Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bevel
United States
St Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a thought that changing the action placement number on the yellow side Sheriff from #1 to 9. (or 15 if you have the expansion) This would fix him from being overpowered. (In theory, have not play tested this)

The player still gets to select a uncontested action and gets an extra cowboy, but after the other players have each had one chance to select one first.

Maybe the money would also need to be adjusted with this?

What do others think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's overpowered in the first place.

His only real benefit is first and exclusive grab of an action or building. His income restriction also balances out.

He's certainly a great first take, but then that extra cowboy usually puts him in someone else's hand every turn.

Over my many games, I've seen no correlation with the first sheriff grab and any record of resultant wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
Over my many games, I've seen no correlation with the first sheriff grab and any record of resultant wins.

I would say that, if anything, it's the player that grabs him in the last round that has the advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
mmesich wrote:

I would say that, if anything, it's the player that grabs him in the last round that has the advantage.

This matches my thoughts and experience. Last round is where he shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
Gonjeshk wrote:
mmesich wrote:

This matches my thoughts and experience. Last round is where he shines.

The $5/point space is nice, but still rarely seems to correlate to the win. It's still only marginal over $6/point for players with large reserve roles.

Furthermore, it seems to me that more often then not the player in the lead at the end of resolution is rarely the final winner as the extra $10 and then $6 per point combined with building points usually vault someone else up and over whoever had the lead at the end point of the turn.

I think the emotions of the moment may be trumping the analysis of the role over time. I mostly play with a combination of base and expansion roles now, but I'm pretty sure I have at least a dozen plays with the standard sheriff to base this opinion on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bevel
United States
St Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not saying it's impossible to win without him, but pretty much every game he is available he gets chosen first on every round and thus I feel he is overpowered. I think my suggestion fixes that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If your experience is that he is taken first on every round, perhaps you're experiencing groupthink.

What I have enjoyed about the game is the creative strategies that are available in response to what other players do. I've won with no buildings, and lost with no buildings. I've won taking the sheriff most rounds, and lost taking him most rounds. In my experience with the game, which is much less than some people have, there is no dominant strategy. And this is even more true with the expansion. Every game needs to be approached differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.