Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all. I'm a long time board gamer and have a 14 year old son who's finally getting into the hobby. He and I have been having a blast playing Twilight Struggle and A Few Acres of Snow. I love these games because they are deep and even offer a small history lesson in the process. And the card driven play make it much easier to pick up and go in my opinion.

Can any wargamers out there recommend another title that is 2 player only, and similar to these games? Not looking for anything super obscure or hard to find either. I'd like to also stay away from pure counter based games with charts and lots of looking up rules. Gotta keep it simple... I'd say nothing harder to pick up than Twilight Struggle is.

Thanks very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Riley341 wrote:
Hey all. I'm a long time board gamer and have a 14 year old son who's finally getting into the hobby. He and I have been having a blast playing Twilight Struggle and A Few Acres of Snow. I love these games because they are deep and even offer a small history lesson in the process. And the card driven play make it much easier to pick up and go in my opinion.

Can any wargamers out there recommend another title that is 2 player only, and similar to these games? Not looking for anything super obscure or hard to find either. I'd like to also stay away from pure counter based games with charts and lots of looking up rules. Gotta keep it simple... I'd say nothing harder to pick up than Twilight Struggle is.

Thanks very much.

Note that neither of those games are generally seen to be war games. Just war themed.

going up the weight ladder...

1775: Rebellion (2v2, multiple factions per person if desired, also a borderline war game. But awesome either way)
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)
A Distant Plain (4 sided, but very good AI from flow charts - also GMT Games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hold the Line: Frederick's War is available, easy to learn and a lot of fun. It has a ton of fan-created scenarios to augment the ones that came in the box and plays in about 45 minutes. Nice for shorter sessions. It's pure counters, but no real lookup tables and no grind. The action is brisk.

Commands & Colors: Ancients is in a similar vein and reaches into the Roman Republic. Different genre for sure.

I always recommend Warriors of God but it has become very hard to find.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riley341 wrote:
Gotta keep it simple... I'd say nothing harder to pick up than Twilight Struggle is.

Considering TS has a weight of 3.4, you aren't really limiting yourself here.

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
Washington's War
Strike of the Eagle

Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939, has hex and chits, but it is on the lighter side(3.0). The winter aspect offers a nice twist.

Both have a weight of 3.4
Rommel in the Desert
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
No Retreat! will change your mind about hex-and-counter games. A little hard to find as the GMT reprint(The Russian Front) is in P500. VictoryPointGames may still have some copies.

Bulge 20 is another winner from the VPG folks. Lots of card based mind games as Eisenhower must decide/decipher whether the Germans are going all-in or not in the Ardennes. Only 20 counter total so another low counter density hex-and-counter game.

Julius Caesar, like any good Columbia block game lots of dice rolling but still very strategic.

Who doesn't love Combat Commander. Almost no charts and does not require a binder to play. Yes that was a jab at ASL. Fine system, just not what would work here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies you guys! I reviewed some of the options given and Washington's War and Combat Commander are now in a shopping cart waiting for purchase. CC looks spot on for what I was looking for so thanks much Patrick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have missed something obvious, but why hasn't anyone said Memoir '44 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1989: Dawn of Freedom is Twilight Struggle's sister game. It focuses on Eastern Europe during the cold war. If you're not burned out on the Cold War yet.

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? is more of a current events study. If you take the game too seriously you may not enjoy it as it projects a level of paranoia and uncertainty that was prevalent during the time of the game's creation among some people. But it's very educational and you're learning about key players and events on both sides. I make it sound more "rah rah go America" than it really is.

Once you're up to it I highly recommend Paths of Glory. It's the finest CDG I've ever played. It's not necessarily more complicated than Twilight Struggle there are just a few exceptions to certain situations that arise and it's tough to keep track of them all at first. You can still play the game and forget an exception or two on your first few plays and it won't break the game.

And all the above are card driven games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
World at War: Eisenbach Gap Deluxe
Pure fun with Nato and Soviets in the 80s.
Scenario-based and a short rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
I might have missed something obvious, but why hasn't anyone said Memoir '44 ?

Been fired in terms of historical wargaming by the two C&C tiles. I might add that I think it has been replaced as a gateway WWII game depending on what one is looking for, see Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles and Heroes of Normandie. It is a decent game, but again, it has been replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Memoir is an excellent choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Memoir is an excellent choice.

Should have included it in the OP but I already have Memoir 44 as well. Don't really consider that a wargame of the caliber I'm looking for. Paths of Glory seems pretty chunky but another I'm interested in now. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riley341 wrote:
Thanks for the replies you guys! I reviewed some of the options given and Washington's War and Combat Commander are now in a shopping cart waiting for purchase. CC looks spot on for what I was looking for so thanks much Patrick!

I could recommend many other games, but the two you have picked are great choices for what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Diskwars is cheap, fun and fast (90 minutes max). I love it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146418/warhammer-diskwars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
Warhammer: Diskwars is cheap, fun and fast (90 minutes max). I love it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146418/warhammer-diskwars
Not too much history in it though huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May also seem a bit chunky at first glance, but if you feel inclined to push the weight limit a bit (BGG users have it at a 3.6, so not that far off a 3.4), I'd highly recommend The Guns of Gettysburg. The rule book can seem pretty dense at the first pass through, but the systems are so elegant that after a couple of run throughs, it's very managable.

The gameplay has a real feeling of civil war combat and the art design for the game is gorgeous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
You could always go for the C&C game Battle Cry.

Plays like Memoir '44, but American Civil War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.