Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SO HELLO. My Brother and me just had our first Epic game with the Transport. I have to say, that I severely underestimated that thing.

He had it stuffed out with Slicer Tools, Frequency Jammer, Combat Retrofit and the title Bright Hope, giving it remarkable use as a combat beast!
The ability to give every stressed ship one damage was actually more present than I first thought. Believe it or not, when you fly your TIE-Swarm towards that beast you have to first get past it's reinforced Fore section. Reinforced means one guaranteed dodge, so the TIE's in my Squad can only give it 1 (though we did argue a bit if Backstabber's ability would kick in, since that thing has no firing arc at all) damage most of the time. And then there are of course misses, even with rerolls, and that bloody thing has a hull of 10 and shields of 5 and the WED-15 droid, you can barely hurt it at all. My Squad was made up from 5 TIEs, 2 decked out bombers, 4 TIE-Ints and a Firespray-31. My recommendation:
Forget the firespray and don't even bother with bombs. All those Fighters coming at us were blocking actions and made my formation split up so I couldn't even hit that bulk of a thing at first. So after the first 3 rounds I gave up to kill that thing and tried to fight the small ships, but my force was so split up because I didn't want to hit that bloody transport, my brothers X-Wings took them apart. He had the complete Rogue Squadron as his fleet: Wedge, Wes, Hobbie, Tycho, Ibtisam, Ten Numb, Tarn Mison, all with some upgrades. The best thing was the double stress he gave to Soontir Fel via jamming. SUre I git two focus tokesn from them, but I could only clear one of them next round and so got hit by the slicer tools and then finished by Wedge and Tarn. Carnor Jax was survived a little bit longer, but my other TIE Ints fell also victim to blocked Koiograns and slicer Tools. Sure it's just one damage, but it is ONE damage thats undodgeable. Add a situation where you can't fly in a way to clear stress the next round and Hobbie with R3-A2 who is stressing your peops out you can really do some damage with the 6 energy you get from the Bright Hope title altogether.

I need to rethink my tactic, as the Firespray with Heavy Laser Cannon sounded good, but in reality was to bulky and blocked my own ships in the desperate attempts to net get crushed by the transport.

Oh and to not forget: THAT BLOODY THING CAN REGENERATE IT'S SHIELD FASTER THAN YOU CAN SAY R2-D2.

I really like the thing, but we neeeeed imperial huge ships soon, or the TIE-Defender with heavy lasers, so we have a better replacement for the firespray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sound like a bunch of bees trying to sting a whale. Heeehheeeee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(snip) though we did argue a bit if Backstabber's ability would kick in, since that thing has no firing arc at all (end snip)

I think (but am not 100% sure) that abilities on Small and Large ships which referr to other ships will have a ruling that that ability referrs to Small and Large ships only, not Epic ships.

Backstabber will therefore NOT get a bonus, Biggs will NOT soak up shots from an Epic ship etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played an epic game this weekend too. It's honestly best just to kill the support ships first. With the reinforce action, and the ability to regenerate shields, the transport can be very difficult to take down. Best to take out their support craft then just shoot the transport when it's not reinforced.

Avoid it's flight path, as it can and will decimate a few ships that way .

I'd avoid bringing interceptors, honestly. They're really squishy and will die too quickly. I found TIE fighters, bombers and Lambda's to do very well in epic play. Kagi is excellent protection from assault missiles, and Jendon + ST321 can support bombers very well. Problems with stress-inducing transports? Cpt. Yorr is the pilot for you! Lambda's are amazing in epic play, try it, you'll be impressed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dirk
msg tools
The EPIC tourney rules mention only Biggs specifically.

Page 3 of the EPIC tourney rules...

Quote:
Epic Play Card Restrictions

This section describes official restrictions and changes to card text in Epic
X-Wing tournaments:

• Biggs Darklighter’s card text should read “Other friendly small and
large ships at Range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker
could target you instead.”
• Gunner, Luke Skywalker, and Navigator cannot be equipped to huge ships.

while I believe your could be right (they will eventually FAQ), for now there is no mention of additional restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dirk
msg tools
I think Slicer tools does make for a really good setup.

when I played a 200pt EPIC game, Imperials handily won. My transport didn't have Slicer and I either didn't have Torlyn Farr to strip focus/evade actions.

Imperials just ignored my transport and tried not to get run over, and didn't.

Granted I had horrible rolls, still Imperials had a pretty big ship advantage.

I honestly think the transport has to be a threat to be worthwhile, which means slicer tools, Torlyn Farr or the Jammer.

Force your opponent to either get hammered by the transport or waste turns killing it. Just like a biggs or any other first target...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcelvdpol wrote:
Quote:
(snip) though we did argue a bit if Backstabber's ability would kick in, since that thing has no firing arc at all (end snip)

I think (but am not 100% sure) that abilities on Small and Large ships which referr to other ships will have a ruling that that ability referrs to Small and Large ships only, not Epic ships.

Backstabber will therefore NOT get a bonus, Biggs will NOT soak up shots from an Epic ship etc.

Backstabber does not work, because the ship has no firing arc. Don't remember where I found this piece of info, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
marcelvdpol wrote:
Quote:

Backstabber does not work, because the ship has no firing arc. Don't remember where I found this piece of info, though.

It is in the regular FAQ - Backstabber can't be out of arc on a ship with no arc. In the FAQ, it comes up in reference to Mission 1. Because the Senator's Shuttle has no arc, Backstabber never gets his bonus against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:

It is in the regular FAQ - Backstabber can't be out of arc on a ship with no arc. In the FAQ, it comes up in reference to Mission 1. Because the Senator's Shuttle has no arc, Backstabber never gets his bonus against it.

When in doubt ask the doctor! Thanks Dr. Lucky!

But since the Corvette has firing arcs Backstabber's ability will apply? How neat. And will Outmaneuver cancel reinforce out?

Man so many questions...

And now for the advice: I agree that Interceptoras are not really that much better against the huge ship in my squad. Problem is, I only got 5 TIEs, 2 Bombers, 4 Interceptors (two of them from Aces, so no skill 1 pilots) 1 Lambda and 1 Firespray. Any advice how to best make this work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about it, if you want to take it down you go all in with bombers and torpedoes, since its movement gives you enough time to target lock, then focus and shoot on the next turn. The idea of using the Bright Hope, making reinforce a +2 evade, against a swarm of ties is both amazing and terrifying. Unless you're starved for points or running a bunch of them in an epic game I almost don't see why you'd take the others, or at least the Duty Free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.