James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It appears that the Catholic Church is beginning to entertain the notion of making outer space their next great mission field and extaterrestrials their future prospects for conversion to Christianity. After all, several years ago, a Vatican astroomer referred to extraterrestrials as "our brethren" because he considered them fellow intelligent beings created by God.

> Excerpts from the May 12, 2014 Huffington Post news story by Antonia Blumberg entitled:

Pope Francis Says He Would Baptize Martians, Asks, "Who Are We To Close Doors?"

Pope Francis said in his morning Mass on Monday, May 12, 2014 that if Martians came to him asking to be baptized he wouldn't turn them away, Vatican radio reports.

The Pope's message was one of inclusion, saying the Holy Spirit is not always predictable. He told a story from the Acts of Apostles in which Peter observes a group of non-Christians receiving the Holy Spirit. Other Christians later criticize Peter for consorting with these people, to which Pope Francis responded: "That was unthinkable. If –- for example -- tomorrow an expedition of Martians came, and some of them came to us, here... Martians, right? Green, with that long nose and big ears, just like children paint them... And one says, 'But I want to be baptized!' What would happen?"

Pope Francis would not be one to turn away someone seeking baptism -- even if they were an alien. He urges clergy to foster an open door policy for all to receive church teachings.

"Who are we to close doors? In the early Church, even today, there is the ministry of the ostiary [usher]. And what did the ostiary do? He opened the door, received the people, allowed them to pass. But it was never the ministry of the closed door, never."

Pope Francis is not the first one to hint at alien baptism. Vatican scientist Guy Consolmagno suggested in 2010 that aliens might have souls and could be baptized if they asked for it.

"Any entity –- no matter how many tentacles it has –- has a soul," Consolmagno said in a talk preceding the British Science Festival in Birmingham, England.

The next two videos contain disparate content, some of which is from mainstream news programs several years ago that I'd never seen before and which I'm unable to locate elsewhere. For that reason, be aware that if you choose to view these videos, they're best viewed for a combination of speculative and informative entertainment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacequistadors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, just get help-- seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it isn't official dogma that all entities have souls, at least if the dogma employs the same definition of "entity" that I do, according to which a paramecium is an "entity".

My mother has said that if it was proved to her that there was no alien life in the universe, she would consider that evidence of the existence of God (She is an atheist). Mutatis mutandis, sentient aliens would raise some interesting theological conundrums...but I'm pretty sure Pope Francis was just embracing diversity in his usual liberal way. (Using 'liberal' in the very special sense it is used when talking about senior dignitaries of Holy Mother Church).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I think it's a good idea to be receptive (i.e., whatever floats your boat). Because otherwise, shit like this might happen. Just nod and agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring a gun to a puppet fight
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, James. They won't force you.
If you stop waving your tentacles around, they might not notice you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually the old boy might be way ahead of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mistermarino wrote:

Nobody anticipated the Spanish Inquisition, either. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't blame me, I voted for Kudos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
"Is the Space Pope reptilian?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gozer the Gozerian

New York
New York
msg tools
badge
mb
she2 wrote:
I think it's a good idea to be receptive (i.e., whatever floats your boat). Because otherwise, shit like this might happen. Just nod and agree.

That's kind of embarrassing. Seriously, not one of my better haircuts, but it was the 1980s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Banished From This Thread: Gozer The Gozerian Sent Packing To the "Freakovision" Thread

she2 wrote:

Since Gozer the Gozerian would be a metaphysical entity of a supernatural plane of existence (whom the Pope might find exorcisable but not baptizable) and since Gozer is not an extraterrestrial of our material universe, I'm crossing the streams and hereby banishing Gozer to the "Freakovision" thread because he/she/it resembles a demonically possessed version of British '80s pop singer Sheena Easton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

mistermarino wrote:

Nobody anticipated the Spanish Inquisition, either. :angry:
Spacish Inquisition...sorry that was worst then the last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
My mother has said that if it was proved to her that there was no alien life in the universe, she would consider that evidence of the existence of God (She is an atheist). Mutatis mutandis, sentient aliens would raise some interesting theological conundrums...but I'm pretty sure Pope Francis was just embracing diversity in his usual liberal way. (Using 'liberal' in the very special sense it is used when talking about senior dignitaries of Holy Mother Church).

The proof is that we haven't had our planet cracked open with meteors fired at relativistic speeds. Because I can't imagine any alien species that would survive long enough to have that capability not using it on anyone else who might conceivably develop it (to use against them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The legacy of Saul lives on, first the Gentiles now the Extraterrestrials. When will it end? Will even Interdimensionals be offered salvation? Heresy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheChin! wrote:
The legacy of Saul lives on, first the Gentiles now the Extraterrestrials. When will it end? Will even Interdimensionals be offered salvation? Heresy!

If we were really following the legacy of Saul, we would first kill a couple of aliens for believing in the wrong faith, then convert to their religion, claim it was the real deal all along, and finally add a couple of silly rules to it, like women having to wear green skirts on Thursdays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
myopia wrote:
Don't blame me, I voted for Kudos.

I loved those when they first came out when I was a kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.