rather, games where you are playing a story like Eldritch/Arkham Horror and Mice and Mystics.

Are there any more out there? My girlfriend and I LOVE the immersion into a story, especially if we can invest in the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there's always Arkham Horror if you haven't tried it yet. Most people who go from Eldritch to Arkham say it's way too fiddly though.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is probably the most obvious one. The game creates a story through the event deck and with the overall scenario.

Tales of the Arabian Nights and Agents of SMERSH have "choose your own adventure" style stories. Castaways has this as well, though the semi-cooperative nature may not appeal to you and your wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness If one person plays the Keeper and the other a hand full of investigators. Full disclosure I've only played this one with a group of 5 but I hear it works well with 2 if played as mentioned above. As far as story telling games are concerned this is so far my favorite. The investigators don't even know what they have to do to win each scenario until they find clues through exploration and solving puzzles. Each scenario has an opening story and as the investigators progress through the game more of the story is revealed. The board is modular so set up for each story is unique, there are multiple versions of each story, and plenty of mini expansions for more stores. There are a good amount of investigators, same as Eldritch/Arkham Horror. The board and miniatures included are beautiful. The only downside to the game I can think of is there is a relatively long set up time. But I think it's 100% worth it. A bonus is it can go above 2 and if just playing an investigator it's easy to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
badge
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Legends of Andor is worth a try for you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Tales of the Arabian Nights. As a pure storytelling game (leaning about 80% toward storytelling and 20% toward game) it is brilliant. Not a good choice, though, if you are looking for a competitive experience. You are trying to win, but I think the majority of the fun comes from watching each player's story unfold. Being the winner is only secondary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: 2-5 players (4+ hours).

The theme is excellent, with a beautiful board and with a lot of flavor text on the cards (you can decide yourself how much to read it during the game). All characters are unique with some of their own character-specific rules, personal storylines to finish during the game (happy endings give victory points), and their own demons to avoid when solving the case. There are many different murder cases to play. There is a great atmosphere, and although the board and the sheer number of tokens may at first intimidate you, the game mechanisms are actually quite simple when you have played once. Each game takes a long time (5+ hours for your first 2-player game), so stay clear of this game, if that is a problem for you.

Android is more about creating a story for and guiding your character (and punishing the other characters if they set themselves vulnerable to their demons) than playing as your character.

I wish I could get this played more than once a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
another +1 for Tales of the Arabian Nights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castaways is consider by many to be the lesser game next to Robinson Crusoe, but it really fleshes out the story-telling premise.

One that's kind of left-field would be Stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.