The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: An Esgaroth Advanture Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, somewhere in discussions about underdeveloped and not developed at all traits at the FFG forums, someone mentioned Esgaroth trait. So, here I present you another of my brainfarts, an Advanture Pack worth of player cards, dedicated to the Esgaroth and it's essential inhabitants - the Craftsmen.

OCTGN Set: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yz5poche6wo3xoy/Esgaroth%20beta.ra...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well-done! I love the idea of an attachment placed on another attachment.

A few small corrections I noticed:

* For the Toll Gate, it should read "...add one resource to a Esgaroth or Nobel's..."

* For Hired Blade, it should read "...if all of your heroes have no resources..."

These are fun enough that I would totally order them on ArtzCow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the spellcheck. English is not my native, as you can see. I'll fix the spelling next time I get to the editing.

P.S.: I can make an OCTGN set out of these, if somebody is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Tose
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you do make the OCTGN set, let me know and I can add it to the official release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrsinor wrote:
* For the Toll Gate, it should read "...add one resource to an Esgaroth or Nobel's..."

Just a small fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice-looking set of custom cards. Where did you get the art for them? It feels very much like FFG art -- did you get it from other FFG products, or from Internet sources?

While we're pointing out typos, I noticed a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

In The Toll Gate, the word "oncer" should be "once" (in "Limit oncer per round").

In several cards, you have the word "the" before the card name. But in English, this isn't needed. This occurs twice in the response text for Master of Esgaroth (which should read "Response: After any number of resources are added to the Master of Esgaroth's resource pool, ready the Master of Esgaroth" -- also note the extra 's in that test, which is another minor correction to your text), and it also occurs once in A Day at the Market (which should read "You can only play 1 copy of the A Day at the Market each round.")

These are the only mistakes I've noticed that haven't been pointed out by someone else. And again, I'm really impressed by the quality of the art you chose for these cards. It fits in very well with the art of the official cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the typos.

Art is taken from the DeviantArt website mostly, sometimes from Google Image Search. It's really hard to find a fitting and well-looking piece of art for the particular card. I hope people I took it from don't mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
jrsinor wrote:
* For the Toll Gate, it should read "...add one resource to an Esgaroth or Noble's..."

Just a small fix.

Just another small fix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
Thanks for the typos.

Art is taken from the DeviantArt website mostly, sometimes from Google Image Search. It's really hard to find a fitting and well-looking piece of art for the particular card. I hope people I took it from don't mind

Even though this project isn't for profit, it might be nice to cite them at the bottom so people can check out their work later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't kept their credentials...

Fixed all the pointed out typos. Working on some additional cards. Will upload them aling with the fixed versions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated images with the spelling and typo fixes. Slightly reworked Artificer.
Added new leadership ally.

Here are some card I'm highly doubtful about and would like to hear someones opinion on:

Those cards are The Toll Gate-like, obviously. Just an thoughts on what if Toll Gate was not an unique to it's kind and there was a whole subtype of cards like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:

Those cards are The Toll Gate-like, obviously. Just an thoughts on what if Toll Gate was not an unique to it's kind and there was a whole subtype of cards like it.

I think it's a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably getting out of hand, but I had a day off and I spent it thinking about this stuff. Many new cards, so quality and balance might(and will) be on the bad side.

I did more research, and found out that Esgaroth traded actvely with dwarves...

...elves of the woodlands...

...and even easterlings! During the times of peace, of course.

And here is 3 polished new environment cards(The Toll Gate also got a slight text update):

This expansion works a lot with weapons, armors and attachments in general, but lacked attachments of its own. Here's some fine pieces of Esgarothian craft:

"The Men of Lake-town traded with Dorwinion (a human realm on the fertile coastal plain on the west shore of the Sea of Rhûn) in a unique way; wine barrels were floated down from Thranduil's caverns in Mirkwood (the Elves were known as copious wine drinkers, as found in the Hobbit) along the Celduin down to Lake-town, where they were redirected to Dorwinion. The wine was then paid for and filled with the necessary goods before being shipped back north, and the cycle of trade resumed once more."

Making unique characters for the Esgorath is challenging indeed, given no information about anybody living there...

And now, my weak point: events. I am really proud of these two though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously I'm loving this project. Here are a few notes/ideas.

To polish the set up:
- come up with a small set icon for the bottom corner
- see if you can research the illustrators behind the cards

Ideas to think about:
- can the set hold its own against "The Battle of Lake-Town"?
- Would it be worth designing a new Bard the Bowman hero for this set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about Lake-Town... never actually played it. Probably not, because I think Lake-Town is a combat-centric quest, and craftsmen of Esgaroth are conservative, power-nurturing subjects. But who knows...

I would love to, but I think two same named Esgaroth heroes would be too much for this little trait. I'm planning on doing two additional Esgaroth heroes(for lore and spirit), just wondering who it might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So. Here is my go on some more Esgaroth heroes...

And here is a couple of cards I found a better fitting art for:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding work. These cards look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Outstanding work. These cards look great!
Thanks a lot. Though I said it a lot, I would say it again: thank you for the photoshop templates, I wouldn't be able to do all of this without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is little something, before I go to work:

A couple of boring allies... But sometimes boredom is necessary:

This fella should provide some so much needed help with questing for Tactcs, even outside of the Esgaroth:

Final attachment of the set:

And some funny events:

Generally, all that remains to be done is two events, one for Tactics and one for Lore. I am seriously considering making another round of allies though, and some neutral cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final batch of allies. Now just a little bit of events left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done some testing. As a result, some cards got tweaked, some got reworked, and some even scrapped and replaced. I've assembled an OCTGN set with all the fixes and I would be greatful if anybody gives it a spin and provides me with their thoughts on it. Thanks.

P.S.: I've updated the original post with link for the OCTGN Set and link to the image gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While main "expansion" is in testing, I had a crazy idea for the first "ap"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While testing and further developing this Esgaroth stuff (yeah, I'm still doint it, lol), I had a craziest outside of setting idea:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.